Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
on line
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to get sliders ASAP and probably will be doing a 2 or 3" lift down the road. What are the differences between getting the regular sliders vs. the sliders for a lifted truck. I don't want to have to replace my sliders down the road. What is the best option?

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Sliders bolt to the frame. Lifting the truck does not change where the sliders attach. If you get a suspension lift then normal sliders will look as they should. If you get a body lift and use normal sliders there will be a larger gap between the sliders and the rocker panel. It does not make the sliders any less effective.

Currently there is only a 3" body lift for the new X's and as far as I know, Shrock does not make a body lift version of the sliders for the new X's. So this makes your selection a bit easier.

·
on line
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick response,

I hit the trails at Paragon Saturday and I want to get some sliders before I do any thing a bit more serious than the Level 1 group run. I probably would be looking at any lift taking place at least a year from now, hopefully I will be more educated about my options by then.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Syndicate said:
When ordering from Shrock there's an option for a body lift version of the sliders... Im assuming they just come with extended brackets...?
That's what I understood, that he does make a slider for the bodylift. But I was understanding that it took place during the build and it mounts up the same meaning you have to order for a BL and that normal sliders don't have a worthy option with brackets to make do. I think it's a strength issue, Jim explained this somewhere before. Call Jim he answers pretty fast! MC

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Ahh, he has updated it now. Last I had heard he wasn't making Body Lift (BL) sliders for the 05+'s, but I guess since now there is a BL out and some people are buying it, it only makes sense.

And yes, the mounting brackets are different and welded on at the time of build. (at least this is how the 1st gens are). I know Jim asked awhile back on XOC if anyone would be interested in bolt on brackets to make non BL versions into BL versions. There was some interest, but I think the last Jim said on that subject that he was still thinking about it.

Bottom line.

If you are getting a BL and you want the sliders to hug the rocker panels, get the BL version (but remember you can not put them on until the BL is on).

If you are getting a BL and don't care there is a 2-3" space between the slider and the rocker (this does not effect it's protection) then get the standard version.

If you are getting a suspension lift and no body lift, then get the standard version of the sliders.

·
on line
1,831 Posts
Personally, when I do my body lift, I'll be satisfied with the sliders being at frame level. It seems to me that moving them higher takes away some of the protection they offer when getting high-centered. Even at their frame level height, they're still going to protect the lifted rocker.
________
UGGS

·
on line
291 Posts
Syndicate said:
Personally, when I do my body lift, I'll be satisfied with the sliders being at frame level. It seems to me that moving them higher takes away some of the protection they offer when getting high-centered. Even at their frame level height, they're still going to protect the lifted rocker.
I was just trying to decide the same thing. I am planning on doing the 3inch BL soon. Then I was going to order the sliders with the BL option. But now I think it might be better to just do the regular sliders. Makes more room to step on. I think. I guess I would have to see what the regular sliders look like on a 3inch BL.

·
Super Moderator
2,600 Posts
lifeinthesouth said:
I guess I would have to see what the regular sliders look like on a 3inch BL.
check out BoonDox rig; he has the 3" BL with the calmini(I think) sliders and it looks fine IMO... the gap doesn't look crazy big or anything.
http://thenewx.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=1761
They kinda look like Shrocks in a couple of the pictures. We need a closer shot. :)

·
TNX Administrator
20,246 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,600 Posts

·
on line
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I will just get the regular ones, I would think that down the road more people that have sliders will start lifting their trucks and demand will cause shrock to make the adapter brackets.

·
on line
1,831 Posts
RockawayBeachBQ said:
Well I will just get the regular ones, I would think that down the road more people that have sliders will start lifting their trucks and demand will cause shrock to make the adapter brackets.
Dude... they DO make ones for body-lifted Xterras.
I don't even think there's a significant price difference, maybe like $10 or something.
________
Uggs

·
on line
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Syndicate said:
RockawayBeachBQ said:
I don't even think there's a significant price difference, maybe like $10 or something.
I get that you can get sliders for a body lift but I won't be doing a lift any time soon, and I may never do a body lift. My point is that a lot of people are probably taking a similar route to mine and getting sliders first and doing lifts later. In a year or two demand will be enough for an adapter for the standard sliders to fit tighter on a body lifted truck. As some have raised the point, I think I may actually prefer the regular sliders over lifted sliders to provide a step to get in to the truck. There may be advantages to having the lifted sliders and if so I am sure people would like to hear them.

·
on line
291 Posts
RockawayBeachBQ said:
Syndicate said:
RockawayBeachBQ said:
I get that you can get sliders for a body lift but I won't be doing a lift any time soon, and I may never do a body lift. My point is that a lot of people are probably taking a similar route to mine and getting sliders first and doing lifts later. In a year or two demand will be enough for an adapter for the standard sliders to fit tighter on a body lifted truck. As some have raised the point, I think I may actually prefer the regular sliders over lifted sliders to provide a step to get in to the truck. There may be advantages to having the lifted sliders and if so I am sure people would like to hear them.
I think it may be better to have the regular sliders on a BL'd X. I haven't seen it in person yet, but from the pictures I've seen there doesn't seem to be alot of room to actually step on. Maybe with a BL and regular sliders it gives a lot more room as a step.
But again, I'm not sure, I've never seen them in person.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts