Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
on line
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting to worry about my diff since I lifted the X with the PRG spacer/deaver kit. I want to put a bit bigger tires on it. Will I be ok with 33" tires? Am I only being paranoid, or am I taking a serious risk? I dont off road much, and when I do its only cruising around smooth trails with mud puddles and the occasional short climb. No rock crawls, no spinning up rocky acsents.

Either tell me everything is OK, or remind me how weak they are. I can not afford (not only $) to have a diff go.

Thanks

PS: 2007 Off Road Manual Trans/ (rear=m226, right? whats the front?)

·
on line
230 Posts
With stock tires they will eventually fail. With anything larger it will happen ASAP. Sorry, but without Nissan stepping up to the plate, or major expense down the road when aftermarket parts come out, we are safely dead in the water. You can kill the rear locker with a true trac like me, but the front will require 100% replacement down the road....

·
on line
564 Posts
lloyd Swartz said:
With stock tires they will eventually fail. With anything larger it will happen ASAP. Sorry, but without Nissan stepping up to the plate, or major expense down the road when aftermarket parts come out, we are safely dead in the water....

Dude, how can you make that statement? Are you telling us that out of the 169,368 X's sold (2005-2007), that they will eventually fail. There are many X owners on this board with stock tires and larger than OEM tires that have not had any diff issues. I think you are over dramatizing the weak diff issues...especially since avizpls clearly stated that "I dont off road much, and when I do its only cruising around smooth trails with mud puddles and the occasional short climb. No rock crawls, no spinning up rocky acsents". I think in his case he will probably never have any problems with his diff, even with larger tires (33's).

Rob

·
on line
3,272 Posts
x2 Rob

I think Nissan really skunked it on this one but I doubt they will all fail. I am sure plenty will but 33's aren't the end of the world. Especially for light off roading which to me sounds more like just taking it on dirt roads and such.

Now personally, I won't go bigger than 265 but that is just me. Plenty people here run 285's and a lot get away with it.

I wish there was a way to determine where the part came from. I have this thought in my head that depending on where it was created, we can tell what parts are quality and what parts aren't.

You know what I mean? Does that make sense?

·
on line
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess I understated my trailing a bit. On my lunch break, I went down a hill that dropped over some ruts, slid on some rocks, etc. But I didnt go back up it. :cat: <-skardy kat

I like to think my equipment is bulletproof, and its clearly not. I want to know the limits, but I dont want to find out for myself.

I appriciate the input so far, and will take into consideration all opinions.

·
on line
230 Posts
I would say if you wheel your rig, you are 90% guaranteed to blow a diff at some point, with 33s 100%. Now remember, BOTH diffs are extremely weak. You may not blow one tomorrow....maybe not during the warranty period.....but if you keep it long enough. There are Titan guys, most of which never go off-road and have stock tires that have blown 3-7 diffs! Yes, I know they tow, but still....

Now not all 167,000 X will blow a diff, since many will never even be put in 4x4. As well, the Off-Roads(what most wheelers buy) has the defective rear diff. So if your model has the Nissan REAR diff, then you likely only have 1 defective diff, which helps the odds for you.

I predict the overall percentage will grow to be shocking at some point. And Nissan will bear plenty of $$$$ before warranties expire, and court cases end.

·
on line
2,248 Posts
avisplz,

Don't worry about your spacer/shackle lift.

LLoyd's statement was a little extreme. But, given what he is going through with Nissan, I'd say he has a right to be upset.

The front diffs do seem to have a weak point that nobody has been able to pinpoint yet. However, I run 33" tires (and a very heavy tire/wheel combo at a 100 lbs a corner) and wheel the poop out of mine in every type of terrain I can find. That being said, whenever I get a little hung up and I realize there's a potential to suddenly catch traction I go pretty easy on the throttle. Knock on wood, but no problems yet.

Although a lot of people around here like to bash the M226, the issue doesn't seem to be the axle itself, but the ring gear that Nissan had to modify (grind out the inner circumference, thereby weakening the ring gear) to fit the carrier housing for the factory e-locker. Somebody feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here, but we haven't seen a single non-OR model M226 report a failure.

I see you've got a OR model so I'll try to make you feel better. There were several 2nd gen OR models with 33" tires running around at last year's GONE MOAB, and none of them had any rear end issues.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to insuate that all of the breakages we've seen so far are the result of careless drivers, 'cause they're not. But don't be afraid to wheel it either, especially if that's one of the reasons you bought it.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
No problems for me..... When I start having problems, then you should get worried.

I also had 285/75/16's on before the 315/70/17's so if anyone has weak diffs that are about to explode, its me.

So far so good. (plus I have alot of extra power.... that cant be good with weak diffs)

·
on line
3,272 Posts
S_e_X-Terra said:
No problems for me..... When I start having problems, then you should get worried.

I also had 285/75/16's on before the 315/70/17's so if anyone has weak diffs that are about to explode, its me.

So far so good. (plus I have alot of extra power.... that cant be good with weak diffs)

I am really digging that green on your d rings man!

·
on line
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It seems people are taking one of two stances

"they are junk, and will break tomorrow if not today" or "Well, MINE hasnt broke?"

Is there even one person that will say that despite the immense abuse they,ve put thiers through, its still good. Someone that will vouch for how durable tehy are. Doesnt seem like it, and thats what scares me.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Well its really hard to say something like that.

if ten people have exploding diffs.... then you will start to wonder if yours is going to be next.

I guarantee that nobody can make any statement saying that the diffs are tough as nails and cant be broken.

·
on line
612 Posts
If it's such a big deal to you, just don't get the 33's. Simple as that. You're expecting way too much from us, nobody can tell you for a fact that your diff will explode. I don't mean to sound like an ass, but dems the facts.

·
on line
429 Posts
avizpls said:
but I AM afraid. I have no other transportation while its in the shop, and I cant risk it not being covered.

Does Pittsburgh East Nissan offer a complimentary temp vehicle while yours is in the shop?

Does this do us any good: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/ ?
Don't get me started. They had my truck for over three weeks and said they could do three days rental. At the same time they have a hundred used pieces of crap on the lot, and even gave one away at our club's meet and greet.

·
on line
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
you dont sound like an ass. Im just trying to get opinions like yours since, as you say, there is no definate answer. So far, I've learned that avoiding plus sized tires is a step in the safe direction and I will be taking that step. (actually, I supposed thats standing still)

·
on line
423 Posts
You hae two choices...go for it or don't. If you don't, then you just as well move to another vehicle, as you will always worry about "what if". If you stay with it and go for it, and then break something, yeah, that will suck, but you made the decision.

SEXterra...Your pics are killer!!!

·
on line
3,272 Posts
Seriously though, the bottom line is that no vehicle is bulletproof. Even Jeeps have their issues. The d35 on the yj's(?) have many complaints about them.

I dont know how other people feel and I dont want to get flamed too bad but I really don't know if you will be able to really tell the difference when you wheel with 285's vs. 265's. I mean I played it safe and went with the 265's and I am happy with them. In most cases I air down and they do the trick for me.

Others may say they make a huge difference or that they can tell the difference but I say if you are comparing one size with the very next size, it can't be that much of a difference.

Now compare a 265 with 35's and I'll believe you.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts