Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The old saying "Ignorance is bliss" holds fairly true in regards to Nissan ownership.

Maybe true for any manufacture.

Don't get me wrong, I've been a loyal supporter of Nissan for probably 30+ years and during this time I've owned a Hard body pickup, Altima , Titan and most recently a 2014 Nissan Xterra S 4x4.

However, had I read all of the mechanical problems in which the Xterra and Frontier are prone to experiencing, I may have chosen a jeep instead.

Yes, I was fairly relieved to hear Nissans problem regarding SMOD has been fixed prior to my year of manufacture but, a few minutes reading of front and rear differential failures have me somewhat worried about future expensive repairs.

Thankfully, as I read the replies listed in this link
http://www.thenewx.org/forum/11-pow...**-please-read-***-~-front-diff-failures.html it appears the majority of the differential failures were from the model years 05 and 06.

I can remember the Titan also had an issue with its rear differential during the 04-05 years.
With this in mind, does anyone know if Nissan made any improvements in the front/rear differentials of the xterra and or frontier to alleviate the potential of this known problem
?

·
on line
2,591 Posts
You are fine. Most people and vehicles will go forever without issues. For some reason a couple of early failures turn into the sky is falling. I know of several people who have owned Frontiers and Xterras of this generation and some are getting on a decade old now. None of them have had a catastrophic failure of anything.

The rear diff I know got improvments in '08. The locker went from 2 spider gears to 4 spider gears.

Any vehicle can have issues. There is a Colorado at work that is on the 4th rear differential in the first year. Bone stock and not abused. Looks like the 4th one is finally a good one. That one has been in there for a year now.

So don't worry about it, just drive it. If you plan on abusing it, plan on fixing the problems the abuse will create. That goes for anything. 1-ton Fords were capable of twisting off the pinion on the front diff, 1-ton GMs would fold tie rods if wheeled hard. At this point you know what the failure points are if you push it. In general you don't get into issues until you start running them at the limits.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I have heard from some here that at one point in the earlier years the rear m226 was weaker (had only 2 spider gears I think was said). I haven't seen anything about the c200 or r180 being changed any. Which as you know is why the Titan Diff swap exists in the first place (among other benefits).

Your main weak link is that r180 but many people wheel with them fine as long as you don't come crashing down on one of the front wheels while its spinning fast. Some alternatively install a LOKKA into the front diff to strengthen it as well.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the updates.

I'm attempting to educate myself on what all equipment my X came with.
As I posted above, it's an 2014 4x4 S with 4x4 and a auto trans.

I'm guessing due to the fact its an auto trans and not a pro4x, my rear end is the c200k 3.13:1 ratio. (One wheel wonder)

If im correct about having the c200k rear end, I'm also guessing my front differential would be the R180.

I won't be crawling up any mountains, but there are times in which the land that I hunt will become very muddy.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Thanks for the updates.

I'm attempting to educate myself on what all equipment my X came with.
As I posted above, it's an 2014 4x4 S with 4x4 and a auto trans.

I'm guessing due to the fact its an auto trans and not a pro4x, my rear end is the c200k 3.13:1 ratio. (One wheel wonder)

If im correct about having the c200k rear end, I'm also guessing my front differential would be the R180.

I won't be crawling up any mountains, but there are times in which the land that I hunt will become very muddy.

Yes all Xterra's have the r180 front diff.

Don't be afraid of your vehicle. The vast majority of people will never wheel these things hard enough to be an issue. They're quite capable.

Luck

·
Premium Member
9,954 Posts
Auto/Manual doesn't matter in what rear diff you got. A Pro4x/Offroad has the m226 otherwise you have a C200 but Auto/Manual have different gearing and I'm not sure offhand what yours would be specifically. You may be right on it.

Yes all Xterra's have the r180 front diff.

Don't be afraid of your vehicle. The vast majority of people will never wheel these things hard enough to be an issue. They're quite capable.

Luck
This is wrong. All manuals have the m226. Whether or not it has the locker, is trim dependent.

Auto x, s, se, have c200k. Auto offroad, pro4x, have m226, locked.

OP you don't have to worry imo. Plenty of people wheel these things hard without issue. The only thing to avoid, is having a fast spinning wheel suddenly get traction. That breaks things in lots of vehicles that are not built. Yhe skinny pedal brakes things, and thats not unique to Nissan.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
This is wrong. All manuals have the m226. Whether or not it has the locker, is trim dependent.

Auto x, s, se, have c200k. Auto offroad, pro4x, have m226, locked.

OP you don't have to worry imo. Plenty of people wheel these things hard without issue. The only thing to avoid, is having a fast spinning wheel suddenly get traction. That breaks things in lots of vehicles that are not built. Yhe skinny pedal brakes things, and thats not unique to Nissan.
My response to his quote was he sounded like the auto/manual determined the diff. I simply stated it didn't and went on to state the trim levels did. I didn't state in my response that a manual doesn't have the m226 or otherwise.

·
Premium Member
9,954 Posts
My response to his quote was he sounded like the auto/manual determined the diff. I simply stated it didn't and went on to state the trim levels did.
Manual does determine what rear axle is in an x. You incorrectly stated that it did not.

Just trying to keep this correct because so many people spread wrong info on this topic around here.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Manual does determine what rear axle is in an x. You incorrectly stated that it did not.

Just trying to keep this correct because so many people spread wrong info on this topic around here.
Thank you for the correction then. Considering this is the place where I've got that info myself in the past It was probably incorrect as well or a bad recall.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Guys.
Thanks for all your replies.
I'm glad there is a community willing to share their experiences.

·
Registered
686 Posts
There is an abundance of information throughout this website. I suggest you sit down and read through a lot of the readily available information.

Don't be so paranoid with all the mishaps and horror stories. Every manufacturer has a weak link and as stated, most people will never reach or find that point.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I suspect the previous two posters are absolutely correct.
Every manufacture has its strengths and weaknesses.

Clearly the Titan which I previously owned had its flaws, but for the most part it was a reliable truck for over 90,000 miles.

As a son of a mechanic, I spent my free time helping my father turn wrenches.
During those days he would often comment:
Check the radiator, engine, transmission and axles for any problems at all.
If found, your probably best to walk away.

(At least the Nissan V6 has a solid reputation)

Thankfully my X seems a fairly solid unit.

There is a positive side to all this.
I suspect Nissan sells apx 55,000 frontier pickups each year and has done so for at least the last ten years.

If these trucks were better known for their failures, there would be far more info posted on the net than there currently is.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The old saying "Ignorance is bliss" holds fairly true in regards to Nissan ownership.

Maybe true for any manufacture.

Don't get me wrong, I've been a loyal supporter of Nissan for probably 30+ years and during this time I've owned a Hard body pickup, Altima , Titan and most recently a 2014 Nissan Xterra S 4x4.

However, had I read all of the mechanical problems in which the Xterra and Frontier are prone to experiencing, I may have chosen a jeep instead.

Yes, I was fairly relieved to hear Nissans problem regarding SMOD has been fixed prior to my year of manufacture but, a few minutes reading of front and rear differential failures have me somewhat worried about future expensive repairs.

Thankfully, as I read the replies listed in this link
http://www.thenewx.org/forum/11-powertrain-driveline/5479-***-please-read-***-~-front-diff-failures.html it appears the majority of the differential failures were from the model years 05 and 06.

I can remember the Titan also had an issue with its rear differential during the 04-05 years.
With this in mind, does anyone know if Nissan made any improvements in the front/rear differentials of the xterra and or frontier to alleviate the potential of this known problem?
I bought a new 2015 Xterra Pro-4 (Bought new, at the Dealer, the last production) and after total maintenance in dealership, never off-road and no pulling nothing at 140K I have to change the rear differential $ 6,200 out of the pocket. I had put 200K miles in 6 years in a Toyota Tacoma and never have nothing. I will sell this one and never a Nissan in my life. I can't understand how they keep in business.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
'06 here..

the last few years i have also moved to the " dont worry about it until it makes you" mindset.

my rear diff is alittle more "clunky" and noisey than it should probably be but.. it works.

I keep good fluid in it and just not going to worry about it unitl it forces me to.

not quite ignorance is bliss, but one step away haha

same with the timing chains/tensioners.. do i hear a whine developing? maybe.. kinda.. but im not going to worry about it until its obvious.

otherwise ill just go crazy while diggin myself a whole of to fill with repair bills trying to fix everything. at that point i might as well just shell out for a new vehicle.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
2014 Nissan Xterra 4x4.
5+ years of ownership.
100% trouble free

·
on line
2,591 Posts
I bought a new 2015 Xterra Pro-4 (Bought new, at the Dealer, the last production) and after total maintenance in dealership, never off-road and no pulling nothing at 140K I have to change the rear differential $ 6,200 out of the pocket. I had put 200K miles in 6 years in a Toyota Tacoma and never have nothing. I will sell this one and never a Nissan in my life. I can't understand how they keep in business.
This is funny. First time post. Digs up a 5 year old thread. Complains that they spent a big chunk of money to make a vehicle completely fixed so there is nothing wrong and is going to sell it. What an idiot. It's fixed now.
Idiot level #2, they paid full price at a Nissan dealer for a new axle. There are plenty of good used axles that independent shops would install all day long for maybe a grand?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts