Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
on line
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 06 off-road auto tranny. I haven't seen the answer on the forum about ratios.I wanted to know what is the gear ratio I keep getting different answers nissan says on the web page its a 354 ratio.How do I find out which axles I have 200,226 and the spline count I've seen some say dana 44 others say its not a 44 but a revamped version of it.

·
on line
735 Posts
If your truck is still clean and new enough to read the assemblt tag on the rear diff housing, then the model and ratio number is clearly shown.

Mine is a 2005 MT offroad model and has 3.69 gears. I think the auto does have a 3.5x, but I can't recall. At anyrate the 6 speed OR has about a 42:1 crawl ratio. certainly 3.7to1 is needed vs 3.5to1 to compensate for 32 inch tires- not sure about the final drive differences, but perhaps the 6 speed has a deeper OD ratio.

OR models all have the hybrid dana 44 with fullsize truck axle tube thicknesses and a higher than normal spline count on the axles. the 8.5" ring gear is kind of mid sized at best, but 1/2 ton chevy 10 bolts have proven to be ok over the years if you keep the tow weight reasonable(same size). mainly I worry about the front diff.

·
on line
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I'll go check it out but I've thrown mine in some pretty deep mud holes might be m.i.a by now :blob:

·
on line
735 Posts
let us know...I think you ought to be able to wet a towel and wipe down the tag. if not, there are mechanical ways to count the revolutions of the drive shaft for one turn of the tire.

btw, the tag is not on the axle tube, but the pass side of the pinion snout.

·
on line
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found it thanks,I feel violated mines a 3.36 ratio being the front isn't listed it has to be the same right,I know that might be a stupid question but I'm new to the 4x4 world.

·
on line
3,217 Posts
Correct. Your front and rear diffs has to have the same ratio.

·
on line
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Dan,have the x's that have had the front diff problems 3.71,3.54 or 3.36 like mine I would prefer the lower gear but it is what it is.or are most the broken diffs just a mixture?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts