Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
41 - 60 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Nissan Xterra Pro-4X
180 Posts
God, it's killing me how quickly and easily y'all are completing this.

Any ideas for adding a floor or some cross bars for extra support for standing up on it? I use my current rack as a platform for photography or just sitting up there. That's the only thing missing from this for me and I'm thinking of different options, removable or permanent.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 · (Edited)
...Any ideas for adding a floor or some cross bars for extra support for standing up on it?...

Unistruts (at the local home improvement store) with same McMaster-Carr Ubolts!
Endless possibilities... note the hi-lift mount using the unistruts... vision an awning on the other side, or shovel/axe mount... plus golf cart rack... rack will sit a bit higher with this configuration, but not that much

EDIT: due to basket width, it will need to be notched to fit the ubolts in a unistrut below the rail position. Unistrut above the rail no problem, of course... but it’ll be sitting high.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
For posterity, this rack is made by RHOX and the part number is ACC-RR01

They have variations RR02, 03, and so on and the differences are mounting hardware (golf cart specific) and increased expense, but otherwise the same base rack. The 01 is the least expensive.

·
Registered
2012 Nissan Xterra Pro-4X
180 Posts
I cannot claim credit for the idea (Wstark is the man), just the write-up.
But thank you nonetheless !
That said, I think “golf cart roof rack hack” is a catchy tongue twister for this.
I, too, noticed @wstark selling his rack on this post and was waiting for responses as to where it came from. And then within a couple weeks @CDL had his How-to posted. Bravo, gentlemen!

·
Registered
535 Posts
lol calling out Xterras specifically, they're on to us! In reality this is still a great price. The Garvin I have is $600. This one still ends up being half that price for.... basically the same thing.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Received the rack yesterday and mounted it up today. I chose another way to mount the rack, using stainless lag bolts and rubber washers. Still, make no mistake, the mounts used by CDL and others are stronger, better and easier to install. Mega thanks again to @CDL and @wstark for the great idea and find.

41 - 60 of 97 Posts