Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
on line
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry I don't get on the site as often as I'd like, guys. Definitely email ua with any questions you have or better, yet, call us at (951) 780-5331. I'll try my best to log in a bit more often.

Anyway, Dan, this is what my Greg advised when I told him about the problem the other Greg had:

What on the differential broke? What happened exactly? The diff shouldn't be affected by the arms at all - the diff doesn't know where the tires are.
The built in droop stop on the TC UCA will only allow so much down travel. At that point the factory cv's or ball joint are not close to binding or at their limits. There's got to be something else wrong. With the upper arms it just shouldn't affect the differential at all. Although we don't recommend combining the spacer kit and the AC coil, it should have no bearing on the differential. I'm curious at to whether he figured out what the problem was.

Please let us know what the outcome was or if he figured out what the problem was. Sucks that he was having problems.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I tried to say that before in the blown diff thread. The angles of the shafts will not cause a blown diff, at most it will result in the binding of the CV joint and blow it out. That is unless the CV Joint is in fact stronger than the diff...which would shock me.

I have been through a diff already. The dealership covered it under warranty but blamed it on the 285/75R16 BFG MT's I am running. I can see the added grip putting stress on the diff. Though when I blew mine it wasn't even as if I was bouncing the front end or even that I caught traction quickly. I just think either the new front diffs are weak, or there is a defect.

·
on line
641 Posts
Muzikman said:
I tried to say that before in the blown diff thread. The angles of the shafts will not cause a blown diff, at most it will result in the binding of the CV joint and blow it out. That is unless the CV Joint is in fact stronger than the diff...which would shock me.
X2

Muzikman said:
I have been through a diff already. The dealership covered it under warranty but blamed it on the 285/75R16 BFG MT's I am running. I can see the added grip putting stress on the diff. Though when I blew mine it wasn't even as if I was bouncing the front end or even that I caught traction quickly. I just think either the new front diffs are weak, or there is a defect.
According to 1st gen ownes, our diffs are way weaker that theirs. :geek:

That's why we need an aftert market front locker that replaces the diff (not an add-on, like the EZ-locker). We'd kill two birds with one stone, have a locker and get rid of the weak diff.

G

·
0 Posts
im not 100% sure what blew out in the front end. but BOTH half shafts have play where they connect to the differential. when i engage 4h or 4l and turn i get a binding sensation followed by a horribly voilent clunk in the front end at which point the truck moves normally for a short duration then starts to bind again, rinse and repeat...

i engaged 4h again today and drove it that way quite by accident (long story) and it feels almost as if the front end is locked when the binding occurs. then with the clunk it goes back to normal for a few seconds... not long though, only until i turn again.

i have the truck about 75% back to stock, got the front shrock bumper coming off next weekend, then the truck's going in to dealer sometime after that for service. it will be a month or more probably and you guy's will be the first to know, when i know what's up.

i only have saturdays free to do this stuff. so it's slow going.

Greg

·
on line
15,651 Posts
That is what mine was doing. Since Nissan would not tell me and they would not let me see the diff, I can only guess I was breaking teeth off the spider gears.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts