Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
on line
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this may be a dumb question.. but is the diff cover generally considering "warranty safe"? My Xterra's only a few months old and I'm new offroading so I'm still kind of feeling out which mods I can tackle and still have Nissan on my side.

The reason I ask, is it sounds like with some people's experience of leaks and having to reseal, it appears to be a little more involved than a standard bolt-on mod.

thanks!

eric

·
on line
807 Posts
I'm not sure what the question is really....
What do you want to do, run with a dif. skid? The finned aluminum dif. cover? A different steel dif. cover? No dif. cover (lol)?

·
on line
294 Posts
sounds like he's looking for the shrock diff protector, like this:

(hope it's ok i used your pic, MC)

·
on line
15,651 Posts
You should have no problems with the warranty. The only thing I can see voiding a warranty is if you end up with a failed rear diff and they determine the cause of the failure to be from the install of the armor. The only way that would happen is if you did something like fill the diff with RTV sealant or allow all the gear oil to drain out and not replace it. The actual cover and armor have no affect on the actual workings of the diff besides holding in fluid and keeping out dirt.

You would have a better chance of them denying a warranty claim because of a diff breather extension.

·
on line
4,594 Posts
I understand and agree with the assessment in your first paragraph.

You would have a better chance of them denying a warranty claim because of a diff breather extension.
I don't disagree with this statement. But I'm curious as to your reasoning.
Is this because this is a true modification from the originally designed breather? Care to elaborate please?

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Yes, that is pretty much it. The breather actually has an effect on the diff it's self. If it can not vent, it could blow seals. Very very unlikely, but it could.

·
on line
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the input guys! (and yes I was referring to the ShrockWorks diff cover) Good to know about the breather being questionable, that was something on my radar as well.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I'm not saying don't do it...but it would have a better chance of voiding the warranty then the diff armor. Especially Shrock's armor that leave the stock cover in place.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
If you cross water, I'd say doing the Diff breather extension Mod would be a lot better than not, as you will notice if the breather gets blocked (And a factory one can also) by the oil all over the place, But with no extension you will have water in the diff with the oil making a real mess you won't see, until it's too late. So, Install the diff breather, use a firm line, route it wisely and install the diff cover, Your right, it takes some extra care to install, you have to keep an eye on it but after you make it through the first week no leaks you will be fine after that. But hey, we wheel, so after each wheel take a close look at all of that stuff, It just makes sense. MC

·
on line
15,651 Posts
For what it's worth, I do many water crossings and mud (hard to avoid in PA) and never had the breather mod and never had a trace of water in my diff.

I don't think it's a bad idea, but I think the check valve does it's job well.

·
on line
807 Posts
My stock diff breather got caked in mud and was stuck permanently in 1 position (not sure if it was open or closed, but I never blew a seal or anything) so nissan should thank me for the extension. Heck, Nissan has extensions on our front diff, and trans. case.

·
on line
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had the X in 2ft+ water without a breather extension and the fluid was fine. But I plan on extending that sucker once I do the diff cover install just to be safe. Thanks for the tips fellas!

·
on line
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
just a follow up...

installed the C200 diff cover yesterday. Had to do LOTS of filing and dremeling to the holes just to get the thing to fit. Oh and same inability to torque as others have stated. It looks great though, worth the trouble.

Breather extension to be installed next weekend hopefully (new valve should be arriving this week)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts