Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
on line
13,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I emailed Deaver, they called me back and laid it all out for me. The deavers are meant to replace the overload leaf. In turn they are there to allow more travel when offroading. BUT....BUT! Leaving the overload spring in will not hurt anything or damadge the deaver mini pack. So its up to all of you. Im leaving it in for my trip to TN. See how it goes, and make up my mind then. But either way, IT DOESNT HURT YOU AT ALL. If i was using the rig to just offroad every other day id take em out for sure. But right now there isnt a big enough reason to take em out.

·
on line
238 Posts
Man you guys forget I'm next door?

mcampana,
Do you know of someplace we can twist our springs up and compare? Right now we have very camparable setups for the rear suspension with the exception being the overload leaf.

MC,
I know you have dirt piles near and dear to you, but we can't get to them per the soft ground in the middle :sad3:

By the way I just installed my shims this weekend and the vibration is gone. The angles look much better. I also send Greg some pictures of before and after of the driveshaft angles at the pinion and the transmission.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Hey U guys, the pile I am talking about is out the back door of garage, Pictured here, the other piles were just made by the township when the dig the ditch I said I'll keep my topsoil, thanks! I just have to spread that out in the low spots. But you can get to this pile, it's their just for flex testing, this is my X stuffed with Timbrens. & 285's MC

·
on line
15,651 Posts
***Ignore the town idiot***

It will help when hauling, if you should ever flatten the springs, but let's hope that doesn't happen as I think that would mean you are overloaded.

·
on line
120 Posts
shims

OK Lords,

What the heck is a shim?
And what is that for?
Do I need it when I some day install the 2 1/2 deaver pack?
Does it come with the kit?

·
on line
2,077 Posts
a shim is exactly what it sounds like, it's a wedge shaped piece of metal that goes in between the leaf pack and the rear axle (fat part forward). raises the pinion angle so th drive shaft is not on an angle to the opening. this causes a vibration (bad!).....they will not come with the deavers...you may or may not need them, and if you do need them you will have to remove the u-bolts to put them in (so it's generally better to have them on hand and put them in when you put the deavers in....and according to greg at PRG, if you use shackles with the deavers you WILL need shims (i did)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts