Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
on line
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm kind of curious!
In reading through our site I became paranoid about my brakes.
There are many , here, who report early pad failure on their X.
It seems anywhere from 25k to 35k, I have read of members having to replace their disc brake pads.
So, being as cautious as possible, I purchased new pads and went ahead and printed the how-to on the rear replacement.
( REALLY GREAT WRITE-UP, BY THE WAY! )
I got out there on a great Saturday and jacked up the ol' vehicle, removed the wheel and,,,,,," Hey!,,I'm only about 50% wear !"
Not really believing what I saw I removed the pads in the rear,,,,,,,Then the front !
So, I am still at 50% at 34k miles

How about the rest of Us ? What kind of wear are you getting on your brake pads ?
Jim B

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Do you have a manual? What year is yours?

I replaced front and rear at 30K and the backs were down to metal.

Now, I do wheel a lot and in PA mud is every where, so that might have something to do with it.

·
on line
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine is an 05 and I use it off-road two or three times per month.
We don't have any mud out here, ( let alone rain ! )
So, that could be an answer ?
I've got 34000 miles and, I really did look at them in my hand ????
Hmmmm ? I don't get it, yet.
Thanks,
Jim

·
on line
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Never thought of me as a "great" driver,,good to very good,,,,Yes.

I'm kind of thinking about the mud part that Muzikman has pointed out ??
It would make sense as the abrasives in the mud use up the pads,,,,

B Real,,,Did you get into alot of mud ?

What about you Syn, how many miles have you got ?

Jim

·
on line
1,084 Posts
No off roading at all yet. A few beach trips, but 99% NYC stop and go or highway driving. Ate up the breakpads real quick

·
on line
1,831 Posts
I've only got 12k but I'm pretty sure my pads won't last past 25k. It's hard to tell how much has worn down in 12k because I've got nothing to reference them to. I'm going to go ahead and buy new pads for the future and compare them.

·
on line
87 Posts
Funny, I was just thinking about this on my way to work this morning. I just hit 31000 miles and haven't replaced them yet. I'm in stop & go traffic every day, for about an hour and a half - two hours. I had an inspection about two months ago and they didn't say I had to replace them or give me a timeframe of when they should be replaced. I'll probably do it around 35000 just to be safe, but they feel as squishy as the day I rolled out of the dealership.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
If you have an MT, then that would have a lot to do with it.

I also wonder if the year has anything to do with it. Mine is a rather early production 05 (March). Maybe they changed the pads in the newer ones.

·
on line
2,938 Posts
B REAL said:
No off roading at all yet. A few beach trips, but 99% NYC stop and go or highway driving. Ate up the breakpads real quick
Same. I have an MT and chewed thru the front pads. Still need to do the rears. I am at 27K.

·
on line
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow ! So at this point We are all over the place and no real answer as to what the hell happens to the pads ??
Mine is an 05 that was first purchased in October of 05.
Do they change the brake pads for the Tow Pkg ?
as mine does have the factory tow pkg. installed.

·
on line
1,208 Posts
We own a 06 X version that was purchased in late october of 06, we have 18500 miles on mine and still have plenty of life left on the pads. I (Steve) have gone wheelin as much as possible and had lots of mud on it as well. I am trying to avoid the real bad mud here in NC cause we all know its really clay and that is very abrasive on the pads.

·
on line
19 Posts
Have an 05 with AT I checked my pads at 39,000 and would say the fronts had 40% left and the rears had 50% left. I went ahead and changed the fronts to aftermarket pads (The stocks felt super squishy)
I am in stop and go traffic and only have a chance to take it off-roading at the beach.

·
on line
3,285 Posts
I'm at 26,000 miles with at least 50% left on the fronts and more on the rears (I haven't measured them with a micrometer, just eyeballed it).

Driving style has a lot to do with pad wear. Hard stops, braking instead of using the proper gear going downhill, and towing a trailer all contribute to additional pad wear.

I guess mud could cause premature pad wear, but I would think most people wash their X's underbody after each offroad trip. Not sure if the X has it, but some vehicles have a scraper that will scrape off the mud from the brakes.

·
on line
631 Posts
I've got an 06 purchased in september with almost 24000 miles on it now. since the day i left the dealer the brakes were spongy. i inspected the front brakes last night and they in pretty good shape, about 70% left on em. the rotors however are overheated. same with the rear rotors.
im just waiting for some decent pads to come out and some good rotors to hit the market. i was looking at the drilled and slotted, but i do to much off road and it will get clogged with sand and mud.

·
on line
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I purchased EBC pads from Summitt Racing.
EBC has aa SUV pad made for more abuse, so they say.
I believe they also have rotors for us as well.
I can't say as I still have plenty of stock pad Left.
Jim B

·
on line
168 Posts
I am at 62,000 + and still on the original pads. I checked and still have at least 25% on the front pads.

·
on line
735 Posts
It is pretty normal to get 50 or 60K on the first set of pads. Everything on the car is new and perfectly made. Replacement pads seem to only last 40k.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts