Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Those are sick! I wish I had the skills and the tools necessary to do that. Looking forward to seeing finished product.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice job. I'm liking the kick more and more.
Yeah my lady didnt like trying to get skis and snowboards off the roof on my old ones espically with ski boots on :rant:

So they are on the new ones.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Anywhooo..... I will try to get Slider Drawings up tomorrow.
Looks familiar. Was this ever on TV?
Like this and this is my design.... Quite different and designed correctly.

Attachments

·
on line
10,980 Posts
I was going to say it had a bit of Atom going on ... you can't tease a bunch of gear-heads like that. There's no "anywhooo" after that string of posts ... more info please, and no, the three line data dump isn't going to cut it.

Oh, and yeah, I like the sliders in practice just as much as I thought I would after seeing the initial CAD. Is that go-fast racer (got a name for it, btw?) your day job?

You mentioned "learned as I went and a lot of practice" and all that; but you must have gobs of free time, if you don't at least have some background in that world (the tech/mechanical side of things) ... I'd guess though, that it's at least somehow related to what you do day-in and day-out.

If you'd rather not say, I can respect that ... just looks like a fun toy, is all ... we can't all be independently wealthy with the time (and tools) to build dedicated track cars and outfit mild offroaders in our garages; so when someone hints at that, you have to forgive a bit of internet drool. :eek:ccasion5:

ETA: Thanks for posting the link, you jumped in there while I was typing ... I'll have to check it out.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was going to say it had a bit of Atom going on ... you can't tease a bunch of gear-heads like that. There's no "anywhooo" after that string of posts ... more info please, and no, the three line data dump isn't going to cut it.

Oh, and yeah, I like the sliders in practice just as much as I thought I would after seeing the initial CAD. Is that go-fast racer (got a name for it, btw?) your day job?

You mentioned "learned as I went and a lot of practice" and all that; but you must have gobs of free time, if you don't at least have some background in that world (the tech/mechanical side of things) ... I'd guess though, that it's at least somehow related to what you do day-in and day-out.

If you'd rather not say, I can respect that ... just looks like a fun toy, is all ... we can't all be independently wealthy with the time (and tools) to build dedicated track cars and outfit mild offroaders in our garages; so when someone hints at that, you have to forgive a bit of internet drool. :eek:ccasion5:

ETA: Thanks for posting the link, you jumped in there while I was typing ... I'll have to check it out.
Trying to keep the post on topic... that's all

Time! Ha!
I work a day job from 6am to 2:30 and two nights a week I teach at the college to earn money to build that car. I also have a 3yr old

Money! Ha Too!
Just what I saved from teaching and my yearly bonus from work. I also have a step daughter at Hopkins so i have no money :(

I am run the engineering side of things at my company where I design high speed high shock/vibration electrical connectors for the military, aerospace and weapon systems markets.

like mentioned before I made a drunk bet that I could build a car (street legal) and I was going to short cut it some but the more I got into it the more I thought it best to start from scratch. So almost everything on the car is designed from scratch. I really did learn as I went. Had to learn how to machine, fab, weld etc., The carbon fiber work for the floor dash and body panels has been the hardest.

I think the college thing may fall through soon so I have been working on getting it up on Kickstarter to fund. In return I am releasing all of the plans, drawings, etc for free.

Anyone in the area is free to come and see it if they want. And if you have video skills... maybe we can trade for off road parts. :eek:ccasion5:

eventually everyone would end up knowing about the car... someone comes over sees the car... tells another xterra dude... then its on the forums, happened at clubxterra and i had to delete the thread...:banghead:

attached some pics (converting to pdf really hurt the photo quality)

Attachments

·
on line
10,980 Posts
Dunno about video skills ... but can definitely feel you on the time and money. I work a full-time engineering job as well (satellite design & proposal work), and have a one year old ... sounds like you're someone I need to at least share a beer with sometime.

Nice work on the car ... I won't side-track this thread any more. How about those sliders, everyone? Look good, eh? :D

Seriously, though, I like what you did with those and with the skidplates. Any thoughts to how you're going to coat them?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts