Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
on line
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that if my rear differential goes that I would be dead in the water but if my front goes would I still be able to drive my vehicle?

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Yeah, but doesnt the front drive shaft still turn in 2wd??? I think it does. If that is the case then you will need to remove the front drive shaft when it goes. I think you still might have problems because of the hubs always being locked. Im not too smart when it comes to this sort of thing so someone else might have to chime in here.

·
on line
2,248 Posts
Rat said:
I know that if my rear differential goes that I would be dead in the water but if my front goes would I still be able to drive my vehicle?
Unfortunately, we don't have selectable hubs in the front, which means that the axles are constantly spinning the gears in the front differential. Depending on the damage, you may experience some binding, even in 2WD. This probably won't stop you from being able to limp it off the trail. In worst case scenario you might want to be prepared to remove the CV shafts, which will eliminate the binding from being transferred to your front wheels as you're driving down the road.

·
on line
15 Posts
I had a 91 wrangle when i Lived in Denver and had a misfortunate outing. Me and a couple of buddies were east of denver in the eastern colorado wastelands target practicing with some spiced up rifles. When leaving I threw the jeep in 4 low and ripped across a terrace only to end up square in the middle of a washout drop off. This hole pretty much swallowed the jeep. without too much hesitation i through it in 1st and hit the gas. It lunged out of that hole surprisingly well. the only problem is once we were up there was a loud thumping going on under the jeep. I got out and looked down and the drive shaft was laying on the ground disconnected from the rear end. We landed on an old cook stove someone had junked in the hole and when we came out the u-joint caught it and snapped. I pulled out the driveline from the tranny and we drove back into denver with front wheel drive. so if you can break the link somewhere you will still have either the front or the back spinning.

·
on line
152 Posts
yea my buddy lost his rear drive shaft on the highway. He just put it in 4 wheel drive and just drove home with just front wheel drive. He said he even got better gas millage!

·
on line
3,262 Posts
on my old chevy (89 4x4) I got stuck in a huge mud hole. I almost couldnt open the doors. And that is hard to imagine when you had 6 inches of lift and 35" tires. Anyway, getting out of the hole was very difficult and in the process i blew the rear end. Got out of the hole eventually and took the rear drive shaft off.

I drove it around for about a week like that untill a new rear diff arrived. This wasnt necissarily the smartest thing to do (I dont think) because a friend who was rather experienced in the arts of breaking and fixing trucks (LOL) said that if the rear end 'binded' up it could cause alot more damage than I initally had. Always make sure you take every precaution to stop the diff from being in a position to bind up furthur.

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: To use this previously opened DIFFERENTIAL post, I'll add a couple items-

--Nissan, in their infinate wisdom, doesn't call the Xterras differentials, as we know the handle--

--They refer to them, as- ie:

--Front final Drive (front differential)

--Rear Final Drive (rear differential)

--The front Final Drive, in '06 is provided with APL GL-5 SAE 80W-90 Gear Oil

--The Rear Final Drive is provided with --

--GL-5 SYNTHETIC 75W-90 Gear oil--(AUTOand non-OR)

--GL-5 SYNTHETIC 75W-140 Gear oil--(6 spd MT and 4x4 OR)

--So when you're adding oil to either one-be aware !!

:geek: :geek: --JIMBO

·
on line
628 Posts
Nissan calling them "Final Drives" is kind of ironic, because in the Army, more specifically for tracked vehicles (tanks) we refer to them as "Final Drives", and there is no way in hell one of those breaks as easily as a Nissan "Final Drive".

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Final Drive is just a term used to indicate the last gear reduction before the wheels So yes, a diff is the final drive.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts