Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
on line
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. Another noob, here. Fantastic forum, by the way.

I was considering the 1.5" Deaver AAL for my '08 OR but when I asked if this setup would affect my towing capacity, Deaver customer support told me "The mini pack is designed to enhance off road performance not haul weight, so yes it will compromise towing". Anyone have any real world experience with this? Is towing a 3000 lb trailer going to be an issue with the Deavers (with overload leaf removed)? Thanks guys.

·
on line
13,466 Posts
IF your going to tow, and have deavers, you need to leave in the overload leaf. I talked to one of the tech/ spring builders at deaver about this. And thats what he told me. If yer goona tow, leave in the overload leaf. I had my deavers plus the O.L. leaf in for about 15k miles. I recently took the O/L/ off because i was adding shackles and wanted some more articulation while offroading. I dont tow.

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
The information you get form Deaver is dependant on who talk to down there. Second, and this is by far the most improtant part, Deaver had nothing to do with the design of our Xterra spring, they just build them for PRG. They have never even installed a set of these springs. Or even riden in an Xterra that uses them. So calling them for info on our springs is pointless.

·
on line
1,123 Posts
Anything that you do that stiffens the rear springs (within reason) will help support the loads of towing. The trailer weight isn't the key issue though, the tongue load is. For the Xterra, you are supposed to have a tongue load of 9-11% of the trailer weight, with a maximum tongue load of 500lb. That means that for a 3000lb trailer you want a tongue load of roughly 300 lbs. So, to your rear suspension that is like adding 300lbs to the back of your rig. The add-a-leaf will help since you will sag less. None of this is taking into account if you have a weight distribution hitch though.

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Opps, you will be fine towing to the rated capcity of the Xterra. I tow a 3000lb trailer with mine all the time. I also to a 4000lb equpimnet trailer (empty) and it tows great. If your tongue weight is around 500 lbs or more, i do recomend adding a small airbag system though.

·
on line
71 Posts
I tow with a non-PRG sourced Deaver AAL, and have no problems with it supporting the tongue weight (about 400LB, and a 5000LB trailer).

However it does not cure the problem that the spring rate it too light in stock form, or even with my AAL's that are at the stock spring rate to keep the weight from bottoming the suspension unnecessarily. That is a fact with and without the overload leaf.

So Greg at PRG is right, add an auxiliary air spring if you don't off-road the truck (or don't worry about the loss of articulation due to the air spring) or Timbren rubber auxillary springs in lieu of your stock bump stops if you don't want to compromise your articulation.

You can tow with the setup, and the stock bump stops, but be prepared to feel a jolt every now and then.

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: This may be fairly useless info, cause you guys are talking about ADDED spring issues--

--When I tow my off-road trailer, fully loaded at 1150 lbs, my tongue weight is at 95 lbs and I have NO sagging or bottoming, with stock springs-

--With some trailer designs, there isn't much you can do, but by loading your trailer carefully, you can control the actual tongue weight and reduce rear spring loads--

-- :geek: :geek: --JIMBO

1 - 13 of 13 Posts