Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
121 - 140 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Pro-4X
15 Posts
Also yellow helps in rain/snow/dust/fog. White will reflect back to you and its gonna blind you. Yellow has a longer wave length so refracts less of the air bourne particles so it's easier to see through.
great video, that definitely helps to break it down pretty clearly. I went with white for my top lights since I really don’t see myself using them much in poor conditions. I’m also based in northern AZ (KC headquarters in the town I go to for groceries apparently, learned two things from that video). we don’t get much in the way of rain, fog, or snow here, so mainly just a lot of dust. I don’t travel in convoys so dust in mainly just a problem on my rear hatch. I just want to be able to see our lazy Grand Canyon elk standing in the road 😂 got the lights in today. I went with the Pro level in spot, should be interesting to see how that works. Brackets should be coming in tomorrow or Monday so I’ll hopefully have them installed once I get a day off work again.

·
Registered
2015 Xterra Pro-4X
51 Posts
I've had mine installed for about week now. Installation was relatively simple thanks to the guide found in this thread. I went with the SS3 Pro yellow driving series. I won't use them much but I like the look of the yellow. The pods seem very durable. Man there were lots of leaves and small debris underneath my fairing! I also did the off road light switch mod. The previous owner must have done it as the switch was still installed by the gas pedal. I'm guessing he went with an aftermarket bulb as the screws on the fairing looked as if they had been removed previously.

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
Found my brackets lol time to put them in however not yet

Looking forward to it and trying to do the fog light mod for max brightness!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2015 Pro-4X
15 Posts
Installed my brackets and pro level pods in spot format a few days ago, and honestly I’m amazed. Such a huge upgrade. I wanted the roof lights when I bought the X but I was so disappointed when I first tried them and it lit up the whole hood and windshield. They did put out a lot of light but it was not very far down the road or directional at all. these spot pods are the exact opposite. Very focused beam. And I love how the up-down adjustment remains intact with these brackets. The install was very straightforward. instructions were very helpful and well written. The only thing I had to modify was leaving out one locking washer on each bolt as they would not fit back into the housing once the pods, bolts and brackets were all assembled. Otherwise these brackets work like a charm. Huge thanks to oddball for taking the time and effort to fab these things up. Great work! Sorry for the terrible photos but all I had was my phone through a dirty windshield. First is high beams and second is obviously the DD Pro spots and high beams. Some adjustment is still needed I think.

side note, while on my way to take these photos I came within inches of hitting a healthy size buck. Even with the best lights you aren’t invincible o_O

·
Registered
2013 Xterra Pro-4X
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 ·
Looking good! Glad you like them and the install went smoothly!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Here's another shot from this weekend. Night shot under the moon. SS3s standard driving beam in the rood paired with SS3 Pro Fogs and SS3 Pro combo ditch lights really light the road at night. No problems with forward lighting.

View attachment 136471
Are the bumper fogs plug and play or is a special bracket needed for those as well?

·
Registered
2013 Xterra Pro-4X
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 ·
Diode Dynamics sells a kit with little plastic brackets to adapt to the stock fasteners. Pretty straight forward install.

·
Registered
2015 Pro-4X
15 Posts
I just installed the DD fogs as well on my 2015. They come with a bracket if you order the Xterra fog light kit, as oddball stated. It’s pretty straight forward but I might recommend just popping off the bumper if you have the time. It can be done just by removing the 4 screws where the fender liner meet the bumper plastic and removing the wheel (which is what I did) but there is one bolt on the fog light bracket that was a bit of a pain to access. It would be much less of a headache to just pull the bumper plastic. They are worth it, huge improvement over stock. That being said, anyone want some OEM fogs? 😂

·
Registered
2013 Xterra Pro4X 6spd
105 Posts
Are the bumper fogs plug and play or is a special bracket needed for those as well?
Jus as everyone stated, just make sure you're getting the kit. Also as Troublemite said, you can do it with bumper one, I did, just a lot of crawling and moving around under the X.

Also when I first installed mines, I used factory wiring. I wanted to run foglights by itself without headlights so I ended up wiring fogs by itself with the universal wiring kit DD sells.

·
Registered
2013 Xterra Pro-4X
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
See now I kind of want to switch over to ambers lol. Looks sweet!

·
Registered
2011 Pro-4X
176 Posts
Quick update, I'm now an authorized Diode Dynamics dealer. So if you purchase both the pods and the bracket through me I can give you a discount on the brackets!
That's awesome, congrats! It's impressive what you've been able to do over the last year. Love my brackets.

·
Registered
2013 Xterra Pro-4X
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 ·
Thanks! These brackets having giving the opportunity to try a bunch of new stuff. For example, I cobbled together a wordpress website recently for the brackets and other stuff I'm working on. It definitely need to spend more time on it, adding a storefront, etc. but hey I have a website now lol.

·
Registered
2013 Xterra Pro4X 6spd
105 Posts
Thanks! These brackets having giving the opportunity to try a bunch of new stuff. For example, I cobbled together a wordpress website recently for the brackets and other stuff I'm working on. It definitely need to spend more time on it, adding a storefront, etc. but hey I have a website now lol.
Awesome news. I love my brackets and used them every weekend for the past 5 weeks going fish camping. With the SS3 pods in the roof, lights are actually usable.

Also curious what else you're working on.

·
Registered
2013 Xterra Pro4X 6spd
105 Posts
Awesome news. I love my brackets and used them every weekend for the past 5 weeks going fish camping. With the SS3 pods in the roof, lights are actually usable.

Also curious what else you're working on.

·
Registered
2013 Xterra Pro-4X
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #136 ·
I have a few things I'm playing with designing currently. The one that is likely next for fabrication and prototyping is a better mounting method for my iKamper tent directly to the roof rack. Trickly part is making it as simple as possible to keep the costs down while still having something that looks okay and not too "home built"

·
Registered
2013 Xterra Pro-4X
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #137 ·
Current Batch is sold out. Will do another batch once a few more people are interested! Thank you everyone for your interest and support!

121 - 140 of 169 Posts