Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Soaked it in PB blaster. 14mm hex will just spin. I hammered in my 1/2 drive and that started slipping. I stopped because I didn’t want to completely destroy the threads. Thinking of hammering a 15mm in and trying to remove it that way. I don’t have a torch. Any suggestions?

Use a rotary tool to clean up the edges?

·
Registered
45 Posts
You'll have to replace it anyways so maybe try vice-grips on the outside threads but it may just chew through the threads. I would buy a cheap propane torch and heat it first, it will probably come in handy later anyways. A large ez-out/screw extractor might fit in there but it may be too shallow. You could also grind a hex pattern into the outside and hammer a socket onto it. If you have access to a welder at all you could tack a socket onto it.

·
TNX Veteran
4,394 Posts
Find someone that welds. Get a nut that will slip over the plug and have it welded on. Remove plug.
I've done this before on a diff plug for another vehicle, except I used a cheap socket

·
Registered
2012 Pro-4x
42 Posts
If you aren’t able to weld on a socket you can try jbweld as well. Either way I would def pick up a 30$ propane torch at your local Home Depot and heat it up for a quick minute, it really works wonders.

·
on line
2,908 Posts
i vote for vicegrips and a few good whacks with a large hammer. pb blaster as well- again. replace plug with a new one.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
I wonder if you have enough of the plug exposed to get a pipe wrench on it.

·
Registered
‘06 Super Black S 5AT & ‘10 Knight Armor OR 5AT
1,043 Posts
Semtex.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you don't need to drive the car I would suggest taking the cover off and soak the nut and cover in rust penetrant for about 3 days.. Just spraying it isn't getting down deep enough to remove the rust so you can get it loose, Or order another and just replace the whole thing. You can probably find one in the local junk yard cheap.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts