Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Whats the OE offset on titan wheels? Maybe these titan parts are intended for a wider offset to begin with? Or maybe they just know that MOST modded trucks have wider offset wheels?
Looks like you are running +30mm OE xterra wheels, which might just be tucked in too close.

I don't see how an alignment could change the relationship/space between spindle and tire.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
If I'm looking at the right setup...
From Dirt Kings website, they say....

• Maximum Backspacing: 4.75”
  • Minimum Rim Size: 17”
The "race" kit says 4.5in backspacing and 17s

I THINK oe xterra wheels have a backspacing of 5.18inches, and those steel wheels are 16s, right?
That's just going off a backspacing calculator and the +30mm offset. Which means you're ~.4-.5inches from clearing, or more depending on 16 vs 17in?

I'm not really sure how that relates to where you're rubbing on the TIRE, but it might be source of the issue.

If you go with aftermarket wheels (~150ea for the cheapest decent wheels), you're ALSO going to add another ~1-1.25inches of width per side.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
If I'm looking at the right setup...
From Dirt Kings website, they say....

• Maximum Backspacing: 4.75”
  • Minimum Rim Size: 17”
The "race" kit says 4.5in backspacing and 17s

I THINK oe xterra wheels have a backspacing of 5.18inches, and those steel wheels are 16s, right?
That's just going off a backspacing calculator and the +30mm offset. Which means you're ~.4-.5inches from clearing, or more depending on 16 vs 17in?

I'm not really sure how that relates to where you're rubbing on the TIRE, but it might be source of the issue.
Yes thats true but it says that for all there kits and Ive seen other peoples ride who have installed them with similar set ups. Like Dave940 here:

Your truck is going to ride much better! I just did my Dirt King Titan swap Mid Travel last week. Its night and Day difference from the Stock lowers and uppers with a ball joint. Cant wait to see what yours will look like bud. I am excited for you!
Dave940 are you running stock wheels with your dirt king set up?? Did you have any issues with rubbing?

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
In the thread in his signature he has procomp wheels, which are even further out than 0 offset, but also lists 1.5in wheel spacers with OEM wheels.
Then again, he lists SPC UCA and oem titan lowers, so not sure what he might have changed.

Even Dirt Kings basic Xterra titan swap says 4.75in max backspacing, so I wonder if that's a copy/paste across the board, or if they really do have something in a different place than most titan swap arms. There's a LOT of people who won't run a wider offset than OEM with Titan swap because they don't want that extra width.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I could be wrong... but I think the only thing to fix that is new wheels or wheel spacers.

If you had a narrower, or less aggressive tire, it MIGHT fit... but thats just spit-balling because I don't know how much room it really needs to clear.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I got the tire on with no rubbing!!! All I had to do was change the adjustment on the lower control arm cam bolts. Before I had both of the fat ends of the washer pointed out and I changed it to front cam pointed out and the back cam pointed in per "Ry the Car Guy" video on cam bolt adjustment for lifted xterras.

Like this:

Computer Personal computer Product Output device Gadget

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)
Got my hanneman fenders in a few weeks ago (they shipped super fast.....they told me it will take 4-6 weeks but they showed up less than a week after I placed the order). The fit wasn't great, but I was kind of expecting that so I kept my expectations low lol

Heres some pics after I painted them with some cheap $5 rattle cans of gloss black from home depot

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Car

Tire Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle Car

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive side marker light

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Also started building a rear bumper/tire carrier swingout. Almost finished just need to weld on the plate that holds the wheel, add on some recovery points and then paint it and it will be done!!

Car Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Automotive tire Hood

Just started learning how to "weld" and "make things out of metal" so the welds don't look the best (plus I'm using flux core which doesn't help things look any better) but I'm slowly learning......the next project will be......(see next post below)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Shock hoops for these 2.5 x 8" long travel radflo coilovers I just picked up. If anyone has any tips on making shock hoops lemme know cuz I haven't been able to find much useful info online. And once I get these installed I'll be selling my radflo titan swap coilovers which I've had a few ppl asking my about.....

Drinkware Plumbing valve Gas Font Scientific instrument

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Start making my shock hoops this weekend. So far the biggest pain in the ass has been cutting out the old stock coil bucket and reinforcing the upper control arm mounts.

Here is what I came up with for the shock hoops after bending the tubing. I made them kinda wide so I have the option in the future to run bypasses if I want (and they are long on each end to be trimmed).

Road surface Wood Asphalt Bumper Vehicle door

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Forgot to post the pics of the shock hoops after I finished building them. I had to modify the design a bit cuz they were too wide originally.

This is my first time doing this so they didn't come out perfect but I think they will work. Also it was done with flux core welder so that's why my welds looms extra shitty.

Only thing left to do is build an engine cross over brace....

Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Tread

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive fuel system Rim

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Tread Automotive lighting

Any advice/criticism/comments is appreciated cuz im new to all this and I'm just figuring this out as I go along.....

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I built this hydraulic tubing bender a few months ago that is made for JD2 Model 3 dies and I just got around to finally testing it out last night/buying a die (dies are stupid expensive......$325 for 1.5" tube die 180 degree 4.5 CLR radius).

It was built using a shitty $100 harbor freight drill press, welder, a few hole saws, (for the 1" and 7/8" holes that need to be drilled), harbor freight 12 ton hydraulic long ram (about $90 and can be used with compressed air in addition to manual/pump) and these free plans I downloaded from the link below (make sure to read the whole web page before building and looking at plans).

vertical tubing bender plans

In case anyone is interested.....

I plan on using this for building a "bed cage"/upper shock mounts in the rear cargo area when I build thr long travel leaf spring set up with 16" bypass shocks thru the floor:cool:

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wood Bumper Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Wood Gas

Road surface Wood Asphalt Flooring Floor

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 · (Edited)
Started building my rear shock hoops for the long travel leaf spring set up in the back. Made it so the back seats r still functional (I need to trim about 1/2 inch off the end of the hoop but seats still latch close)

Still got a lot more support tubing to put in place but it's a start. (And it took fcking forever having to cut thru 4 layers of flooring and making sure these hoops were pertectly squared/leveled and aligned since everything else builds off this).

And yes those huge holes will be sealed up when it's all done.
Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Automotive tire Automotive design

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior

Tire Plant Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel

21 - 40 of 58 Posts