Model: Xterra
Trim: Pro-4X
Color: Metallic Green

MODS

Exterior:
  • Vhigg's Design - Flat Black Hood Graphic
  • KUMA - Custom Aluminum Grille
  • Xoskel - Lo-Pro light bar
  • Aurora - 30" LED Light Bar (currently on front, will be moved to the back)

Interior:
  • KUMA - Custom Interior Rack (for those wondering no not for sale now, if I do sell it will be at goneMOAB I dont want to ship)
  • KUMA - Custom Aluminum Switch Plate
Suspension/Drivetrain: - Parts List (not installed)
  • Titan Swapped m205 w/ Extended Axles and Brake lines
  • ARB Air Locker (Front)
  • 4.56 Gears
  • Rough Country - Titan Control Arms
  • Radflo 2.5 Coilovers
  • 2" Fat Bob's Garage Aluminum Spacer
  • Spring Over Axle
  • Relocated Shock Tabs
  • Bilstein 5100 Shocks
  • 285/75R17 Toyo M/T's (E Range)
  • 17" XD Series Addict Wheels

Armor:
  • Shrockworks - Engine Oil Pan Skid Plate
  • Shrockworks - Transmission Skid Plate
  • Shrockworks - Transfer Case Skid Plate
  • ASFIR - Aluminum Gas Tank Skid Plate
  • Blue Torch Fabworks - Kryptonite Differential Cover
  • White Knuckle Offroad - Fully Plated Sliders

Other:
  • ARB CKMA12 Air Compressor

Upcoming:
  • Custom Made Radiator Skid Bar
  • Custom Made Flat Black Graphics
Comments: So since I decided to start posting again I figured lets start with a clean thread. Now for those of you on the other Xterra forums, although the picture may be the same at first but I will try to mix it up and put different pictures on each forum along with talking about different things so it's not a copy and paste!

For those wondering about my other Xterra's I will post some links up later, this is my 4th Xterra and was not planned. I traded my last Xterra after finding about $5k plus of repairs that needed to be fixed after a recent Moab trip. It was not planned, but I went to the dealership and asked about replacing the clutch but then I spotted this 2012 Green Xterra, switching to automatic is exactly what I wanted too! I was tired of the manual.

PHOTOS

How I currently stand as of 05/04/2014

A few pictures from my photoshoot for school (everything is light painted, no flashes and VERY long exposures)

My KUMA grille

XD Series Addict wheels wrapped with 34" Toyo's

30" Aurora Light Bar from Dark Hour Adventure Lights

·
on line
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
When I picked up the new X, I loved the color it was unique and I knew I wanted a combination of flat black and charcoal grey color scheme.

Although my old X had shrockwork bumpers and good duratracs the only thing I kept out of it was my custom Interior Rack partially why I got the trade I did.

The first run was out to the desert for a nice run with the new truck and my Dad's 2013 Ford F-150 Raptor (I will post some more on that later).

While we are at it, I was shooting some homework assignments for school.

This is what happens when the Raptor flies past you at 100 mph, my interior was covered in dust!

After I shot the pictures I was looking for my dad jumped in my X and I shot this one doing 85 mph's (I don't recommend this but keep in mind we are desert runners and we do this alot we almost never drive at such speeds doing so could cause a blow out to be catastrophic!)

After the sun set I got the chance to do something I love to do! Night photography and particularly low light photography which in this picture I used my flashlights to create this picture. Although this picture you can't see all the stars I may show off a full resolution later.

Next let get into some of the mods!

·
on line
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Earlier this month after a long winter of being stuck inside with pneumonia I got the chance to finally clean up my Xterra

Have to represent my local club United Nissan Off Road

Incase you didn't notice the 30" Aurora LED light bar up top, soon that will be replaced with my 40" Aurora LED light bar which I am purchasing from Dad (he wants a new radius bar as soon as they are released). The 30" will be moved to the back and when I build a rack or buy one I will make sure both fit.

I also got some sliders as part of my christmas present White Knuckle!

I chose to have them fully plated, I love the look and the extra protection

BTF Diff cover (actually 3rd one I have had now, my last X had one and this X got one in July but it was high flow and it was leaking around the flange for the filler hole, sent it back and got a replacement).

Almost full set of skids! I am missing the radiator skid which I think I will possibly wait to see if I can get a new bumper or not before moab.

And for those of you wondering about the ASFIR Aluminum skidplate, it's awesome and weight is not bad at all but really the design isn't the best for offroading. If you look up the other set of skids they are not cooperative with sliders or bumpers. I had to modify this one and cut out a section of it as well as cut off a small section that was hitting my Diff when it would drove down. Ill see if I can get some better pics when I have it on the lift next.

Also solid mounted my phone dock which is awesome and I love!

My phone freezes alot so I mainly use it for playing pandora but its right at my finger tips when I am driving instead of up on the windshield.

Next we will hit parts and then on to my custom grille!

·
on line
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So lets hit on a few of the parts I have collected so far! Picked up from our local classified 2x Pro-4X Rims one which I was planning on selling but I was going to get all the rims powdercoated flat black. However I may be picking up my dad's 285/75R17 Toyo M/T's from him which I have very few miles soon which means I need to buy some new 17" Rim's which I can't decide on a type or brand I like best (it's hard to find good ones with our lug nut pattern).

Thanks to Justin at Fat Bob's Garage I picked up some new Radflo 2.5 Coilover's as part of a plan to Titan Swap!

Christmas present from Santa some Rough Country Titan Upper Control Arms

I don't have pictures of the Adjustable Shackles from Fat Bob's Garage but I will have some soon, I will also get some pictures of the 40" Aurora LED Light bar.

So let's back to the mods!

Vhigg's Flat Black Hood Graphic... Without

With!

Here's a little time lapse of the install
http://youtu.be/volXhEFnGZA

Ignore the grille I will hit that next but I do like the graphic but with the gray plastic I dunno how I feel about it. I am planning on blacking out the plastic and will be replacing bumpers as soon as I can.

Next up the grille project!

·
on line
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have had this mesh from my last Xterra and decided finally to get around to installing it!

I picked up this aluminum mesh from Amazon for $40.00 bucks

After getting my template cut

Pattern traced, at first I tried to use a band saw but the blade was perfect width to get stuck between holes, I moved on to the jigsaw which worked but took some patience to clamp it down and hacksaw was best but took too long.

After bending the tabs using a a vice and hammer I drilled a few holes and used some bolts to secure it.

I will later replace the bolts with button heads which hopefully should sit tight against the face of the grille (the silver part)

Demonstration of how it will look

Other angle you can see how I had to notch it for the two tabs at the top

Straight on

I sent the grille with my dad to get it powdercoated

Semi Gloss Black

Mounted back in place

Showing backside

I used large fender washers to make sure it stayed in places

It is a nice fit but I have yet to fit the face on it and a bit worried it might not work

I like the look of black and don't think I will reinstall the emblem

Straight on

On the X for a test fit

With the face just sitting on it, but not back in place

Next step is to do the other two grille mesh pieces

There are two supports behind this part which I was worried about but ended up after a lot of thinking decided to just cut it out! I worked fast and made my other aluminum mesh pieces

Mounted!

I am going to have replace the fender washers with something a little smaller

How it will look!

Again test fit

Test fit with the face, I sent the other two pieces with my dad to get powdercoated

The plan next is to replace the silver with a dark charcoal grey, and paint the grey plastic with a matte black

This is where I stand now until the next the day I get to do some mods!

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Kuma,
Looking good. How are you going to attach the outer edges of the front fascia? I ran into the same problem after I replaced my main grill when I noticed that the two outer clips are built into the actual stock grill pattern of the two smaller pieces. I ran into someone that had cut them out and the outer tips of his sat about 3/4 of an inch off the front, rather than flush with the headlights. I ended up keeping them, but might cut out depending on how yours turn out with what you do.

·
on line
10,980 Posts
Awesome work ... always have been jealous of your shop (to say nothing of having the time to use it ... that should probably go without saying ... all in good humor, though).

Nice job.

·
on line
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys and thanks about the shop, it's awesome! ;)

To answer your question D'Rock I looked and looks like those mounts are mainly to keep it rigid, look how they barely touch the back plating where that big rectangle opening is. I dont really need them as long as the lower part of the grille snaps in. I will most like though add a bracket afterwards to strengthen it where those two pieces were because later on getting rid of the bumper I am not sure what I will have on the bottom part of the grill to support it. But we will see, work in progress right?

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
hmmm... i might have to steal that grill.

·
on line
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So I lied no update today I just finished putting on the first layer of extremely flat charcoal paint on the face of the grille. Going to let it dry and cure before I move it so I wont get any pics until next week! And feel free to copy if you want, especially for a fellow green X!

·
on line
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Alright update time! I got my remaining pieces back from the powdercoater

Now for those you on XN you will notice this is a different picture. I am trying to keep the pictures different for each forum :) I bolted everything together.

I removed the washers on the front to help with the fit, the button heads work great!

As I have mentioned I was going to paint the front face a dark charcoal color, which I purchased some custom paint which was suppose to have a pearl in it but then had the lady at the desk mix up some flat to make it the way I wanted but I think she mixed too much in.

Back on the X! Took a little modding.

All finished but after finishing I decided I don't like the charcoal gray so I will be changing that too a semi-gloss. Partly because I am planning on a flat black powdercoated shrock bumper.

1 - 20 of 224 Posts