Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2011 Black Nissan Xterra 2wd "X" package that I bought in 2020 with around 105K miles for $6000.

Current Mods
Long Travel Kit - Dirt King Titan Long Travel Kit (+6 wide per side) with custom/DIY Shock hoops with Removable Engine Cross over Brace and Radflo 2.5 x 8 remote reservoir coilovers.

-Prerunner style front bumper with LED light bar - custom/DIY bumper I welded from 1.5" DOM tubing (I got the 1.5" super cheap from local metal recycling shop otherwise I would have used 1.75" dom.

-Rear Bumper with tire carrier and LED backup lights - Custom/DIY bumper I fabricated from 3/16" mild steel for the main body of the bumper and 1/4" mild steel for the frame mounts (same thing as above)

-Rear Locker - ARB C200K rear locking differential with ARB air compressor

-Wheel Spacers - Got some 2" hub centric wheel spacers from Amazon for $50 shipped.

-Fiberglass Fender Flares - Hanneman 4" wide fiberglass fenders for clearance with the long travel kit

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Looks good, but just a heads up, I think that little bushing you have just under the top nut on the shock shaft should be under the top hat.

edit: Maybe not, I'm finding slightly conflicting info...I'm going to dig a little.
edit to edit: Here's a pic of mine, when I was running the Tundra setup. I don't have that bushing on top, you can barely see it under the top hat in my pic.
Coil spring Gas Shock absorber Coil Suspension

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
What 5100s are you using with the titan swap?
I'd seen something about getting toyota top hats, and mixing/matching/assembling to get the right height for Xterras. I think 5in is pretty high for a Titan Swap. They usually advertise 4.5 at highest, and ~3 for 'best ride' and travel. I really want something with OE / daily use quality... not a coil over that'll need rebuilding or wear out in less than 100k miles.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
What 5100s are you using with the titan swap?
I'd seen something about getting toyota top hats, and mixing/matching/assembling to get the right height for Xterras. I think 5in is pretty high for a Titan Swap. They usually advertise 4.5 at highest, and ~3 for 'best ride' and travel. I really want something with OE / daily use quality... not a coil over that'll need rebuilding or wear out in less than 100k miles.
They're Tundra 5100s, you can run them with the stock top hats, I did. I got about 3.5" lift at the lowest setting, which is where they should be, unless he's running the custom top hats designed for Tundra Titan swap. I also think they are assembled incorrectly and the bottom perch might be upside down, but I can't tell in his pics.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Hmm thats the way they came assembled when I got them from Greg at PRG

But now that you mention it it did seem to ride a little weird up front. I noticed when driving over speed bumps at speed sometimes I would hear a "clank" metal to metal sound.

BTW I didn't install the lift the local shop did so maybe they took the shocks apart and swapped the position of the bushing for some reason??
If you're getting a clunk, it very well could be that they are assembled incorrectly.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got a decent tax return a couple weeks ago so I went ahead and Ordered my ARB rear locker for the C200K axle and ARB compressor (the one for $300 that you can run the lockers and air up your tires). Installed the compressor myself in the engine bay next to the driver side headlight (dont reccommend that spot...its a SUPER tight fit and akward anytime you have to remove the headlight especially with these aftermarket SPEC-D/HID conversion lights). I was originally wanting to install it in the rear cargo compartment but the wiring harness they give you is not long enough and I didnt want to deal with having to splice a bunch of wires together to lengthen it.

After getting the compressor and the switches and airline for the rear locker installed, I brought it to a local shop last week to have the locker installed . BTW if anyone is in the San Jose/Bay area and needs locker or gears installed check out MS Gears in Santa Clara. They charged $500 for the rear locker install which was about half the price of what other shops quoted me (everyone I called wanted $900+) and they seem to do quality work and have good reviews on yelp.

Still havent got a chance to really test it out yet but heres a few pics. As you can see its a clusterfcuk or wires/airlines right by the hotass compressor which has me a little nervous.....I did cover the entire airline in some 1/4" electrical plastic serrated tubing ?? (dont know what its called exactly) then wrapped the entire 1/4" tubings with some high temp 220deg rated electrical tape so hoping that helps protect it a little...

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Coil spring Bumper
Got my radflo 2.5" titan swap coilovers today. I originally wanted to get the ones with resevoir but as most of you probably know radflo has 12-16+ week lead times and I was lucky enough to find an online vendor that had ONE 2.5" titan swap radflo in stock (but non resi) sitting on the shelf ready to ship so I snatched it up.

I figure I can always send them to radflo later on and have them add a resevoir ya??

But I am on the fence on whether or not I'm even gonna keep these and I might end up selling them them cuz I found a used nissan titan long travel kit (+6" per side) for sale....

as mentioned in the title my long term plan was to turn my xterra into a long travel "wanna be prerunner" but this is a little sooner than planned cuz moneys tight right now and buying the long travel right kit now is not in the budget but then again used long travel set ups for the xterra is a rare find and if I sold these shocks/returned them I'd only have to dish out an additional $900 or so. (But I'd have to run it with stock fenders and without shock hoops for the time being until my $$$ builds back up...)

Hmmmm decisions decisions.......

Any advice or suggestions??

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Land vehicle Car
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Hood

Built a prerunner style bumper for the xterra. This was my first time building/fabricating anything like this and first time welding so the bumper is far from perfect but I think it turned out alright.

Especially considering I don't have a garage or any kind of workshop so a lot of the bumper was constructed in random parking lots where I could find an outlet to plug in my grinder and welder and worked on it until someone came out and complained or called the cops lol.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I feel like most bumpers bolt in up higher too... but I'm not sure where.
You might want to buy, or build a radiator skid. The designs are usually pretty simple. Our radiators are definitely vulnerable down there.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I took advantage of the black friday sale dirt king is having and picked up a Dirt King Titan Long travel kit @500 less than msrp. And ordered some fiberglass from hanneman (unfortunately the only option available for xterras.....)

She's gonna be wiiiiiiide (+6" per side).
Product Automotive lighting Font Bicycle part Tool

·
on line
1,389 Posts
Looks like it's an early Xmas for me 🤑😍

But i think Im gonna wait till my hannemann fiberglass gets delivered before installing them....

View attachment 140770
View attachment 140771
View attachment 140769
Your truck is going to ride much better! I just did my Dirt King Titan swap Mid Travel last week. Its night and Day difference from the Stock lowers and uppers with a ball joint. Cant wait to see what yours will look like bud. I am excited for you!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts