Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
on line
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so my diff used to whine from 65-70 only, when you hit the gas, no gas and the whine disappears. Now, it is doing it from say 45 or so to like 55. I went by the dealer last week on my lunch hour and tol;d them and they said, tire noise. I was like no, tire noise doesn't disappear when you let your foot off the gas. do they?? they also said they will look at it and i was like, i need e tech to ride and the SM available just in case the tech doesn't here or thinks it is normal. I have almost 19k on the truck. The 65- 70mph whine presented around 8k or so and i told them about that but they said it was tire noise and everything looked fine. I mentioned low fluid level as a possibility and they basically said they were fine. I think they didn't check. Now, it whines from 65-75 and 45 to like 55. It's a high pitched whine not a low howl. The 45 mph is higher pitched it seems and goes away when letting off the gas as well. Am i making too much out of this? I think not, but i know what they will more than likely say: it's normal, they all do that. I will cry bs. I told the rep my bronco did that and swapping the rear diff fixed it. She was like, fords are nothing like nissans! implying nissans are way better. I was like, well, they should go back to building nissans in japan because the people in smyrna aren't paying attention to detail...

anyways, whatcha all think? Oh, and what is the chance of them saying to me: "well, you have aftermarket driving lights on your truck, sorry, but that voids the warranty on the drivetrain!" I am not so naive as to believe that and I know the law, but i can't wait to see if they try that on me. Heck, they might even try to say that the whine is the laternator because of the extra load ofrom the lamps-- not, this has whined before the lamps ever even were installed, way before..... if they do, oh, i will go ballistic and rant and rave to the GM/sales guys, everybody. That's just how I am... that method seems to work...

:)

·
on line
279 Posts
Whatever happens, let us know. Mine - a new '07 OR with about 300 miles on it - does exactly the same thing, except it does it when I release the throttle and start to coast, rather than quieting when I coast.

·
on line
1,864 Posts
- :clown: I know you shouldn't HAVE to, but have you guys Popped the Diff. drain plug (when it's cool) and felt for the level of lube ???

--Shouldn't have probs like that with the 07, Nissan has had enough practice, right ???

--Good luck---JIMBO

·
on line
735 Posts
if your pinion depth isn't set up right or the pinion bearing got loose, you'll hear quite a whine in a few hundred miles. The only time I lost a R&P on a brand new truck was an 8.5" 10 bolt chevy- They mean it when they say don't tow for the first 500 miles. The gear set has to work harden before it gets loaded heavy (it towed cross country right off the lot).

·
on line
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
JIMBO said:
- :clown: I know you shouldn't HAVE to, but have you guys Popped the Diff. drain plug (when it's cool) and felt for the level of lube ???

--Shouldn't have probs like that with the 07, Nissan has had enough practice, right ???

--Good luck---JIMBO
well, i don't want them to say: i messed it up by doing that/adding the thread sealant or whatever is needed back there.. I have done rear diff fluid changes etc before, and it's easy, but it is a new truck. I mentioned low fluild level months ago when i first took it in and they said it was fine. I HIGHLY doubt they checked the level. If it turns out to be low and damaged, I will be sure to remind them of what I told them previously. Maybe not, I don't want to pee off the techs there since they are the only deal in town for warranty stuff...

·
on line
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok, got there there this am, sat in the waiting room for 30 minutes and the service manager finally came by and said that their shop foreman is tied up but that he would ride with me. I rode with him and he did hear the noises both at 45-50 and 65-70 or so. It took a while for him ot hear it though. We went back to the service area and we ran into the shop forman. the sm told the sf what he heard with me right there and the sf stated that the noise i hear is weird when applying the gas, usually it is in reverse you here the noise with foot off the gas. anyhow, i have an appt next week the sm promised me a car in front of the sf and the service writer and said the sf will look at it etc. the sm stated he thinks the fluid in my truck needs to be replaced sooner than most vehicles. i checked, it does state if you drive it in muddy roads etc, but i don't do that. anyhow, when the manul says to visually inspect the diff/tranny oil etc, do they mean just look for leaks and not pop the fill plug?? the maint guide defines it as:

Transmission Fluid/Oil, Differential Oil, Transfer case Oil
Visually inspect for signs of leakage at the specified intervals. If towing a trailer, using a camper or car-top carrier, or driving on rough or muddy roads, replace the fluid/oil every 30,000 miles or 24 months.

so does this mean that in schedule 2's maintenance list for 15,000 miles, where it says "Differential oil", I just look for a leak and don't pop the fill plug and put a finger in? To me, the defination says to visually inspect for signs of leakage. Not physically.

whatcha think?

I am thinking about popinf the fill plug this weekend and checking anyways, but living in a complex etc, it's a pain and i am wracked with uneasiness performing in public...

·
on line
108 Posts
I am really interested in what you find please post up which I am sure you were going to do anyways. My X does this too at 65mph to 70mph.
It has done it since I got it about 8 moths ago I always thought it was wind whistling because of the roof rack and I have never heard it at any other speed and still have not. First couple of times when I heard it I would step on it or slow down and it always went away so I never thought to much more about it. My thinking was if it only does it at a certain speed and not a higher speed were there is more strain it probably is not a problem, but maybe it is.
When I bought the X I asked them if they had checked all fluid levels and I even asked about the drive train fluids dealer told me diff, trans, brake, and engine levels were all good I know not to trust them but I know this guy personally.
When I got my new tires at firestone about 2 months later they said all fluids were fine but, I need windshield wiper fluid dumb but okay. It will be interesting to hear what they say.

·
on line
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well i decided not to check it because they will be looking at it wednesday and i don't want it looking suspicious. i have a dealer work order from like july stating i was complaining about the noise and they said diff checks normal. So, i will wait till wednesday and see what they say. no signs of leakage externally though.

·
on line
29 Posts
I had a rear end whine on my 07 from the day I bought it. On the gas it would whine - off the gas it went away. The noise came on at 60 mph and stopped at 70 mph. I took it into the dealer at about 3,000 miles. The service manager said it was defective,and replaced the rear end,axles etc. No noise now.

·
on line
735 Posts
I was thinking about this the other day while driving. I've had some SLIGHTLY noisy gear sets before..usually on the smaller sized axles on cars, but my '05 runs quieter than the tires..must have a had a bad setup get through on a few axles off the factory floor.

if it is bad, it will get louder...document and then bring back at 35k miles..or at least right before the powertrain warranty is out. If you have a paper saying it was making noise at 20k miles, the dealer will be obligated to believe it wasn't recent abuse.

·
on line
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i checked the level, it is full and clean.

it was pretty easy to check too, BUT, you need a hex head socket to do the job.... thankfully, the local autozone has them and they let me try before i buy..

:)

we shall see what the dealer says wed.

·
on line
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok, back from dealer:

they basically told me after hearing the noise again and the tech hearing it, that they are consulting with nissan tech for the next step and that the parts should be in next week sometime. I asked what parts, and they said not sure but whatever nissan tech says, we will order the parts etc. The SM told me that may or may not be a complete diff. I got no paperwork for today because he can't close out the ticket until nissan tech gets back wtih him...

not sure what to make of all this....

·
on line
230 Posts
silverflash said:
ok, back from dealer:

they basically told me after hearing the noise again and the tech hearing it, that they are consulting with nissan tech for the next step and that the parts should be in next week sometime. I asked what parts, and they said not sure but whatever nissan tech says, we will order the parts etc. The SM told me that may or may not be a complete diff. I got no paperwork for today because he can't close out the ticket until nissan tech gets back wtih him...

not sure what to make of all this....
What? A rear diff...come on they never blow...you must have abused it! :geek:

·
on line
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok, meant to also say they took the tires off of a brand new xterra and put them on mine, and my diff still whines. the new x did not with either set of tires.... ;-/ i could have told them the outcome of that test.

also, they committed a few car faupaux in my book:

1) left the key dangling in the door lock in the service drive outside, just asking to be stolen. i asked about this and they were like, nothing will happen, don't worry. i was like "so you'll payoff my truck AND put me in one just like at no cost to me if it is stolen because of your stupidity" . should have seen the looks i got.

2) they gave me a rental, which i was grateful for, BUT, they wanted me to just bring the car to them so they could return it. right. since my name is all over the rental agreement regarding liability etc, that would not be wise on my part. what happens if an employee of the dealer takes it for a joy ride? i pay for damages or at least my car insurance co does, which means higher rates for me...

3) i looked tonight and it appears that the drainplug of the rear diff hasn't been touched. the grey sealant gasket maker i put on there when i checked looks identical in shape and thickness....unless they didn't reseal it which might be what happened...

·
on line
735 Posts
You'll probably get a new rear end. Back in the day when i turned wrenches, we put the key on the roof or opened the windows first. You might be surprised (or maybe not) to know how many times keys get locked inside at shops. Some people have alarms also..those damn things go off and you won't be able to find the key fob...I think you got bent out of shape for nothing- because leaving the key on the immediate outside of the car causes the least amount of headaches and loss.

·
on line
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well, got the call today- new diff waiting for me. dropped off truck tonight. they will do tomorrow..

we shall see...

1 - 20 of 42 Posts