Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, new to the forum. I recently picked up this 12' pro-4x model. I didn't look thoroughly enough for corrosion - mostly checked the frame and neglected to really crawl under there. Anyway, this diff cover is looking really rough. Doesn't appear to be leaking and feels solid but wondering if I should swap it out? Is that an easy thing to do? I wanna change the gear oil anyway. I looked on RockAuto and they have replacement covers but not 100% sure which one is right.

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Tread

· Registered
1,548 Posts
Yes it is easy to do. You can wire wheel it and put some rust converter on it like POR-15. I elected to buy an ARB iron cover for mine. You should also do the diff breather mod while you are under there to prevent blown out axle seals.

· Registered
2011 Pro 4X,Night Armor.
265 Posts
It's easy if the bolts break loose without snapping. Mine looked like that too. Spray some PB Blaster on them a for a few days before doing it. I also took off the lower sway bar bolt on the right side in that photo and loosened the top one so I could move it out of the way a bit.
I also moved that brake line across the top of it by removing the bolt on that left bracket.
I used this instead of messing with RTV sealant.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes it is easy to do. You can wire wheel it and put some rust converter on it like POR-15. I elected to buy an ARB iron cover for mine. You should also do the diff breather mod while you are under there to prevent blown out axle seals.
Cool. I'm not sure which cover works for me - is it this one?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.