Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
61 - 80 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Has anyone considered sanding down the plastic on the center roof mount support to get the basket lower? Is it structural in the spot of interference?
That piece would have to be cut and then somehow re-worked. I actually considered cutting the part of the rack away that comes in contact with the plastic and then support the lower part of the rack with rubber spacers underneath it. At the end of the day, the rack looked fine without doing it - albeit it would be interesting to see one just a little lower.

·
Registered
2014 P4X Night Armor
19 Posts
Installed mine yesterday - here's my notes:
1. Used the McMaster-Carr U-bolts with rubber inserts per the OP. There was no need for the bicycle innertube spacers - the rubber inserts grab perfectly once the nuts on the U-bolt are tightened,
2. Drilled the upper holes 1-3/16" down from the top of the top rail. Used a 6-step drill bit (3/16 - 1/2") to drill the holes. The rack sits level and rests on the center support.
3. Wind noise kicks in around 45 MPH - it's not too bad but definitely noticeable to my "artillery ears".
-=TomJ=-

·
Registered
2005 OR
39 Posts
Installed mine yesterday - here's my notes:
1. Used the McMaster-Carr U-bolts with rubber inserts per the OP. There was no need for the bicycle innertube spacers - the rubber inserts grab perfectly once the nuts on the U-bolt are tightened,
2. Drilled the upper holes 1-3/16" down from the top of the top rail. Used a 6-step drill bit (3/16 - 1/2") to drill the holes. The rack sits level and rests on the center support.
3. Wind noise kicks in around 45 MPH - it's not too bad but definitely noticeable to my "artillery ears".
-=TomJ=-
good info. I was wondering about wind noise. Thx!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Short report:

Just finished a long weekend of camping.

1) Wind noise - Yes. Like Tom stated, starts around 40mph. Kind of annoying. Do the Garvin, DepHep, and the like also make noise?

2) The slats are too wide to fit folding chairs... and end up riding a bit on the roof itself. 10x10 canopy did the same. Really annoying; I'm going to look into having a shop weld on some expanded metal / mesh.

3) Need beefier tie downs / ratchet straps... the hooks on my ratchet straps are just a bit too small to get a solid purchase.... and this Harbor Freight cargo net I just bought, same.

·
Registered
79 Posts
The RoXterra Lowrider I just bought does not make any wind noise at highway speeds when empty. Haven't tried it loaded, but I would expect wind noise with any cargo rack when stuff is loaded that is higher than the wetbox. I was more concerned with the wind noise on a daily basis without a load and was happy to discover it is just as quiet as it was before I installed it. Also the 48 inch length is just the perfect size for the 10x10 canopy I got at Home Depot. Mine slides right in. More money, but I guess it depends on how often you use it or if you leave it on the Xterra all of the time as I do.

·
Registered
2014 P4X Night Armor
19 Posts
So, has anyone mounted a Rotopax fuel container to their golf cart rack? I'd like a mount that doesn't require holes drilled in the rack,
-=Tom=-

·
Registered
1 Posts
Would any of you fine ladies / gentlemen be able to order one of these for me and send it up to Canada? I've tried contacting the store but they are unwilling to even look into shipping it over the border. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2009 Nissan Xterra SE Silver
8 Posts
Did this about a month ago. Its worked great. Drilled holes so I can throw my mountain bike up there and mounted a 100w solar panel as well. The solar panel hangs off each side by about 1/4 inch and covers about half the rack but works perfect since I keep a lifetime table and camp chair up there permanently and they both fit under. Like mentioned previously the slats are wide enough that camp chairs will fall in between them and the rack is too skinny to put them sideways. It doesn't bug me so I'll leave it as is. Solar panel was ordered off amazon for about $85. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08SVXMK3V/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The rubber spacers on my ubolts were blue because I had to get the stainless since the nickel plated were out of stock. They were much more expensive and I don't recommend since the rubber spacer broke on two of them and I had to order the nickel ones anyways. The blue spacer seems to be a bit stiffer and honestly I probably overtightened them but I would still recommend the nickel plated with black spacer.

·
Registered
2012 Nissan Xterra Pro-4X
180 Posts
Did this about a month ago. Its worked great. Drilled holes so I can throw my mountain bike up there and mounted a 100w solar panel as well. The solar panel hangs off each side by about 1/4 inch and covers about half the rack but works perfect since I keep a lifetime table and camp chair up there permanently and they both fit under. Like mentioned previously the slats are wide enough that camp chairs will fall in between them and the rack is too skinny to put them sideways. It doesn't bug me so I'll leave it as is. Solar panel was ordered off amazon for about $85. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08SVXMK3V/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The rubber spacers on my ubolts were blue because I had to get the stainless since the nickel plated were out of stock. They were much more expensive and I don't recommend since the rubber spacer broke on two of them and I had to order the nickel ones anyways. The blue spacer seems to be a bit stiffer and honestly I probably overtightened them but I would still recommend the nickel plated with black spacer. View attachment 138750 View attachment 138751 View attachment 138752
Looks great. Solar panel is a nice touch that doubles to cover the gas can (at least it looks like a gas tank underneath). Can you tell me exactly what you have for the water container? I've been wanting to add a water reservoir with a simple spigot like that for a long time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Looks great. Solar panel is a nice touch that doubles to cover the gas can (at least it looks like a gas tank underneath). Can you tell me exactly what you have for the water container? I've been wanting to add a water reservoir with a simple spigot like that for a long time.
I wish it was a gas tank its actually just a camp chair but it keeps it dry for me which has already come inn handy a couple times. It's literally just a 5 foot section of 4 in pvc with caps on both ends and a T with a 2in top with a screw on cap and thread tape. The connections are just a schrader bike tire valve(ask a local bike shop) used to convert mountain bikes to tubless and a hose spigot. I drilled holes for both and added a nut on the outside of the bike valve inside of the spigot and put a generous amount of flex seal on the inside. Hose clamps to hold it on and black spray paint. It doesn't get as hot as I thought but is quite comfortable to shower off at the end of the day. You could also add a pressure release valve but I simply unscrew the top after letting most the pressure out the bike valve. I plug a small $12 compressor to my 12v and clamp it on then screw on a 5 foot hose and garden attachment and have nice warm pressurized showers anywhere I go.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I also forgot depending on how you mount it on the X specifically you might want to angle the spigot a bit so the hose clears the roof. It helps that the roof drops down a little giving extra space too but I would still angle it a bit.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi All,

Been searching for a relatively inexpensive roof rack option (so a DIY), mulling over all them, and finally came across THE one (shout out to wstark for the idea) !

It's made for a golf cart - and looks like the Garvin roof rack

View attachment 135812

• The only roof rack storage system of its kind on the market.
  • Great for hunting, storage, hauling, luggage and more.
  • Fits E-Z-Go Medalist/TXT 1994.5-2013.
  • Heavy duty black powder coated steel construction.
  • Rack measures 5"H x 32"W x 52"L.
  • Easy to install with custom brackets designed for each roof style.
  • Includes roof rack, installation hardware and mounting brackets.
  • Some drilling required.
Found a 10% off coupon code online (“EC10”), and got it for $204.00 shipped to my door step (no tax, free s/h)!

Next, ordered four Vibration-Damping U-Bolts from McMaster-Carr, roughly $45.00 shipped

View attachment 135813

Items arrived in less than 5 days...

View attachment 135814

Used a speed square to get centers, used a punch to get nice dimples, and got to Drilling

View attachment 135815

Mounted it up !

Also used bike tube as an inner liner for this particular Ubolt housing/bracket (as others have suggested before).
A couple shots of WD-40 also helped get the Ubolts on the vibration damping housing, and through the drilled holes in the rack.

View attachment 135816

View attachment 135817

Everything fits perfectly snug ! Almost as if the rack/bolts were intentionally designed for this application.

View attachment 135818

View attachment 135819

View attachment 135820

Able to access the wet box no problem, as well !

In short, a Garvin like rack for $250 !!

The chrome bolts are bugging me though, I'm gonna scuff them up and paint them black.
Looks like the set up I'll go with. Any ideas on adding horizontal side bars at the bottom of the rack for additional tie down options? Thanks

·
Registered
36 Posts
Finally got mine 3 months later

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just got mine to after a few months of waiting. Let me know where you are going to drill the holes. I'm thinking of putting wood shims on the roof to position the rack as to the height off of the top of the roof. That way I can drill and hopefully get it right -- not sure how high off the roof it should be. Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Grille Hood Bumper Automotive lighting Automotive exterior

Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood

Hood Window Wood Automotive exterior Line

Finally got around to mounting the maxtrax boards on. Didn’t want to buy the mounting pins not knowing if I’d get them in time so I made some brackets and used all thread to mount em. Really happy how they fit in there. And using a price of flat steel across was really with some u bolts to mount to the rack, which could be an easy fix for those camping chairs falling through the slats. Might do that in the summer with 3 running across but they work for what I needed now

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just got my Golf Cart rack and putting it on the roof with the Macmaster Ubolts and Plastic thingy and it seems impossibly tight - Can you tell me your process for getting the rack in with the MacMaster set up? There must be an EZ trick. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ok, So i just looked up this rack and best part is, they mention the Xterra guys in the description HAHAHA

"Great for hunting, storage, hauling, luggage and more. **Sorry Nissan Xterra Guys - FedEx went up $30 on Shipping Costing More "

·
Registered
246 Posts
Just finished this, replacing my wonky sit-on-top basket with this much slicker version.
Tire Wheel Car Automotive carrying rack Window

Tire Wheel Water Car Vehicle

Only thing I'm struggling with is how to re-install my awning. Originally, I had unistrut cross bars, but they won't fit now. I'm considering bolting them into the rack along the front and back rails, but I'd rather find something slicker. Anyone done this?

61 - 80 of 97 Posts