Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
on line
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was driving home from Phoenix on I-10 doing 75 when I started to get a really bad vibration. I tried to speed up/slow down a bit to see if I could get it to go away when boom, there was a loud bang from the passenger rear and the truck violently pitched to the passenger side. I took my foot off the gas, but didn't touch the brakes and got it back under control. while doing that I saw a big cloud of dust out the rearview mirror. Fortunately I was a few hundred yards from the Casa Grande outlet mall and was able to pull into the well lit parking lot.

As I was slowing down the truck was feeling OK and I was starting to think I had hit a tread that was pitched by a semi....

It sent the passenger corner piece up into the tail light, ripped out the plastic inner fender, dented the rocker trip piece, and I'll see what else tomorrow when I can look in the light.

I'm still kinda shook up over how bad that could have turned out.

·
on line
515 Posts
Glad you were able to control the truck!

Did you buy the tires at a shop or online? I'd be making some calls to Cooper about now. Not only should the tire be warranted, but the damage to your truck as well.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Glad you were able to control the truck!

Did you buy the tires at a shop or online? I'd be making some calls to Cooper about now. Not only should the tire be warranted, but the damage to your truck as well.
no doubt! that could have gottten real bad, real quick. glad your ok. i would be placing some calls....

NOT A RETREAD, RIGHT?

·
on line
10,980 Posts
From the Cooper site - click "Tire Sizes and Specifications", they've got a Q speed rating ... which is supposed to be good to 99mph, sounds like as long as you had them at the correct pressures for the bulk of their life you've got a case of some kind of manufacturing defect.

Glad it came out (relatively) okay, and good job on keeping the truck under control.

·
on line
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Here are some detail pics I snapped this morning.

Looks like the tire was manufactured the 45th week of '07.

Band of exposed steel, It is entirely possible that this is from driving from where the separation happened to the parking lot where I changed the tire.

Band disappears

And then a huge patch of exposed steel

The tire is still holding air, but is down about 14 psi from where I set it before leaving for Phoenix. The TPMS did not come on before the tire failed.

I also looked under the truck and there is a good bit of damage. The lower pinch seam of the body in that corner is shoved up 3~4", fender liner is toast, rocker trim in front of tire is bent, bumper side thing is toast, the tail light is toast.

·
on line
7,135 Posts
Cooper tires suck. I wouldn't put them on if someone gave me them for free

·
Registered
378 Posts
Oh my, glad you are OK! Now I have a battle as I was decided to put Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx on my X. They have had such good reviews, even on this forum so I kind of made my choice. But as I read this thread, with some comments about Cooper being so bad...I don't know now...

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
If they were made in 07 and you bought them new a year ago, they were sitting way to long. And judging by the cracks in the rubber near the rim they had been deteriorating for a little bit.

Oh my, glad you are OK! Now I have a battle as I was decided to put Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx on my X. They have had such good reviews, even on this forum so I kind of made my choice. But as I read this thread, with some comments about Cooper being so bad...I don't know now...
If youre worried about one incident and one negative comment about a brand you might as well start hand making everything for yourself.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
175 Posts
Don't run old tires

If they were made in 07 and you bought them new a year ago, they were sitting way to long. And judging by the cracks in the rubber near the rim they had been deteriorating for a little bit.
I have always run multiple vehicles for the past 30+ years.
If you have a lot of vehicles, you end up put only a few thousand miles on them each year.
One of the problems is that I have to replace some tires when they still have almost full tread.
If a vehicle (or tires) are left outdoors, I like to replace the tires prior to them reaching 7 years old.
If I have an indoor heated garage situation, I will wait until 10 years sometimes.
The longest I have waited is about 12 years.
I had one spare I tried for a day that was about 15 years old. The tread separated within the first 100mi..

·
on line
10,980 Posts
From the Cooper site - click "Tire Sizes and Specifications", they've got a Q speed rating ... which is supposed to be good to 99mph, sounds like as long as you had them at the correct pressures for the bulk of their life you've got a case of some kind of manufacturing defect.

Glad it came out (relatively) okay, and good job on keeping the truck under control.
When I replied before, it was with respect to the Discoverer STT in 285x75r16 ... with the correction to the Discover ST in 255x85r16, I feel compelled to correct my info/links. The Cooper specifications list that tire and size at an N speed rating, which from the Tire Rack tech page corresponds to 87 mph ... a decent bit lower than the 99 mph of the Q rating.

You probably know this, but any time you run tires hot - at higher speeds, or near the top of their load range, or at a lower inflation than nominal for the load that's on them - you accelerate internal wear and degradation. The Tire Rack tech page does a pretty good job of going through the info behind speed ratings and what they mean. Having said all that, though, from the sound of some of these other posts, it could be an age issue ... that's probably the best place to start digging.

Also, here's a good document that goes through the relationship between inflation and load rating ... if anyone wants some more related reading.

·
Registered
378 Posts
If youre worried about one incident and one negative comment about a brand you might as well start hand making everything for yourself.
Posted via Mobile Device
That wouldn't be such a good idea:) But yeah, that one extremely negative comment made me curious and wondering...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts