Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
on line
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im debating whether to lift the suspension and apart from the fact that the X would look great with one on, is it really that essential? I know i wont be doing any extreme off roading even though i would love to. Do any of you guys in this forum that actually do some offroading not have lifts? and if so, how has your X performed against an X with a lift in a similar situation?

·
on line
2,077 Posts
the advantage of a lift is to gain additional clearance for larger tires, or to improve over the stock suspension components with better ones. There are a number on here who do not have lifts, just tires. If you want a cheap lift for the height you can do a spacer/shackle lift to gain height, but keep the stock suspension ride and components.

·
on line
652 Posts
I am all stock and my x does fine spend the cash on some sliders and pans then get some more agressive tires

·
on line
707 Posts
Mine is not lifted either and I have decided against a few roads because of that and a lack of armor, but for the most part I have done fine. I went with tires first because I didn't like the way the stock tires did in the snow and ice and also getting up to some fishing spots I drive a pretty rocky road that has been known to cause flats. My next $ mod will be sliders then a small basic lift with improved suspension I think.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
If you dont think you need a lift... then you definitely dont need one! Just go for all-terrain tires that are slightly larger than stock, and you should do fine.

·
on line
1,149 Posts
My truck did fine stock with just tires and sliders and doubled up skids. I even did some pretty nasty trails out in Big Bear. If you dont want to break the bank, just go with a spacer and shackle lift cause once you start adding sliders and armor, your truck will get slightly lower. Aside from being able to fit larger tires with a lift, you also gain ground clearance which can be nice when the trails do start to turn nasty.

·
on line
704 Posts
I don't have a lift. I was thinking of getting all the parts and installing it this spring, but my financial situation and attitude towards driving has changed. I realized that I am doing more of expedition driving (going somewhere remote) as oppose to intentional rock climbing or just happening to be in the area with a large puddle full of mud, rocks and all the other crap that you really have to find :)

The gentleman's law suggests that if you are in doubt about a purchase, then you do not need it. That's why I am waiting for the point where I will really need a lift and if I do, then I am going to get one.

·
on line
853 Posts
Doesn't sound like you really need a lift from what you've said. The only other reason I can think you might want to change the suspension for is additional weight-carrying capacity. That's the main reason I did one, because I wanted the extra leaf springs in the rear.

I'd suggest some good tires first (BFG ATs in the stock size that comes on the OR model). That will make a huge difference.

·
on line
1,695 Posts
I don't have a lift (installed, anyways). I have done plenty of easy and moderate trails with only a set of sliders and no rear swaybar. Wheel it first and figure out why you need a lift (for me, it is for that little extra slider/frame clearance and to help reduce the rear bottoming out). If you have an S, spend the money for new tires and some sliders; if an OR, just get a set of sliders and go wheel the thing!

·
on line
1,084 Posts
I have the same dilema...I have an X model and i want a lift for the looks but dont think i need it so i've been putting it off. I invested in some sliders and next will be some tires. But the lifted trucks look mean....it's the to lift or not to lift question

·
on line
127 Posts
I spent about two years wheeling my pathfinder before lifting it and that thing sat lower than the X. Take it out on some trails... so far the X has been able to go further than I felt like going thus I haven't lifted it. The undercarriage on this truck is pretty well tucked up and out of the way. Tires first, then sliders and some skids and you'll be fine. I like the stock height X, much bigger and it's going to stop fitting in parking garages.. Well at least in Ohio, since I've moved to Texas most parking garages seem to have 10ft clearance for those monster trucks everyone seems to have around here...

·
on line
360 Posts
The clearance of my parking garage at work is 6'4", so the X just barely squeezes in at stock height. At first that was a deterrent for me even considering a lift, but now, all I can think about is the next excuse to take the truck offroad and make it as mean looking as I can. Once I catch up on my credit cards its only a matter of time until I end up springing for the Radflo/UCA/Bils/Deaver/Shackle set.. parking out in the rain everyday wont be that bad.. hehe

·
on line
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
but how much will the X sag once i install sliders, skids, and rear bumper? anyone measure their x when they installed their armor? i was thinking the X would need a minor lift to recover some of its clearance.

·
on line
704 Posts
c.p said:
but how much will the X sag once i install sliders, skids, and rear bumper? anyone measure their x when they installed their armor? i was thinking the X would need a minor lift to recover some of its clearance.
This question has been answered here several times. I am not sure if you will need a 3" lift but a fully Shrocked X will not handle well and will sag according to people who installed armor on stock cars. The rear bumper and the sliders will add some weight to the car. I am not sure how the rear suspension that is known for bottoming out will handle it. There was a post somewhere where an owner with sliders noticed a 3/8" dip.

The only thing that makes me think of a lift is the weight of all the skids, the rear bumper and the sliders.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts