Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
on line
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I am looking to upgrade my Xterra a bit and give it a facelift and am looking around for headlights right now. When searching parts yards, they are giving me the option for the 2009 and newer models to choose whether it is the X or S model, or the Offroad or SE model. Is there any difference? I was under the assumption that they all came with the black eyelid outline on the newer models, regardless of which series you got. Can anyone confirm or correct this?

·
on line
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 2005 SE model. Do the new Pro-4X model have the same headlights as mine does?

·
on line
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Headlights are the same across all second gens, just a matter of the housing color. My '10 SE had chrome housings stock, so the PRO-4X/chrome housing should match.
When you say chrome housing, does it look the same as all of the Xterras from 2005-2008? Because they all had the same headlights, same color housings I mean.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I never understood why the chrome housing. If it was up to me when I ordered, I would have told them the black housing. Not a fan of the chrome, and it just will end up requiring me to fix it myself (which I may just end up living with the chrome).

I guess they felt it was a luxury item, but I don't see it that way.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
I never understood why the chrome housing. If it was up to me when I ordered, I would have told them the black housing. Not a fan of the chrome, and it just will end up requiring me to fix it myself (which I may just end up living with the chrome).

I guess they felt it was a luxury item, but I don't see it that way.
It comes right off with oven cleaner. I bought my 2012 Pro4x and couldn't stand the chrome headlights, especially since I have a black X. I melted them apart, took the trim out, sprayed it with over cleaner and let it sit. A little elbow grease and the chrome comes right off. The plastic underneath is gloss black. Just wear gloves.

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
It comes right off with oven cleaner. I bought my 2012 Pro4x and couldn't stand the chrome headlights, especially since I have a black X. I melted them apart, took the trim out, sprayed it with over cleaner and let it sit. A little elbow grease and the chrome comes right off. The plastic underneath is gloss black. Just wear gloves.
You have a picture of how they look now?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Appreciate the note. Excuse the stupid question, but what do you mean when you "melted them apart." Having not done anything more than replacing the entire headlight, I just want to ensure I understand what you are referring to. And is there a requirement to do something at the end to counteract the melting apart?

Again - thanks for the note, because I will definitely be interested in doing this. I would love the tinting ideas people have done, but trying to ensure I don't do anything that may end up drawing attention of law enforcement.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Appreciate the note. Excuse the stupid question, but what do you mean when you "melted them apart." Having not done anything more than replacing the entire headlight, I just want to ensure I understand what you are referring to. And is there a requirement to do something at the end to counteract the melting apart?

Again - thanks for the note, because I will definitely be interested in doing this. I would love the tinting ideas people have done, but trying to ensure I don't do anything that may end up drawing attention of law enforcement.
When you "melt" your headlights apart you are just really heating them up enough to separate the housing and the lens. After which you do what you want to on the inside, reheat the glue back up and stick them back together.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
When you "melt" your headlights apart you are just really heating them up enough to separate the housing and the lens. After which you do what you want to on the inside, reheat the glue back up and stick them back together.
^-This.

-Remove torx screws on the back of the housings that hold the lens on.
-Put one at a time in the oven for 15 minutes at 200 degrees, or as low as the oven will go.
-Carefully pry the lens from the housing. I use some flathead screwdrivers to lift the little snap tabs out of the way.
-Let cool down
-Remove the chrome piece from the front lens by unscrewing more torx screws.

Be very clean and careful throughout the process and you'll be okay. Use something soft on a counter top to put the clear pieces so they don't get scratched. Also avoid touching any of the sealant while it's warm. It's sticky and gets everywhere. Tee hee. :sign10:

·
Registered
13 Posts
When I bought my Pro-4X, I got one of each! Funny thing is, it took me three months to even notice. When I brought it back to the dealer they were baffled too! They let me choose a black housing - not a fan of chrome either.

·
Premium Member
9,791 Posts
When I bought my Pro-4X, I got one of each! Funny thing is, it took me three months to even notice. When I brought it back to the dealer they were baffled too! They let me choose a black housing - not a fan of chrome either.

looks like somebody didn't have dinner ready when the man got home. lol

·
Premium Member
2,299 Posts
Mine were chrome, painted them gray in April 2011. Painted them again in black last month.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts