Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
on line
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am at 31k miles and want to do my own 30k mile service. I have the FSM and looked through everything, so I know what to do, plus some extra stuff that I just want to do.

Aside from inspecting some things this is the meat of what I want to take care of:

Replace:
Air Filter
In-cabin Mico Filter
Engine Coolant
Trans. Fluid
Front Diff. Fluid
Rear Diff. Fluid

My question is, The FSM mentions nothing about cleaning the auto. tran.'s screen, which requires dropping the pan. I want to do this for peace of mind, but I'm not sure if I should or not. Also, I should drain/refill or I should flush. I want to flush, but again, do you think this is really necessary? My driving is pretty much all stop-and-go, so I figure it should be done.

Also, when I change the coolant, do you think a drain/refill is sufficient, or would you recommend a flush? In this department I am learning towards a drain/refill, but I guess that will depend on how clean the coolant comes out.

Also, is it necessary/recommended to replace the transfer case fluid? Obviously 4x4 is rarely used compared to 2x4, so I would think it would last a while, but I don't know if it needs to be changed simply due to time.

For those of you who have done this, or have had it done, what would you recommend?
Thanks!

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Wow... excellent questions!!! I was wondering the exact same thing... I just changed the front and rear diff fluid (used royal purple) but i need to do the others.

I am just going to do the drain and fill on the cooling system... I dont see how it would need a flush yet (I could be wrong though)

**I also have a couple of questions to you amsoil users... I tried navigating the amsoil website and I got a little overwhelmed... I need 6qts of 5w30 synth. motor oil and I dont know which one to pick...

Also on the post "recommended fluid capacities" http://thenewx.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=5061 I was wondering why there is only one type of transmition fluid listed... 'genuine nissan matic J ATF' can we not use any other companys fluid??

Finally I need ~2qts of ATF, Dexron III, or Mercon for the transfer case.... which one would i choose from the amsoil website for that......

Thanks

·
on line
1,208 Posts
S_e_X-Terra said:
Finally I need ~2qts of ATF, Dexron III, or Mercon for the transfer case.... which one would i choose from the amsoil website for that
I used ATF Dexron III from Royal Purple, Actually I used Royal Purple throughout, Engine oil, Trans. case and Diff.

Sorry no guidance on the other ?'s

·
on line
13,466 Posts
http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/default.aspx

To the upper mid right side of the page, click on the "red box, online application guide." It tells you everythign you need to know including capacity for our trucks parts.

I did my transfer case and diffs with amsoil. Easy and the thing shifts some much better into and out of 4 hi and 4 low. Its like magic! And if you have amsoil questions there really quick to respond to emails i have experienced.

·
on line
641 Posts
stevet47 said:
Also, is it necessary/recommended to replace the transfer case fluid? Obviously 4x4 is rarely used compared to 2x4, so I would think it would last a while, but I don't know if it needs to be changed simply due to time.
Even on 4x2 you're using your T/C.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts