Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
on line
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, have you seen the commercial where the guy cannot decide on anything, so he just stares, then he goes to the auto parts store and see the Prestone sign and it says...This Is The One, or something like that? That has been me with my lift, or decision on one. Couldn't decide. Finally did.

I don't have any plans at all to SAS, so the lift I do is the one for the truck for good. If I SAS, it will by my 2000 X, but that is not in the near future at all.

Back to the lift: Today, I ordered the Calmini 5" lift. I know they are not popular with this gang, but I have had excellent luck with them on my 2000 X. I wanted something more than a 2.5ish lift, although that is is what I have on my 2000.

They are ready to ship the first batch of the 5" within the next month. The first batch goes mostly to the Frontiers, with a handful of Xterras. The second batch is my batch. I know delivery dates are soft on all of the vendors out there, so I will take the delivery time frame as a suggestion.

In the Utah Xterra Owners Club, there are a handful of 2nd Gens. Some of you know Fastdrmr. He will have the first 2nd gen lift in UXOC. He and I will install it, and then I will be able to plan for mine.

Anyway, pretty psyched...my X needs some more air under it. After the install, I will save all of my aluminum cans and pennies, some quarters, dimes, nickels, and tenty dollar bills, skip lunches, stop drinking premium beer and go for bud light and buy some new coil overs...maybe in the Fall next year after I have a chance to run the truck...then again...I need to think about tires. It is only money, right?

:bounce: waiting for my lift... :bounce:

·
on line
1,361 Posts
congrats on the purchase. I do not know heads or tails what is a good lift so it sounds cool to me :thumbright:

·
on line
2,248 Posts
JtaoJ said:
Back to the lift: Today, I ordered the Calmini 5" lift. I know they are not popular with this gang, but I have had excellent luck with them on my 2000 X.
It seems to me that the only reason that this lift is unpopular with this group is because more times than not, it's being compared to the SLR kit (which does seem to be better designed and included higher quality components). That being said, yours is about half the price. You can do a lot with that extra $1800.

JtaoJ said:
Anyway, pretty psyched...my X needs some more air under it. After the install, I will save all of my aluminum cans and pennies, some quarters, dimes, nickels, and tenty dollar bills, skip lunches, stop drinking premium beer and go for bud light and buy some new coil overs...maybe in the Fall next year after I have a chance to run the truck...then again...I need to think about tires. It is only money, right?
I'd be pumped as well. Good luck with the install. Just make sure you post some pics for us.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
The only bad things i have heard about calmini is that if something breaks (which always happens when you go wheeling too much), you will have a hard time getting spare parts out of them.

I dont know if this is a true statement or not... its just what i have heard on this forum and over at.... hmmmm.... XOC

·
on line
1,114 Posts
Good luck and keep us posted. Calmini is notoriously insincere concerning product availability or ship day estimates. I hope your patient.

·
on line
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yup, heard all of that, and know of the delays. I have the aftermarket steering on my 2000 and had the brass bushing go bad. Didn't have a bit of a problem getting the replacement parts for free, and he sent them first then I sent the bad part back. I have had good luck with my Calmini stuff and several of the UXOCers have as well. I guess I haven't seen the quality issues, but I don't have that much experience with them beyond my own truck.

They gave me a soft ship date but I (maybe I am Pollyanna) think it will be close to that. They have officially announced the first of Dec for Frontys and the end of Dec for X's.

I will post pics when the lift makes it here, measurements before and after, etc.

·
on line
87 Posts
I hear once you make sure they have shipped you all the parts the only complaints are there powder coating. So maybe spray paint over there blue powder coat wityh black some something and you should be good?

·
on line
2,938 Posts
I think I would rather be in the 2nd batch then the first. Then some if any of the bugs have been worked out.

Good luck.

A big factor will be both quality and easy of install. From flipflop's posts it seems there was a lot of custom install work that needed to be done. That just adds to the price. Of course he is the first with the SLR lift.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts