Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

How many seats to leave in the back bench?

Votes: 8 17.4%

Votes: 2 4.3%

Votes: 3 6.5%

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • Bacon

Votes: 28 60.9%
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
on line
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I'm planning on suspension seats in the front, with a shoulder bar behind the seats to mount the harnesses. With how small the back seat is already, and the fact that the X is a dedicated wheeler, I'm debating ripping out the other seats. Opinions?

·
on line
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe keep one for a camera man some time down the line (or, have a simple bench that you can just bolt in when needed).
There would still be a front passenger seat regardless of what happens in the back.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
From personal experience, you can remove the seats and have a nice surface for that, too, as long as you do not have shelves in the back. Gets to be too much junk in the truck for that kind of flexibility.

Besides, his truck will be big enough, you can set up a mini tent under it for that. :p

·
Registered
308 Posts
Unless you have a plan for the area where the seats are why remove them? If you're just wheeling they shouldn't get in the way and they are easy enough to remove if you need to put something big in the back. Plus it lets you have room for picking up passengers from lesser vehicles that broke down on the trail.

·
on line
22,508 Posts
So I'm planning on suspension seats in the front, with a shoulder bar behind the seats to mount the harnesses. With how small the back seat is already, and the fact that the X is a dedicated wheeler, I'm debating ripping out the other seats. Opinions?
Suspension seats and 3 or 5 point fixed harnesses make absolutely no sense. They are as opposite as oil and water. Fixed harnesses require fixed seats! But then again, a lot of this build seams to defy logic and common sense, so maybe this is par for the course...
Posted via Mobile Device

·
on line
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Suspension seats and 3 or 5 point fixed harnesses make absolutely no sense. They are as opposite as oil and water. Fixed harnesses require fixed seats! But then again, a lot of this build seams to defy logic and common sense, so maybe this is par for the course...
Posted via Mobile Device
o_O

Why then do companies like Prp and Mastercraft sell suspension seats designed to be used offroad with 5 point harnesses?

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
If my X was a dedicated off road, i'd probably weld up the rear doors and install some simple fold up bench seats on the "walls"

something like this

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you plan on running a 4 or 5 point harness I'd at least give some thought in eventually caging it. The reason being that a suspension seat and 5 points are designed to keep you in place during a rollover, not necessarily a good thing during a high speed rollover or repeated barrel roll where the roof may start to cave. Far be it from me to tell you how to build your X, but its something to think about.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
If you plan on running a 4 or 5 point harness I'd at least give some thought in eventually caging it. The reason being that a suspension seat and 5 points are designed to keep you in place during a rollover, not necessarily a good thing during a high speed rollover or repeated barrel roll where the roof may start to cave. Far be it from me to tell you how to build your X, but its something to think about.
or any rollover, at any speed. if you have 4-point or more harnesses you need a cage to keep the roof from smashing your head in when you flop over.

·
on line
4,594 Posts
With how small the back seat is already, and the fact that the X is a dedicated wheeler, I'm debating ripping out the other seats.
Are you going to remove the seatbelts, backseat pockets, cup holders, and door panels as well?

I mean no one will be back there, right?

/sarcasm

If you have a plan for that space that necessitates the removal of the seats ... go for it. But, removing the rear seat backs will greatly reduce the nice flat cargo area.

·
Registered
321 Posts
any why pull the rear seat backs out at all? the seat bottoms pop right out and you can fold the seat backs down for a flat floor. load your stuff however you want and if you need to put someone back there just dust off the old seat bottoms and stick em in.
This seems like the most useful approach. With the seat backs folded, you can put your Hi-Lift (and some other stuff) under them and they'll hold it in place; and there are ice/cargo boxes that just fit on the rear floor-space and come up to the level of the folded seats (they've been talked about here a lot; do a "Rubbermaid" search, I think). That makes the entire area behind the front seats a big, flat cargo space, but you still have the flexibility to re-install the rear seats for more passengers if needed. HPH

1 - 20 of 23 Posts