Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
on line
4,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, time for some FNG questions.

I'm looking into installing Radflo Coilover shocks and Total Chaos Upper Control Arms from PRG to achieve ~2.5 to 3" of lift in the front and some kind of AAL/shackle combination for the rear (perhaps a full leaf pack). I'll also be installing a Shrockworks bumper and Milemarker winch.

Ideally, I would like to maintain the 1" rake that the truck currently has based on my understanding that this aids in on-road handling capabilites.

From SLR:

...we offer a differential lowering kit for 4WD vehicles to prevent CV joint bind. Other companies' suspension lifts do not offer a similar product or don't provide enough wheel travel to need a differential lowering kit...

Will the increased wheel travel with the Radflo/TC UCA combination up front cause issues with other stock components? Or doesn't this combination provide as much travel as the SLR kit?

I ask this question because the SLR Stage 1 lift includes a differential lowering kit and I've not read anyone else discuss it. I do realize this kit is for pre 2005 models as it includes torsion bars, but it's the increased travel that is the reason for the diff lowering kit inclusion.

Syndicate, Willgr1, LifeintheSouth, XterraVT y'all have Radflos and TC UCAs right? Any response would be very helpful.

Yes, I'll call Greg at PRG for his opinion as well. I Suppose I should call SLR as well, eh.

I'm in the process of saving up and want to be sure to have all the proper parts ready.

·
on line
2,077 Posts
i have radflos, but not the UCAs, i went with 2.5" rads, the 3" require new UCAs...

but, 3" is the max you will be able to get without causing problems to stock components. Drop diff kits will allow for larger shocks and more travel by lowering the diff and reducing the CV angles.

there is a list somewhere that was recently posted that has the prices for the 05+ kits from SLR

but def. call greg, he's very informative and i'm sure you'll have no issues about going with his products.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
For 3" you should not need a diff drop. Any thing above 3" and you are going to want to consider it. SLR's lift is 5"+, so they are going to need a diff drop.

·
on line
807 Posts
It sounds like willgr1 and muzikman are referring to drop-bracket lifts and the XKNUT is talking about an actual dif.- drop, of which I have never seen for an 05+ Xterra.

XKNUT, maybe you can clarify.

·
on line
4,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Steve,

I am indeed talking about lowering the front differential.

However, from reading their other posts on this forum I believe that Muzikman and Willgr1 both understand that is what I was asking. Though I may be wrong. ;)

From what I've gathered, as you approach and then exceed a 3" lift then the geometry begins to change to the point that other actions are necessary to maintain proper angles. CV joint angles to the front differential in this example. Beyond 3" and you will have to lower the front diff to maintain the geometry. These conclusions are open to confirmation please.

The stage 1 suspension lift from Spencer Low Racing, as seen here, includes a "Differential lowering kit for 4WD vehicles". "Stage I will give a vehicle approximately 9 inches of front wheel travel and 11 inches of rear wheel travel."

So, either this lift is 3+", and/or the amount of increased wheel travel (on droop?) will cause CV issues. Thus the inclusion of a diff lowering kit.

I have an email in to both SLR and PRG so we'll see.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
stevet47 said:
It sounds like willgr1 and muzikman are referring to drop-bracket lifts and the XKNUT is talking about an actual dif.- drop, of which I have never seen for an 05+ Xterra.

XKNUT, maybe you can clarify.
No, I am talking about a diff drop. I know for sure the Calmini 5" has a diff drop, and I am pretty sure the SLR does as well.

But yes, it does have more to do with total wheel travel. If the diff is at the upper part of the travel, when the wheel drops you would be putting your CV joints at a bad angle and most likely cause binding and eventually kill the CV joint.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
I opted for a milder SLR lift in terms of ride height in favor of beef and travel. I'm probably at around 2.5-3" over stock, No drop bracket necessary, and with longer shafts in front, geometry is pretty close to stock.

Spencer's diff drop kits give nice height, but for my money I'd stay a bit lower and more stable. Also, who needs to be banging up a blingy drop-down bracket every time you go offroad? 3" does the job nicely, IMO.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts