Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Banned
4,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 5lb CO2 tank (from a kegerator) and was tossing around setting it up for airing up tires. Being it's only 5lb tank, I doubt it would do all 4 tires (33" tires from 12psi to 36psi). How big of a tank is needed to do all 4 tires?
A coworker is giving me a 150lb CO2 tank so refilling a small on board tank wouldn't be a problem and the CO2 tank would be so much faster than my compressor.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I can't say for sure, but seems like you'd be able to get at least a couple fills out of a 5lb tank with 33s. I was averaging about 4-5 fill ups on my 35s (about 15 psi-35 psi fill) on a 10lb tank.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
ive been using my 20lb tank for almost 6 months now. that includes airing up a few times, filling up the tube at the lake, friends tires if they need it, and housekeeping the back of the X when it gets sandy. I expect it to last about a year on a refill.

Also, not sure where you get it filled by my local airgas only exchanges 20lb or larger tanks of co2. not wanting to wait or wanting to deal with out of date tanks, i opted for the 20lb. Kinda big in the back of the X but doesnt take up much more space than a 10lb.

·
on line
22,508 Posts
I got a regular regulator from eBay with some quick disconnects. Should do the same thing..I hope

Not really. Depends on what you got. Most of the ones on ebay are for keg systems and are limited to about 50psi. It might be able to inflate a tire, but will take forever due to the low pressure difference. Ones for aquariums can be really low pressure and wont work at all. What did you order?

·
Banned
4,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not really. Depends on what you got. Most of the ones on ebay are for keg systems and are limited to about 50psi. It might be able to inflate a tire, but will take forever due to the low pressure difference. Ones for aquariums can be really low pressure and wont work at all. What did you order?
It's an aquarium regulator but the gauge reads up to 150 and what I've read led me to believe 100psi is good enough for filling tires..

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
best one to get is for those soda co2 systems. my reg cost me 50 and it works great. the only reason you would need a super expensive one is to not have it freeze on you. but i have yet to see that happen to mine even after long periods of use (about 4 min continuous)

·
Registered
2008 Xterra Off Road
1,708 Posts
Theres a place called outback equipped that sells regulators.

http://www.outbackequipped.com/

I have a friend who has a DIY setup and he got his regulator from there so I know it works.

He uses a 15 lb tank and does a tank exchange (like propane) so all you do is pay for the propane and switch the tank out when you need it filled. He gets about 40 tires filled from that tank.

Saves you from buying a tank and having to worry about refilling it.

I am planning to do this in the next few months and Im going to add a writeup about it. Look for i in the future.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Saves you from buying a tank and having to worry about refilling it.

I am planning to do this in the next few months and Im going to add a writeup about it. Look for i in the future.
You will still have to buy a tank. Not as expensive as a PowerTank, but the first 'swap' will be more. Just like the blue rhino propane. First purchase is for tank and propane, next is just propane. It does save you from having to worry about running a hydro test or worry about failure in the future though.

·
Banned
4,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Did you buy it from the eastsidecustomstruck's site? I am trying to buy one now and there seems to be no option to checkout on their site - tried in IE and Chrome browsers.
Wheelersoffroad.com

I couldn't get east side to work either. Wheelers has it for $55 plus shipping. Ordered it last night.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts