Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
on line
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searching around the foreign nissan sites i found out the navara (nissans UK version of the frontier) comes with a diesel engine.

Though it might make for an interesting swap for more down low torque (300 at 2000 RPMs!!) and almost doubled gas mileage (24 city/39 highway, plus diesel is usually cheaper than regular gas)

seems like it would bolt right into the X, I believe you would need the diesel's transmission as well, as the gear ratios appear to be different.

check out the engine specs at:

http://www.whatcar.co.uk/car-review-costs.aspx?RT=745&ED=47799&U=0

and the nissan site:

http://www.nissan.com.au/navaradual07/specifications.asp

no clue where you would get one of those engines though, would probably be a PITA to find in the US, or get shipped over here.

·
on line
331 Posts
Consider this, 2000 RPMs is likely near redline for the motor. You would need to replave the transmisiontoo, as it would be gear all wrong, and are you sure those fuel numbers were in MPG and not KPL?

·
on line
106 Posts
I think for the price to have it shipped here I would rather go with the V8. But it would be kick ass to have a diesel X

·
on line
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
x67934 said:
Consider this, 2000 RPMs is likely near redline for the motor. You would need to replave the transmisiontoo, as it would be gear all wrong, and are you sure those fuel numbers were in MPG and not KPL?
check the link, the mileage is in MPG

·
on line
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
syndicate said:
Interesting idea.

Why couldn't we use our transmission?
the gear ratios are different in the diesel's tranny, plus id bet that the gasoline tranny wouldnt bolt right up to the diesel engine

·
on line
332 Posts
and bio diesel is very cheap.

bio diesel = more wheeling trips

·
on line
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jodokast872 said:
and bio diesel is very cheap.

bio diesel = more wheeling trips
bio diesel takes more energy to create than it saves

·
on line
332 Posts
If i could pump water into the x for gas i would love it. But im all out of pixie dust.

·
on line
1 Posts
Biodiesel does not require more energy to create than it produces. Even the USDA EIA website, which is very conservative, states that biodiesel has a significantly positive energy return on energy invested. It may not be a perfect fuel for other reasons (like cold weather performance and stability), but EROEI is not an issue.

·
on line
5,042 Posts
hahahaha i love how this is the guys first post too lol

·
on line
5,042 Posts
and he's been a member for two years??

·
on line
515 Posts
bio diesel takes more energy to create than it saves
The actual experiment, just for the zombies to reference.

Basically take 50 gallons of vegetable oil in an old hot water heater and add methanol along with some KOH. Wait. Glycerol/water/excess methanol will separate as a lower layer the methyl esters of the fatty acid chains (biodiesel) will float as a separate upper layer. Drain lower layer. Do some simple tests for pH, etc. and you are good to go.

We do this experiment with undergraduates to illustrate the process on a smaller (beaker - separatory funnel) scale.

·
on line
723 Posts
ive been looking and asking about a v9x engine but none of the importers i have talked to know anything about it unless. Hope someone can source one for me. I think its more of a dream though.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts