Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just did a trip to Canyonlands and drove about 100 miles on dirt and 4x4 roads. The interior was so laden with the red desert dirt that I had to take a hose to the inside of my doors! It was thick. Had to vacuum every inch of the vehicle and then use a wet towel to wipe everything down.
Any suggestions on fixes or filters to help with the dust?

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Nope.... Welcome to Moab red-dust. I still have some in mine and I was there last fall.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
My insides have like 3 layers of different types of dirt when I take it camping/off roading especially by the door handles. Maybe try recirculating the air when you drive and keep all your windows closed but honestly, I don't think it'll help. Your only option is to saran wrap your X when you drive off road lol. :p

·
Registered
985 Posts
Do you not put the ventilation system on recirculate? I've never had a problem in my desert travels (including lots of Canyonlands and Moab driving) by keeping the windows closed and recirculate ON. <shrug>

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you not put the ventilation system on recirculate? I've never had a problem in my desert travels (including lots of Canyonlands and Moab driving) by keeping the windows closed and recirculate ON. <shrug>
Of course I did. I'm wondering though, what are the vents in the cubby holes in the far back corners of cargo area for?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My insides have like 3 layers of different types of dirt when I take it camping/off roading especially by the door handles. Maybe try recirculating the air when you drive and keep all your windows closed but honestly, I don't think it'll help. Your only option is to saran wrap your X when you drive off road lol. :p
Recirc air was on. Looks like I'll just have to deal with it. :)

·
Super Moderator
4,416 Posts
The best options I have employed or seen others employ to control interior dust:

1. Be the lead dog.

2. Replace your cabin air filter regularly.

3. Windows up, A/C or defrost or heat on with air set to recirculate. Not only does this close the vents to outside air, it slightly pressurizes the cabin which helps to keep the fine dust outside.

4. If you like your windows open or partially open, use side window deflectors such as Weathertech.

5. Use a California Duster or reasonable facsimile at the lunch stop and when you get to camp to keep the door jambs clean. Dust off around windows, doors, etc. so you are not constantly tracking dirt and dust inside.

Re #5: I picked up this tip from an experienced jeeper a long time ago. People laugh when they see me pull out my California Duster in the middle of a trail. I laugh on the next trip when I see them pull out a new California Duster of their own. Just ask @XKNUT .

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks like I need to replace the cabin air filter and get a duster! Thanks :cool:

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
5. Use a California Duster or reasonable facsimile at the lunch stop and when you get to camp to keep the door jambs clean. Dust off around windows, doors, etc. so you are not constantly tracking dirt and dust inside.

Re #5: I picked up this tip from an experienced jeeper a long time ago. People laugh when they see me pull out my California Duster in the middle of a trail. I laugh on the next trip when I see them pull out a new California Duster of their own. Just ask @XKNUT .
I concur about the California Duster. I use it on all my cars especially after a nice waxing. That thing picks up dirt like a mofo to keep your car looking fresh even after a few days. I've never used it in the interior.. thanks Mr. Bills for the tip! I'll definitely try it out next time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Does anyone know what the vents (or what appear to be) are for that are in the cubby holes in the far back corners of cargo area? Could they be bringing in dust?

·
Super Moderator
4,416 Posts
The vents in the rear are part of the flow through ventilation system.

Without going into the whys and wherefores, nothing you do or don't do with those rear vents will change the amount of dust inside your rig.

·
Registered
2006 OR
25 Posts
Of course I did. I'm wondering though, what are the vents in the cubby holes in the far back corners of cargo area for?
Ideally the rig is airtight enough that, when running the ventilation pulling in outside air, interior pressure would impede any fresh air coming in. Those vents are to relieve that pressure to allow flow-through. One-way check valve - and if they're operating as designed, you won't have back-flow through them when in recirc mode.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ideally the rig is airtight enough that, when running the ventilation pulling in outside air, interior pressure would impede any fresh air coming in. Those vents are to relieve that pressure to allow flow-through. One-way check valve - and if they're operating as designed, you won't have back-flow through them when in recirc mode.
I'm thinking I might get the X-man in for a checkup. They changed the cabin filter maybe a couple of years ago, so maybe it needs to be changed again. Thanks!

·
Registered
810 Posts
I took my Xterra to southern Utah 1 1/2 months after I purchased it new in 2011. I generally keep it very clean, but no doubt there is still some red dust somewhere from that first trip. There's no way to avoid it. But wiping down the interior and changing out the cabin air filters are effective, though not perfect.

Reactions: Amy DGO

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
I'm thinking I might get the X-man in for a checkup. They changed the cabin filter maybe a couple of years ago, so maybe it needs to be changed again. Thanks!
You don't need to bring your truck to the dealers to have it changed.. it's literally a 10 minute job and only cost you like $15 for the filter.

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
I live in the desert in California there is no stopping the desert dust I could vacuum my interior daily and get sand and dust out.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts