Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
on line
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I friggin love my xterra to death but i'm pretty disappointed in the build quality.

I read countless posts about people having miscellaneous bolts/screws/nuts come loose and I kept on telling myself to ignore it.

Today, I removed the door panels on my X to install new speakers and I noticed 3-4 screws/bolts that were not tightened all the way, and 3-4 screws/bolts that were over tightened and stripped of the threads.

My Xterra is a 2007 S and the sticker on the side says it was manufactured in December 2006 so it's only 5 months old.

I'm scared to see how the rest of the truck is put together.

Anyone here have any input for this issue?

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Well yea, the bolts that hold the bracket for the front bumper is normally stripped out, Over tightened, the roof air Dam ones also, I just don't think they have that proper torque for a application thing down. (Nor the fluid levels) Hummm Tennessee.... Moonshine.........maybe........ah never mind!

·
on line
1,831 Posts
There's also a bit of an issue that's beginning to surface more and more as people install Shrockworks bumpers. There seems to be sporadic misalignment with the truck body and the frame, pronounced upon installation of an after-market bumper.... Structurally, this doesn't seem to be a hazard, but it is disappointing.

·
on line
631 Posts
ive had the front seat bolts (both passenger and drivers seat) loose. rear passenger door speaker bolts loose. i think nothing of it now... but i hope the undercarriage bolts and what not are all tight!

·
on line
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i met up with another member from this forum a week ago and he told me parts of his front suspension came undone....yikes!

·
on line
1,479 Posts
one of my customers built the Xterras. He quit a month ago and he was telling me that when the X's first came out they built them wil a lot of care, but now they don't really care anymore. I am glad I have an 05

·
on line
133 Posts
Before internet forums, I wonder how many problems really existed?

Just like the whole QR25 scare... oh it's a POS its a junk, car won't last.

Catalytic failures left and right, oil burning as a result, 6 speeds are junk they blow up...blah blah. power valve screws falling in the engine.

There are many that are well over 100G mileage that don't use any oil, are turbo'd and still on the stock clutch/trans.

You purchase an X for less than 30 and expect BMW quality; forget it.

So many bitched about the quality of the Sentra with rattles and such...it's a freakin economy car.

·
on line
3,050 Posts
I am starting to get that feeling also...the fit and finish of the xterra's are lacking. My roof bolts needed to be silconed because I attempted to take the rack off for waxing and installing of lights. Once I loosened some of them the tack weld on the bolts came loose and I was never able to screw them back just a continious rotation.

·
on line
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wheelhorse said:

Catalytic failures left and right, oil burning as a result, 6 speeds are junk they blow up...blah blah. power valve screws falling in the engine.

There are many that are well over 100G mileage that don't use any oil, are turbo'd and still on the stock clutch/trans.

So many bitched about the quality of the Sentra with rattles and such...it's a freakin economy car.
i'm not bitching about the components/equipment used in my xterra....i understand a cheap car will use cheap stuff....

my issue is with the assembly of my xterra...

·
on line
1,479 Posts
johnlam940 said:
are our engines built at that plant or are they shipped in from somewhere else?
don't know I will ask

·
on line
81 Posts
I found a random bolt just sitting on a flat spot of my engine bay. I looks like it had never been screwed into anything. I wonder where it was suppose to go? ;)

·
on line
551 Posts
Have only had the X 5 months, but I haven't had any problems with bolts, nuts screws yet. Had the door panels off, dash apart and the rear area. Nada in the way of loose or overtightened bolts.
The only problem (if you can call it that) is that some of the plastic pieces don't snap back the way they came out
I'm sure in time I will find something, hopefully not major.

·
on line
564 Posts
Over 62,000 X's sold in 2006...only a few people complaining out of the 800+ members here...most people aren't going to start a thread stating "My X has had ZERO problems"...unfortunately, we all complain about the problems with our X, but rarely mention when we don't.

Rob

·
TNX Administrator
20,375 Posts
mcampana said:
MAN-O-MAN! You guys are either nit picking or bought some lemons. I havent had a single issue, problem, complaint or anything with my X............
X2 I got mine last February and except for the VDC Light issue, its has also been a fricking great vehicle!!!!!!!

·
on line
37 Posts
Only problem I've had is with the aux power outlets. None of them worked from the factory. Otherwise it's been flawless. Of course mine is an '05 (OR-MT). I can't imagine how build quality could get worse over time. I even bought the extended 75k mile warranty because I feared any new platform would be prone to problems.

BGXterra, did he say why they quit caring after 05? Management change? Overworking their employees?

·
on line
355 Posts
Wheelhorse said:

hahah true on the QR25... I had an 02 spec-v.. got a new engine... a new cat.. a new clutch.. all before 20k miles..

but my xterra... damn if it aint one of the most trouble-free cars I've ever owned. I had a misaligned headlight which caused a sqeak when i pushed my fender from the side, but a simple adjustment solved that. The ONLY thing i can think of is the window rattle I have. But after owning VW's, ANYTHING seems golden.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts