Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
on line
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After eight years and 140k miles, one of my stock coil-overs wore out. I have a relatively stock 2005 S with Shrock bumpers front and rear. I decided to go with Bilstein 5100s in the front (and rear) so I could slightly raise the front end.

Anyway, I searched and could not find any how-to or any pictures of swapping over the springs. It seems that everyone says, "compressing the springs is too dangerous...take them to a shop to have this done." I disagree. The correct tool is inexpensive, and with common sense, this is not a dangerous procedure. With proper care, I do not consider swapping these springs to be any more dangerous than working under your rig on jack stands.

My tool of choice is the OEM 25550 strut spring compressor. It has safety pins to lock the tool onto the spring and it worked flawlessly. I picked mine up at Autozone for under 35 bucks. Before attaching them to the springs, I made sure to grease both the threads and the thrust washers on the spring compressor.

Here are a few pictures...enjoy.

BTW - I raised the front 1/2-inch. I happy with the new stance and the ride.

regards,
Willyswan

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
I've done coilovers in the past. It can be sketchy with some compressors though. Slow and careful wins! I like the type you used with the safety pins, they almost eliminate any chance of a spring flying around.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
I have done the job a few times, and always have a quirky feeling until it is done.

Maybe that is my brain screaming be careful, by way of my stomach!!

·
Registered
277 Posts
I agree with OP, it was my first time when I swapped in my Bilsteins a few months ago and it was a piece of cake. I used that same compressor you did. Yes it is true any spring under that much tension is dangerous, but in my opinion there is no need to pay someone to do it. It took me just under two hours to do the swap, and that was working very slowly and methodically to ensure safety. I say do the work at home, just go slow and be safe!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Safety first, always wear a cup when working on coilovers!

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I still wouldn't recommend this to the inexperienced. I have done a few car springs this way in the 150-250 lbs/in range. The xterra stock springs are 500 lbs/in. There is much more potential for trouble. Obviously doable but if you have any doubts....

er.. forgot to ad: Looks good OP.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts