Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
on line
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting a little paranoid here... Does anybody have a recording of a rear diff whine? What sound does it make? Is it something that you have to listen to carefully or will you know it if it whines? I am asking because the car sounds differently when I disengage the clutch for obvious reasons. When I speed up (the clutch is engaged), I hear more noises which I think are okay since we are gaining speed. However, I just want to be 100% sure that there are no problems with my rear differential before I go on a long road trip.

Thanks!
/v

·
on line
1,149 Posts
Man i hope its not a rear diff. Are you still under warranty? Mine was just replaced last Tues. Good luck man

·
on line
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, that's why I am asking here. Is the noise something that you can hear w/o any issues or do you have to really listen to the car to hear it? I think I have way too much paranoia :)

·
on line
1,149 Posts
On mine i had no gear whine. Mine made some sort of click/clunk upon deceleration. As soon as i let off the gas you could hear some clicking type noise coming from the rear area. Sort of like something was loose. i thought it was just play in the drivetrain but the master tech at Nissan said it was too loud and not normal.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
OK, with the caveat that it's hard to tell without hearing the noise, it sounds like you're describing the regular slight whine the X (MT) tranny makes upon acceleration. My friend thought his tranny was going, and when I drove his X it made the same faint whining sound mine did. So it MAY be normal. It's almost like a slight wheeze.

Let the guys with the blown diffs comment here, but just imagining the part and what it does, a malfunctioning differential is gonna complain pretty loudly and clunking-ly (if that's a word).

And while some diffs go--way too many, no doubt--the vast majority are just fine, at least to date. The main issue is that you have to be too careful off road. Lots of this site's hard wheelers are having diff issues.

Just a reminder: don't turn the wheels hard in 4, especially 4-Lo. If you feel a slight tightness in the steering, or bind, back off and do a three point, or five-point turn if necessary to negotiate the corner. Be especially careful about regaining traction suddenly when a wheel is slipping. Steering hard and lurching (admittedly sometimes unavoidable) are particularly dangerous. And get out of 4 quickly when you're on a surface with good traction so the driveline doesn't "wind up" in a manner that can bend metal.

That's all we can do. That and have fun and hope for the best.

And if you're really worried about the diff, pull the cover and take a look. Feel around, with very clean fingers, for metal debris. Check the fluid for particles. Not that big a job on a Sat afternoon.

Caution, not paranoia. If the noise persists, let the tech at the dealer listen to it. That at least should be free.

·
on line
4,919 Posts
My MT has had a rearend whine since new. The dealer said that there's nothing they can really do and that it happens a lot with the Xterra. It's covered under warranty so I never really worried all that much about it.

I only get the whine when I'm light on the gas at cruising speed (45-60mph). If I'm slowing or speeding up, there's no noise. I am not low on fluids and I have changed my driveline fluids twice now (at 20k and 50k).

·
on line
127 Posts
I get a noise related to engine speed, pretty much anytime above 1300rpms, I've been to three different dealers now, they all swear it's normal... But I'm out of warranty in 700 miles, I'll be that sound becomes not normal then..

·
on line
117 Posts
vman, I had the same questions... How do you know if it’s normal? Here's what I did. Find about 5-10 miles of nice clean fresh asphalt (preferably close to a dealership). Drive your X at different speeds, gentle acceleration, hard acceleration, coasting. Note the RPMs and what the truck sounds like. Note where the sound is coming from. I wrote all of this down so I would not forget it. Then go to a dealership for a test drive. Drive the same model X that you currently own. Drive the same stretch of highway and duplicate the speeds acceleration, decelerations and coasting that you noted from before. If it sounds different you have something that is worth looking into.

I have a 2005 S 4x4, all stock (including tires). I have been on 4 forest roads that I wouldn't even consider being off road. I had been hearing a whine around 65-75 mph and it was only when the gas was barely applied to maintain speed. I thought it was the exhaust. I did the test drive thing and my rear diff is being replaced next week.

Good Luck!

·
on line
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi guys,

After yesterday's tests, I believe that this is the sound of the engine. I found a side street and did something like r_climber has described in his post. The sound is present even if I disengaged the clutch and rev the engine.

Also there is some additional whine when the tranny is engaged, but I felt no vibration or any "clunk-kudank-clunk" sounds from the diff; I suppose that it is good. We'll see what happens. Thank you for all the responses.

/v

·
on line
2,876 Posts
I had the same rear diff whine starting at around 12k miles and had it swapped under warranty at 19k miles. at 24k miles, it started making the same noise. I made appointments but could not keep them. I recently hit 29,500 miles and thought to do my 30k service. Changed the rear diff fluid to mobile 75w-90 (or whatever the manual called for) and guess what? Noise is totally gone!!!

i only filled the rear diff to the hole, without jacking up the rear. Seems to have done the trick....

so far so good... maybe it a fluid type thing? maybe mobile 1 is "better" than the nissan stuff???? who knows. i just know mine is quiet now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts