Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I was wondering if anybody knows of a decent shop in the Denver/Aurora area I could take my X to to have an OME suspension install done (and maybe some sliders while it's in the air)?
I'd love to tackle this myself for the experience, but I don't have the tools or time to do it myself. My X is currently my only vehicle so it can't really be out of commission for days while I tinker.
If nothing else, I might look at taking it to 4wheelparts over by 70 and Peoria, or maybe High Country Performance 4x4 out in Englewood (though that's a bit of a drive).

-Brian

·
Registered
762 Posts
I went to High Country to get a quote and it was insane. They charge 90 an hour for labor, not to mention they look at you like your crazy if you want to mod an Xterra. It is a Jeep heavy crowd in there.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ha, I didn't even see the NORAC sub-forum there. Awesomesauce.
That is definitely a better idea than having some Jeep nut touch my X. Plus, I prefer to be involved in the work being done to my vehicles if at all possible.
It still might cost me a pretty penny for the labor though...I like expensive beer :drink:

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Ha, I didn't even see the NORAC sub-forum there. Awesomesauce. That is definitely a better idea than having some Jeep nut touch my X. Plus, I prefer to be involved in the work being done to my vehicles if at all possible. It still might cost me a pretty penny for the labor though...I like expensive beer :drink:
Hey there,
NORAC has a FB page it's listed under Nissan Off Road Association of Colorado. The membership app is on there and we'll be doing a MOD day fairly soon.. FYI we'll be doing trail work this summer as well as hopefully adopting a trail for us to help maintain. If you have any questions get ahold of myself or NYX. Lastly I don't believe Nisstec is doing any installs right now.
Bill

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Ha, I didn't even see the NORAC sub-forum there. Awesomesauce.
That is definitely a better idea than having some Jeep nut touch my X. Plus, I prefer to be involved in the work being done to my vehicles if at all possible.
It still might cost me a pretty penny for the labor though...I like expensive beer :drink:
Hey, I just happen to be a Jeep guy:D

Seriously though if you can wait for a mod day, that is the way to go. One of the last ones we had we did a 2" body lift (suggested about 12 hours of work) in about 3 hours thanks to the wealth of knowledge on this forum, plus it's a great way to get to know the community and just hang out and chill.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I do have Facebook, but haven't used it in years. I'll see if I can't figure out how to apply to the club.
Is there an "honorary member" status? I'm .mil so don't know how long I'll actually be in this awesome state, but would still love to meet some fellow X enthusiasts as well as do some work to better the trails around the area. Beer augmented "free" labor is always a plus as well. It's my favorite way to work after-all. :drink: :notworthy:
I can't wait for the next mod day. I'll for sure have lots of mods for my own X, but am mechanically inclined enough to be able to help others with their mods as well. :bounce:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
And don't worry MadMike, You might be a "Jeep Guy", but you being here means you still have that special place in your heart reserved especially for the Xterra. That makes you an exception to the "Jeep Nut" stereotype. ;)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nisstec is local? Holy crap I suck at reading. :tard:
I was going to buy my lift kit from Rocky Road Outfitters because they were cheapest (including shipping) that I could find. Local negates shipping and is something I prefer anyway.
I'm beginning to regret my usual lurk-more-post-less philosophy when it comes to online forums. You guys are awesome. :hello2:

I know a the guy that owns his own shop, that'll do it. Depending on the Mod days and what not. He owns Smooth Ride, its like two doors away from Nisstec. He's a family friend and has done a lot of lift installs.

·
Registered
308 Posts
RTI is a mostly Toyota shop but they do installs for Nisstec. Matter of fact they had pictures of an install on an Xterra on their facebook page a few days ago.

·
Registered
762 Posts
You said you were .mil, so don't forget that you have a Auto Hobby Shop at your disposal at the Air Force Academy. I installed my lift there, as well as my Brother In Laws. All the tools at your disposal, professional coil compressors, and more. All for 3 bucks an hour.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for that link Old Navy. I shot CellyX a msg since there hasn't been a post in that thread for almost a month.

And JackAttack13, I have been told I can use the hobby shop at the academy, but with the drive from Aurora and my lack of knowledge in the suspension area, I'm not sure I'd be able to get everything done and drivable within a day.

I really appreciate all the helpful info everyone.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Well, I think I've decided to go ahead and attempt to tackle this project myself. After looking through THIS post and THIS post, I feel I can safely accomplish this in my garage.
I have all the tools I think I'd need other than getting the front coilovers assembled. I think I can rent a tool for that though.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
When I did my front ome's with the help of bigred. My spring compressor tool busted. I took my old and new products to pepboys and they put the new struts together for me. Saved a lot of time and frustration for the money I spent. Good luck with your install.
-sass
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I just went ahead an paid to have Nisstec put them together with my order. That way I get all new parts and don't have to worry about anything breaking or tearing my arm off.
Plus, with their holiday sale, it didn't actually cost me any more. Too bad they are back-ordered on the shocks/leafs tho. Guess that OME stuff is popular around here.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts