Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
on line
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm relatively new to the lifestyle and have been reading a lot of how tos and I've come across something I found interesting. It was reccomended to attach a hose to the differential bleeder vents and route them higher on your vehicle before attempting water crossings that are above the axles. Is this neccesary and what is the best way to accomplish this?

·
on line
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
just got mine installed. I used 3/16 fuel line for durability. here is how i routed it...

·
TNX Administrator
20,375 Posts
calijetfxr said:
just got mine installed. I used 3/16 fuel line for durability.
Installation looks good, and the fuel line for durability was also a good idea.

·
on line
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sorry about that, i'm new to the add picts game

·
on line
641 Posts
I also used a 3/16" hose when I did mine. Question, is that hose long enough to allow the axle to drop?

·
on line
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i was afriad of that but with the thicker less flexible fuel line i used it is hard to route it oin such a way that it isn't in the way of something or other... suggestions?

·
on line
1,831 Posts
Yeah, understandable.

I'm sure one of the other guys who's done this mod is more qualified to chime in but it's my guess that you could just simply splice in an etension of tubing. Maybe 3" more...?
________
Lovely Wendie

·
Super Moderator
2,600 Posts
When I did this mod, I went to Home Depot and brought the breather connector with me. I went over to Plumbing and found some tubing. I was tossing between 1/4" OD x .170 mm (I think) ID and the 5/16" OD x 3/16" ID.

So, I put the connector in the first one (1/4" OD) and saw that it was a very tight fit. The only thing I didn't like was that the walls of the tubing were kinda thin. Then I put the connector in the 5/16" OD tubing. It was a tight fit, but not extremely tight like the first one. The thing I liked about the 5/16" OD was the walls of the tubing were thicker. I figured the tubing is exposed to rough conditions under the truck, so the thicker tubing should take a better beating. In addition to the 5/16" OD tubing, I bought a small clamp for a secure fit.

Well, when I got home, I put the connector back in the tubing just to check the fitting again, and it got stuck! So, I feel I picked the right tubing!

I'm guessing I used 6' of tubing. That sounds like a lot, but it really doesn't look like it. I left enough tubing coiled up and zip-tied underneath the truck so that when I lift it, I can let out some slack.

·
on line
641 Posts
calijetfxr said:
i was afriad of that but with the thicker less flexible fuel line i used it is hard to route it oin such a way that it isn't in the way of something or other... suggestions?
I went left instead of right. Here are some pics I took when I did mine:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts