Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

Been searching for a relatively inexpensive roof rack option (so a DIY), mulling over all them, and finally came across THE one (shout out to wstark for the idea) !

It's made for a golf cart - and looks like the Garvin roof rack

• The only roof rack storage system of its kind on the market.
  • Great for hunting, storage, hauling, luggage and more.
  • Fits E-Z-Go Medalist/TXT 1994.5-2013.
  • Heavy duty black powder coated steel construction.
  • Rack measures 5"H x 32"W x 52"L.
  • Easy to install with custom brackets designed for each roof style.
  • Includes roof rack, installation hardware and mounting brackets.
  • Some drilling required.
Found a 10% off coupon code online (“EC10”), and got it for $204.00 shipped to my door step (no tax, free s/h)!

Next, ordered four Vibration-Damping U-Bolts from McMaster-Carr, roughly $45.00 shipped

Items arrived in less than 5 days...

Used a speed square to get centers, used a punch to get nice dimples, and got to Drilling

Mounted it up !

Also used bike tube as an inner liner for this particular Ubolt housing/bracket (as others have suggested before).
A couple shots of WD-40 also helped get the Ubolts on the vibration damping housing, and through the drilled holes in the rack.

Everything fits perfectly snug ! Almost as if the rack/bolts were intentionally designed for this application.

Able to access the wet box no problem, as well !

In short, a Garvin like rack for $250 !!

The chrome bolts are bugging me though, I'm gonna scuff them up and paint them black.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Simple clean solution, nice! Wonder what the capacity is, plus no OEM crossbars, will that reduce the overall weight carry? Test it out with heavy stuff and report back. Thanks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
There’s no weight limit listed, but it has withstood the “I’m 250lbs and stood on it, no problem” weight test from someone else. Considering the factory xterra limit for the stock rack and crossbars is 150lbs I think it’s good to go. It is solid!

My initial plan was to go with the ubolt threads facing down, running unistrut bars as cross bars, and mounting the rack to the unistruts. Then using the unistrut ends on one side to mount an awning. Might still do that down the road...

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
My initial plan was to go with the ubolt threads facing down, running unistrut bars as cross bars, and mounting the rack to the unistruts. Then using the unistrut ends on one side to mount an awning. Might still do that down the road...
That is what I did with an ARB awning, then I got a drop in rack and had to redo the awning mount. Now I have a 23Zero awning and (1) the mounting hardware is far superior to ARB and (2) mounted perfectly using the mounting spots for the rack.

·
Registered
2012 Nissan Xterra Pro-4X
177 Posts
Shiiiiiiit man, that's the cleanest and by far the easiest option I've seen. My rooftop platform via How-to: Cargo Carrier Converted to Roof Rack is nice especially because it's a little more stealthy, but man it's a total pain in the ass to mount and remove, plus I sometimes yearn for the side-walls all the way around. I definitely might go this route and replace mine in the future and look to add a wire mesh floor across it plus some D-rings.

Good lookin' out, you two.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks CDL. Newbie question, since I haven't taken an adventure since I got the vehicle 3 weeks ago. What types of things would you use the rack for? Are those storage boxes what you will use up there, because they fit perfect? My off-road driving will be mostly on the beach on the eastern shore of MD. Day trips, maybe a camp overnight. Like to do the canopy install also, would the 2 mods work together? Novice questions, I know. Thanks

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yep, the awning will fit depending on how you mount the unistruts: Unistrut / Superstrut Crossbars and Rotopax / Treds /...

it was a two person effort getting those fully loaded boxes up top (my 3 bin car camp set up).... told my wife, I “need” a gobi ladder now. Lol

i’ll probably end up putting lighter bulky items up there; tent, standard 10x10 canopy, folding chairs, sleeping bags.

which will leave room for the three bins, cooler and fire wood in the rear cargo. Right now, everything fits in the rear but i have zero visibility out the back window.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Yep, the awning will fit depending on how you mount the unistruts: Unistrut / Superstrut Crossbars and Rotopax / Treds /...

it was a two person effort getting those fully loaded boxes up top (my 3 bin car camp set up).... told my wife, I “need” a gobi ladder now. Lol

i’ll probably end up putting lighter bulky items up there; tent, standard 10x10 canopy, folding chairs, sleeping bags.

which will leave room for the three bins, cooler and fire wood in the rear cargo. Right now, everything fits in the rear but i have zero visibility out the back window.
Just by looking at it, I know my awning mounts (which are just muffler clamps with an L-bracket) would fit no problem, if you had to go a different route.
Road surface Asphalt Wood Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Wheel Automotive tire Infrastructure Asphalt Road surface

·
Registered
2014 Metallic Blue X
43 Posts
Is that as low as the basket can go? Looks like in one of the pictures its sitting on the original rack mounts? Personally I'd like to get it a bit closer to the roof, bit this is really close to what ive been looking for.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Is that as low as the basket can go? Looks like in one of the pictures its sitting on the original rack mounts? Personally I'd like to get it a bit closer to the roof, bit this is really close to what ive been looking for.
By looking at it, the height is all dependent on where you decide to drill into the rack, and @CDL appears to have put it at the highest possible position which is good to know. I'd love to see someone do this and mount it with a minimal amount of space underneath without touching and see how it looks.

I feel like "upgrading" to this is definitely in my future at some point.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
TO ME.... it looks like the rack is maybe 3/4 to 1 inch above the roof ribs. Not much room to really drop it too much more.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts