Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone

I just recently picked up a bottle of dextron VI atf and realized I never confirmed if it was actually the correct fluid for my transmission.
Can someone tell me if I bought the wrong stuff or not?? (2005 with an automatic)

· Registered
2017 crew sv
361 Posts
Hey everyone

I just recently picked up a bottle of dextron VI atf and realized I never confirmed if it was actually the correct fluid for my transmission.
Can someone tell me if I bought the wrong stuff or not?? (2005 with an automatic)
I think thats the wrong stuff.
Dexron VI is for GM and Ford. I never heard it was backward-compatible with Nissan fluids.

According to the Valvoline bottle, MaxLife Multi-Vehicle ATF is suitable for a broad range of automatic transmissions including Ford, GM, Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Hyundai, BMW, Mercedes, Volvo, VW and Audi vehicles. It’s specifically recommended for use in the following applications: GM DEXRON-II, DEXRON-III and DEXRON-VI; Ford MERCON LV; Toyota/Lexus Type T, T-II, T-IV and WS; Honda/Acura ATF-Z1; Nissan/Infiniti Matic-D, Matic-J, Matic-K and Matic-S .

· Registered
3,191 Posts
ATF compatibility will give a person a headache.

For example
(Consider the below info I've shared from the net to be false until you can confirm on your own)

Dexron, Dexron II, IID, and Dexron IIIE is said to be compatible with Nissan vehicles up to 2004
Dexron III and IIIH only GM products
Dexron VI is a newer GM ATF for 2006 and newer GM vehicles, but its said to be backward compatible. Theoretically, you should be able to use Dexron VI in Nissans from 2004 and older.

However, Nissan Matic J is said to be Nissan Specific
Nissan Matic S superseded Matic J and is backwards compatible with Matic J, but its unlikely to be compatible with Matic D which is said to be Dexron IIIe compatible.

So clear huh?

Imo, buy an atf which is specific for your vehicle (OEM) or one which specifically markets compatibility such as (Valvoline MaxLife)

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok sounds good. It's a jug of Mobil Dexron VI. I just found a decent deal on Castrol transmax import multi vehicle atf at my local auto store, I checked Castrol's website and they say it's compatible. I think l'll pick up some of that.

Thanks again for the help, this stuff is confusing

· Registered
212 Posts
I don't mess with trans fluid. OEM only. Usually it's never been changed meaning the car or truck will still have 2/3 to 3/4 of the original fluid left after your drain and fill. So you'd be mixing different ATFs.

S matic isn't cheap but trans issues is worse than the 6 qts for $150 that will do the job for the X.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts