Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Guys, Getting ready to move from NYC to Florida, and will be towing a trailer with our things, and when searching the forum here I'm seeing guys towing the 6x12, but I'm being denied the smaller 5'x10' for some reason, any idea why?

Looks like I'll have to go with the 5x8, which I think I can make work, but I've got a question about buying a Hitch. I'm looking at the Curt Mount 2. Anyone know if the 2" Ball is too large for the 5x8 Trailer?

Since it doesn't look like I can get the 5x10, I'm guessing I don't need the 7 to 4 pin connector since there's no braking system is that right? I've got about a .50 inch lift.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
what comany are you wanting to rent from??

I heard somewhere that UHaul was fasing out their 5x10 trailers but I could be mistaken

·
Registered
197 Posts
That's strange. When I rented from U Haul (twice now) I never had a problem renting a 6 X 12. All they did was check the sticker on my hitch to make sure I had a strong enough setup. All you need is a Class 3 for the 6 X 12.

·
Registered
303 Posts
yea I have had no problem renting trailers fro uhaul. The ball size is dependent on the reciever of the specific trailer you want. I think 2" will fit most of the uhaul trailers, but you have to check with them. its easy information to get.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
The more relevant question is: "Do you have the tow harness installed?"

U-Haul or other tow companies will deny you larger trails, because without the tow electronics you have no brake lights / turn signals off the trailer.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
The more relevant question is: "Do you have the tow harness installed?"

U-Haul or other tow companies will deny you larger trails, because without the tow electronics you have no brake lights / turn signals off the trailer.
This^^

The 2" ball is pretty standard on most "regular" trailers, however you will need to add nissan's 7-pin hitch harness or go with aftermarket...

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Don't go aftermarket. I just ripped all of that crap out of mine and went oem. It's only $61 and a simple clean install. Mine never worked right and I pulled out a big spaghetti mess of wires. Thank gawd no dmg was done...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
22,508 Posts
Hey Guys, Getting ready to move from NYC to Florida, and will be towing a trailer with our things, and when searching the forum here I'm seeing guys towing the 6x12, but I'm being denied the smaller 5'x10' for some reason, any idea why?

Looks like I'll have to go with the 5x8, which I think I can make work, but I've got a question about buying a Hitch. I'm looking at the Curt Mount 2. Anyone know if the 2" Ball is too large for the 5x8 Trailer?

Since it doesn't look like I can get the 5x10, I'm guessing I don't need the 7 to 4 pin connector since there's no braking system is that right? I've got about a .50 inch lift.
The 6x12 is fine to rent because it has hydraulic surge brakes built in. The 5x10 may not, and the Xterras brakes might not be rated to handle all that braking maybe? I've rented and towed a 6x12 about a half dozen times now with my X.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
^^Then again the brakes should be rated to tow 5000lbs right?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
You do not want to tow a 5000 lb trailer without brakes! That is roughly the weight equivalent of an entire X behind you with no braking ability... not fun.

U-HAUL is phasing out the 5x10 trailer size although I'm not sure why they denied you. If any trailer doesn't have brakes, I would be skittish about towing it on a long haul, so maybe they did you a favor. 5x8 holds a decent amount and is a good size if you aren't used to towing with your X. The 6x12 can be towed behind the X, but U-hauls design is prone to sway (i.e. trailer swerving back and forth behind you), so know what you are getting into and load your trailer carefully. There are some good accounts on this forum of towing the 6x12. However, it can be done if that's what you need.

Tell us why they denied you though, I'm curious.

·
Premium Member
9,952 Posts
The only thing I can think of is the particular place you want to pick it up does not have one available...

Like many others have said, i have rented them a handful of times and never had any issues...

From uhauls website:

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
I swear I just went through this in another thread.

Uhaul does not rent 5x10 trailers for one way moves out of town.
Why? Not sure. But I think it has to do with this new moving pod they offer.

Also, the 6x12 I rented only had a hydraulic breakaway, so if the trailer comes unhitched the brake gets activated.
There were no active breaks on the trailer, surge or electric, and the connection was a four pin.

Good luck on your move. Drive slow, play safe.

:)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The 6x12 is fine to rent because it has hydraulic surge brakes built in. The 5x10 may not, and the Xterras brakes might not be rated to handle all that braking maybe? I've rented and towed a 6x12 about a half dozen times now with my X.
I'm thinking thats the answer. Uhaul employees have close to no info.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the help everyone. I think those saying they are phasing it out are on the right track.

I'm not hauling a lot, 90% is boxes with clothing, books, and small kitchen stuff, pots and pans, dishes small electronics. I do have a 7ft solid hard wood dinging table top thats like a medieval castle door that the heaviest. which I plan to just lay flat.

So everyone agrees that I will def need that 7 pin harness for the brake lights yes?

·
on line
4,434 Posts
Get the OEM trailer wiring harness, it connects to the existing wiring harness with no fuss, no muss, no half-assed twist and torch wire nut hack jobs that Uhaul is well known for. Then you can simply get a 7 to 4 pin adaptor and plug it into the 7 pin socket.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 37 Posts