Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
on line
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I just got the Differential cover in and thought I would post a couple pictures. I should get it installed this afternoon as will post those pictures as well.

This is the D44 variant, powder coated red. There is a small ding in the poweder coat that looks like it's from shipping, other then that it looks great and feels very solid.

·
on line
358 Posts
Looks "Super Man"

·
on line
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just finished installing it. Didn't have any problems, only concerns are the Allen Screws. Not sure how or if there is a way to toque down and Allen screw; also when I was tightening them down it felt like I might strip them.

I did end up having to disconnect the sway bar from the axle on the drivers side to remove one of the bolts from the Diff. Only had some minor leakage while getting all the holes lined up so I could start tightening them down.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Craftsman sells hex socket adapters. You can then just use a normal torque wrench. You can buy them as a set or indiviually.

·
on line
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
muzikman said:
Craftsman sells hex socket adapters. You can then just use a normal torque wrench. You can buy them as a set or indiviually.
Thanks, I'll pick some up tomorrow. I think I may still have a drip, I drove it around a bit, wipped it cleaned and parked it in a different spot. I'll see tomorrow if I'm still leaking fluid. Hopefully I won't have to pull the whole cover and reseal it.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Yeah, although Jim says that you don't have to reseal it. If it starts leaking when you pull the bolts off, most likely you are going to have to pull the cover, clean it up and reseal it. The rtv silicone sticks to both sides and once you break the seal, it will leak. I have seen this happen a number of times before, not just in X's and not just with Shrock's armor.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Oh, and one other thing. If the ship in the powder coat is all the way to metal, you will want to touch it up with some rust preventing paint. If it starts to rust it will cause the powdercoat to flake off.

·
on line
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the good information. Going to let the truck sit for a few days while pick up everything I need to get it torqued up and resealed; as well as some paint to touch up the one spot.

·
on line
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I got off work today, had obtained all the items I needed so I decided to drain the diff and reseal the cover. Everything went well with no problems, thanks muzikman for the write up. That break line going accross the back of the Diff is a big pain in the ass, but I was able to do it without removing the line. The rain that started halfway through didn't help either.

Well on to my problem; every single one of the Hex Screws stripped before reaching proper torque. I just checked the Shrockworks website and the bolts I recieved were very different in that they have a rounded face.

If/when it stops raining I'll be putting fluid back in, hopefully it will hold without leaking.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Wow...wonder what grade they are.

I didn't have any problems, but as you said, yours were different than the ones I got.

How far were you able to torque them before they stripped?

·
on line
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
muzikman said:
Wow...wonder what grade they are.

I didn't have any problems, but as you said, yours were different than the ones I got.

How far were you able to torque them before they stripped?
Not sure how far they torqued, my torque wrench is one you set via a dial and then it "clicks" when it reaches that torque. The factory bolts had no problems, I would apply even preasure and then it would "click". Doing the same thing with the hex bolts resualted in stripped bolts before the "click". After the first 2 stripped I figured they all were going to, but at this point I needed to get them on best I could, knowing the rest would strip.

·
on line
232 Posts
Mine stripped too... before I got tot the 20lbs I'm sure. I am going to be hunting for replacement bolts now... the damn thing is leaking too.

·
on line
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Damn sorry to hear that. I'm hopping that with the resealing I just did that it won't leek. I may even wait till tomorrow to give the RTV time to fully cure before putting fluid in. Here is a larger pick of the bolts they sent, are these the same ones that you got Mosi?

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I would take one of those bolts to the hardware store and find a Grade5 hex bolt. I will be on a similar search as I want to replace the top three bolts with the same type that Jim sent me so I don't need different tools to take off the cover.

I like said earlier and over on XOC. It's almost pointless to try and put the armor on without taking the cover off and resealing it. Unless you someone get all those lower bolts out without cracking the seal. Once it starts to leak, it's going to be hard to stop.

Either of you talk to Jim about this? If the bolts he is supplying are not working out, he's going to need to start sending out better bolts.

·
on line
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
muzikman said:
I would take one of those bolts to the hardware store and find a Grade5 hex bolt. I will be on a similar search as I want to replace the top three bolts with the same type that Jim sent me so I don't need different tools to take off the cover.

Either of you talk to Jim about this? If the bolts he is supplying are not working out, he's going to need to start sending out better bolts.
I wont' have time to call over to Jim till tomorrow; on the phone with clients the rest of the afternoon. I did send them an email though explaining what happened.

I wanted to wait to see what they said before I went and got new bolts. I'll probalby end up doing that this weekend anyway, but I'm not looking forward to re- doing everythign I just did today; I would just leave it empty but I'm going to need the truck on Friday for work, so I need it at least functional by then.

·
on line
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well it got the best of me and I decided I couldn't wait. Ran to the hardware store and found bolts. Will post picks later, was laying down in the rain swaping them out one by one. They look a lot like the ones from the shrokworks website(except black) and they use a 1/4" Hex instead of the 3/16" that the bolts they shipped used. No problems torquing them down, just had to use vice grips to get the others out. I'll put the Fluid in tomorrow.

Here are the new bolts

·
on line
1,831 Posts
Has anyone had any issues with very slightly misaligned holes? My top two holes didn't line up perfectly and I spent about 2 hours with a hammer trying to pound it into shape. Long story short, a few bolts got cross-threaded because of the misaligned holes. Slight pain, but not a total loss.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
No, mine lined up fine. You weren't tightening them down as you went were you? Leave them all loose so that it can move a bit. Once they are all in, torque them down.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts