Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
on line
10,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hit a damn deer last night on the way home from dinner with friends. This sucks. Banged up the bumper pretty bad, although i don't really care about that because Shrockworks is on order. Besides that, pushed the headlight back, and either pushed the hood back a little or the fender back a little. The gap between the two is bigger on the impact side than it is on the passenger side. Who knows what got twisted/banged up behind the bumper. Anyway, I have an appt with the body shop & insurance adjuster on Monday morning. Here's some pics...

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Shrock was just a little too late. I think the Deer would have been ground meat if you had it and doubt you would have had any damage at all.

·
on line
1,084 Posts
I hit a deer once in a ford tempo....totaled it. Deer ended up being taken down by animal control in the middle of the road. Got yelled at for not keeping the deer for meat. Doesn't look like you were going too fast or the X must be built like a tank

·
on line
3,272 Posts
I have lived in LA my entire life, I can't even fathom what I would do if I hit a deer. Almost hit a few pedestrians but the sympathy dies quick when you see them give you the finger.

·
on line
279 Posts
Makes me wonder about the deer "whistles" they sell at the auto parts store, that you can mount out of sight. Some people say they work, others say they're junk.

I've gotta say, looks like you won that battle! That would have jacked most vehicles....

·
on line
432 Posts
Thats not bad damage at all for a deer impact. Glad it wasn't worse for you.

- Russell

·
on line
638 Posts
I hit one a few weeks ago going pretty fast. Got out and thing messed up on my truck was the foglight.. Stock metal bumpers are great!

Sorry that your X got busted up though :(

·
on line
169 Posts
Actually, thats confidence inspiring... (really it is) I know it sucks, but its good to see that you are okay.

Back when I was living in PA and driving a Tacoma, I took a deer down at about 60 mph. The only visible damage to the truck was a missing piece of plastic about 2 in x 8 in, right below the driver side headlight. but insurance wanted to replace the bumper, grille and headlights.

My dad hit a down deer in his G35, and did around $6,000 to engine and transmission.

No doubt though, the animals aren't exactly smart. During a Fire Dept. Parade two years ago, a deer ran into the drivers side door. With 3 Engines, a tanker, and a slew of pick-ups, this wasn't exactly a silent or invisible group. (we were running hot with lights and sirens) And that was in the middle of the day. Except for me almost going through the windshield, there was no damage.

·
on line
707 Posts
Creek said:
I'm just really happy i wasn't driving my Mazda 3...
Thats no joke! I hit a large dog a couple years ago in my Mazda Protege, comparable damage as you had to your X. I can't imagine if it had been a deer.

Glad you and the X are for the most part ok!

·
on line
316 Posts
Deer around my area have pretty much decided to hide in the foothills and mountains, every now and then I still see one from a semi splattering it on the highway. Sucks u couldn't get the shrock on before this happened.

·
on line
10,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Actually, this may all be sort of a blessing in disguise. Because i don't need to order a new OEM bumper cover, the money that would've been spent on that just goes toward the Shrockworks bumper.

After my consultation with the insurance adjuster, the initial estimate is $1200 in damage (including bumper cover). I have a check payable to me in the amount of $700 (1200-500 ded.) from Geico. I'm thinking about fixing it myself with parts from Brian at NoT.

There's definitely some bent metal and if i can figure out which metal brackets/pieces need to be replaced, i just may do it because the only other thing i think i need to replace is the headlamp assy. (as far as i know right now) I'm going to take the bumper cover and headlight assy. off within the next few days to see what's really going on in terms of damage - I just haven't had a chance to do it yet.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts