Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
on line
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I don't live near the beach but I might go soon and take a quick drive in the sand. I was wondering if after the beach besides washing the outside do I have to wash the undercarriage so my X doesn't rot or should I be ok as long as beach trips aren't frequent (which they wont).

Thanks,

Ultimate

·
on line
3,262 Posts
I dont think that sand would be too much of a problem... its pretty much just like dirt (i could be wrong though). what I would watch out for is salt water. If you drive on the beach and then go in the ocean along the shore line... You would definitely need to rinse the underside off.

·
on line
5,614 Posts
Ultimate said:
have to wash the undercarriage so my X doesn't rot
Hey a cool trick is to set up a sprinkler and drive over it back and forth. Esp. useful if you've driven along the shore skimming the water 'cause you wanna get that salt water off.

I was in Pismo Beach for a coupla days; sand, water, etc. Came home and sprayed the undercarriage at the coin wash and nuthin, no rust - eveything still look hunky dory.

·
on line
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tips guys!!

·
on line
1,054 Posts
Yeah, best thing to do is wash the under side, even though you may not be driving in the water, you have to remember tide does come in and covers that sand so there is still a ton of salt in there. better safe then sorry though.

·
on line
104 Posts
Hey a cool trick is to set up a sprinkler and drive over it back and forth.
hahaha.... i can see that now.... sprinklers on in the yard and a big suv driving back and forth in the wet soggy lawn....
or better yet, wait till your neighbors sprinklers turn on and just go drive through their yard a couple times lol..

but seriously... look at all the rusted cars up north... thats from the salt on the roads... the sea salt will do the same thing to your rig.. so like stated above, just go to a quarter car wash and simply soak the undercarriage..
... or go drive your x frame deep in some freshwater and ALL CLEAN :geek:

·
on line
4,593 Posts
Keep in mind that underbody armor will prevent verticle spray from reaching underbody components.

Sometimes you have to get up underneath and direct the spray to flood whatever is sitting on the armor. Mud and snow are great examples of what will collect there.

I can only imagine that salt engourged sand will collect there as well.

·
on line
2,876 Posts
I go to the beach alot, just not in the xterra but in other previous 4x4's.

When I go there for a whole week, I wash the truck at least 3 times during 7 days. One part of the wash is hosing underneath. i don't get all anal, just kneel and spray up on everything. That seems to do the trick. never had a problem with rust etc.......

i NEVER drive through the surf though. That is just asking for trouble IMHO. I do drive right next to the ocean, where all the spray is coming up off the waves, but the amount of waxxing i do, plus washing it frequently in those conditions, safeguards it from paint problems etc...

:)

fyi, I ALWAYS wax the truck before going on the week vacations at the beach, and after.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts