Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Weber State University (WSU) - Automotive Technology Department Professor does an 8 part series on U Joints. Its pretty awesome. In episode 2, he details different U Joint brands and you learn which ones suck, and what makes the good ones "good". Very informative.

Episode 3, he does 30 minutes on the history of the U Joint. Basically, the cheap Autozone and other cheap U Joints are using the design from Spicer's 1966 design because the patent has expired on that design.

Anyway, I've watched the entire series. It is pretty cool learning the perfect "factory" way to install U Joints, how to measure run out and why that is important, why you should do what I've done and order every thickness of snap ring that Spicer makes for your parts supply etc. Some guys who are over OCD like me will love this series. But even the guys who bang em in with a hammer can find good info.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Where did you find your spicer snap rings? One of the joints I did not long ago I had quite a fight with the snap rings. They sent 3 sizes, plus my old one - and none seemed to fit just right. I couldn't re-use the old ones since the joint itself measured a few thousandths shorter or longer than the original joint - not sure if it was a manufacturing error or the old joint was worn or whatever.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wow.....I'm going to have to try and find that info. It was not Amazon or Ebay. I went to Spicer's website and downloaded their part catalog and got the part number and did a search. I found some place that had them, but I had to order them in batches of 25. They are cheap, so that was fine. Took 2 weeks to arrive, that kind of deal. If I remember where, I will post back here.

FYI.....What I have figured out....I over stress my U Joints pulling utility poles and trees out of the road, etc. I used to be an idiot and use Autozone Duralast because they had a lifetime warranty and changing U Joints was pretty easy. Well...Each time I replaced them, it got a tiny bit harder to get the clips in. I've got 245,000 miles, so I've probably changed them 5-6 times. Now, the job is near impossible. Finally realized each time I use the ball joint press to remove them, I'm squeezing in the ears a tiny amount, but it has added up. I'm going to have to come up with a way to widen the ears a little. No, I haven't taken time to measure. Anyway, wanted to bring that up since you also are a high mileage X.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts