Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

My wife's xterra was leaking coolant and she took it to the mechanic. He's been alright for us thus far but the repair came at this price and I'm not sure where all the money went (total $1,909.97) 2011 model year xterra.

Parts:
626-610 heater hose assembly
92410-EA200 heater hose assembly w/ pipe
92410-EA200 heater hose
1 gallon coolant

234-4297 Oxygen sensor downstream left
234-4313 Oxygen sensor downstream right
234-9036 Air fuel ratio sensor upstream

He says he replaced all 4 o2 sensors

Does this really add up to this much or did she (I) get ripped off?

Thanks for your help,

J

·
Registered
148 Posts
my opinion: Big yes. I'd be embarrassed to charge more than $500 labor on this. Mobile mechanic, maybe 3 hours tops plus part shopping.

Assuming average o2 sensor is $80, denso 234-4297 is more like $60ish so if anything this is an overestimate
($80 + 30% shop convivence)*4 = $416 + quick labor, they're not hard to access.

The hoses are in the tens of dollars and I've done that part personally; takes 15, 20 mins.

caveat: never owned or worked in a shop

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what it looked like to me the receipt says $1,237 for parts and $528 for labor, seems way off.

What a way to end this s*t year....

·
Registered
638 Posts
If you buy expensive sensors they are maybe 160 a piece, the hoses are maybe 45 all together. Genuine Nissan Coolant is about 20 a gallon.

All together that’s $705 if you buy the most expensive stuff.
sounds like he’a marking stuff up almost 100%

·
Registered
96 Posts
Let's hope the check engine light was on when your wife brought it in for a coolant leak, hence the oxygen sensor replacement work. I"ll also assume the shop found one or maybe two oxygen sensors was bad and decided to replace all four since the others may fail as well.....somewhat reasonable I guess.

How many miles are on your 2011? I just replaced those heater inlet and out hoses on my 2011 and I bought similar parts listed above to do it: 2 hoses and 1 gallon of Nissan coolant. That was less than $100 by the way. I'm curious how many miles the oxygen sensors lasted.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anyone know a mechanic in the Austin TX or surrounding areas that isn't marking stuff up over 100% and is reliable?

I looked up the parts myself and there's no way this wasn't a straight cash grab.

Thanks everyone

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The reason I left the dealer in the first place was dishonest pricing sigh....

·
Registered
638 Posts
I"ll also assume the shop found one or maybe two oxygen sensors was bad and decided to replace all four since the others may fail as well.....somewhat reasonable I guess.
No shop should replace sensors because "they might go bad" without at least consulting with the customer.
It's not like they're in a hard spot to get to that "you might as well get them while you're in there" kinda thing.

I had a o2 sensor go out 7 years ago. Only replaced that sensor and never had another one fail.

I'd have a pretty hard time believing all 4 went bad at once, unless something is seriously wrong with the engine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Car has never had a problem, best car we've ever had. So I have a hard time believing something was majority wrong. Nothing I can do about it now I guess. Just find a mechanic who isn't a thief

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Anyone know a mechanic in the Austin TX or surrounding areas that isn't marking stuff up over 100% and is reliable?

I looked up the parts myself and there's no way this wasn't a straight cash grab.

Thanks everyone
Sorry this happened to you but yeah, you got ripped off. Unless you and your wife start looking after your own interests in stuff like this it won't matter what mechanic you use. Understand what the work is and why it's being done. Then do a quick sanity check on parts and labor. Nowadays this is easy to do right from your phone.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Wow, that really sucks. Very sorry to hear.

The hoses and flush are maybe 2-3 hours of labor plus the price of the hoses. I think I ordered all 12 coolant hoses from Nisan for like $150.00

There is absolutely, positively no reason to replace all 4 02 sensors at once. That's outright crooked.

Don't feel bad JJP - happens to lots of people. Crooked mechanics are scum.

Come here for better advice going forward. Consider it a learning experience. As someone with 2 kids in college $2000.00 tuition is actually very cheap.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks, he roped us in for 3 years with great pricing and service and then this lol

Oh well, will try and find a new one.

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
You can't go by how much time it you take you. Mechanics go by book time. However, looking at book times and retail prices plus markup, this adds up. However, he did it by the most book time he could and with a very high markup. While you didn't get scammed, he charged as much as a shop could "justify." What shop was it? Austin here too. Want to know who to avoid.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
You can't go by how much time it you take you. Mechanics go by book time. However, looking at book times and retail prices plus markup, this adds up. However, he did it by the most book time he could and with a very high markup. While you didn't get scammed, he charged as much as a shop could "justify." What shop was it? Austin here too. Want to know who to avoid.
Book time on the 02 sensors is likely what 0.3 at most? Its one connector and thread out the sensor. Book time to change a couple of those heater hoses - Again - maybe 0.3 each. Also if your doing multiple hoses at once the book indicates to take account for refilling the coolant - since you do that once. Since he was only charged one gallon of anti freeze the system wasn't flushed - likely just topped back up. So were maybe at 2 to 3 hours book?

The issue is he changed all 4 02 sensors - and apparently charged full boat OEM list of $300.00 each. I can't think of a technical reason to ever change all those sensors at once. They are not wear parts. The $1200.00 in sensors was uncalled for - thats even assuming he in fact used OEM parts - not just charged OEM prices.

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
Sure I can; I just did.

Meineke near here will also charge for actual time if they beat book time.
This guy overpaid, but you can't go by how long it takes you to do a job. 99% of shops use book time. They have to. They have to cover taxes, insurance, rent, electricity, water, chemicals, uniforms, tools, training, etc. There is a lot of overhead in a shop. The dumbest thing a person do is act surprised that is costs more to have someone else do it rather themselves. Again based on pricing it appears this guy charged full blown retail pricing for the work. The most expensive part costs and looks like full labor.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
This guy overpaid, but you can't go by how long it takes you to do a job. 99% of shops use book time. They have to. They have to cover taxes, insurance, rent, electricity, water, chemicals, uniforms, tools, training, etc. There is a lot of overhead in a shop. The dumbest thing a person do is act surprised that is costs more to have someone else do it rather themselves. Again based on pricing it appears this guy charged full blown retail pricing for the work. The most expensive part costs and looks like full labor.
I am OK with full blown retail and fully burdened rate to cover all costs + profit - on Needed Repairs. No vehicle needs all 4 02 sensors swapped. It would be like going in for a physical and ending up without an appendix because they the Dr. Was short on revenue this month. A mechanic throwing high margin parts on for no reason is just a different form of malpractice. Also every indy shop I have ever heard of gives you the option of aftermarket or OEM parts if available. That's why you pay a mechanic fully burdened costs - so they advise you on the best course of action and the most economical solution.

Edit - I just googled the part numbers the OP posted for the 02 sensors. There Denso numbered parts, not OEM - ie there 65.00 each. So were back to the mechanic totally shafting the OP on 400% markup on parts he didn't need. Nice.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts