Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
on line
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Due to my hectic job schedules, I have to do all the planning way in advance. Will anybody here be interested in a trip to Death Valley some time this fall? I am thinking November and possibly early December. At this point, I am the only driver. My primary reasons for going are:

- Off-road driving
- Photography
- Camping

The current plan is to enter the park from the South West, stay one night at the Panamint Springs resort and then drive into the Northern part of the park through Hunter Mountain and Hidden Valley routes.

All of this is on-hold for now until I find at least another car. Please PM if you will be interested and we'll go from there.

·
on line
123 Posts
I'm going with some Friends from So Cal, we are looking at Oct at the moment. If you're interested I will keep you in the loop.

·
on line
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes!

Hi,

I am interested. What roads are you going to hit?

·
on line
1,891 Posts
I'm currently in the middle east, but I'm planning on taking about a month to go back home to SoCal around that time, and I will be driving out there. Keep me in the loop as well if you don't mind. I wouldn't mind doing some 'roadin' while I'm back in CA.

:cheers:

·
on line
123 Posts
The route hasn't been completed yet by the organizer. Right now he's looking at a 4 day trip. He'll have the entire route preplanned with GPS coord's and way points, so if people can't make the entire 4 days, we'll have areas that people can join mid trip.

When I get more information I will update on this thread.

- john

·
on line
1,792 Posts
Keep me in mind. I usually go to Death Valley several times during the fall. The Hunter Mountain Raod is one of my favorites. The Lippincott Road is another great road out of Saline Valley to keep in mind, and it's a bit more challenging.

·
on line
1,891 Posts
This would be my first time doing anytype of trail drivin' in CA, I've done it in Hawaii, and a little back in North Carolina. I'll just follow the guy in front of me... and hopefully my X don't get battered up too bad
:blackeye:

·
on line
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi,

I am glad that several folks replied so far! I would like to have a 4-5 day trip, but it depends on the schedule of other participants. Currently, my car is bone stock and hopefully I'll get sliders + tires + suspension + a rear bumper by the time things are ready to fall in place.

Now, please note, that I am by no means a hard core off road driver. I am new to the scene and I am still getting used to putting scratches on a brand new car. The good news is that I am honest when it comes down to self evaluation and this fall I am not planning on hitting any class 5 roads.

Here is a list of places I would like to see and drive through:

- Mengel's pass. This should be doable in a bone stock X. I have never done it, but my research suggests that there is only one hard part. Of course, this pass is subjected to flooding and weather effects and I may be wrong.

- Eureka dunes. Super easy. I know that people have gone to the dunes in stock sedans. I would not do it in a Civic w/o several spare tires, but a stock X would be just fine. It is about 40 miles on a dirt road one way; however, the view is spectacular. Whatever, I want to see the second tallest dunes in the U.S.

- The Race Track. I would love to go there again either looping from the North and going through 20+ miles of washboard OR coming in from the South. If there are enough photo enthusiasts, we could stay over night and take a picture of the race track at night. I can guarantee that it is going to be un-be-fing-lievable. If we can get something like this...

- Your ideas here :)

Of course, things can change. If we end up with a group of noobs, then we will take light to moderate routes. If we get some experienced folks who know the roads, then we can try other routes.

At this point, I am thinking of going either late October or early November. What do you guys have in mind?

·
on line
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here is a good site that has a list of roads that we may consider. Again, the final list depends on the drivers and the schedule. I would not want to run Lippencott Road if we have only noobs w/o any recovery equipment :)

http://www.deathvalley.com/4x4_death_valley/

·
on line
1,792 Posts
vman said:
Mengel's pass. This should be doable in a bone stock X. I have never done it, but my research suggests that there is only one hard part. Of course, this pass is subjected to flooding and weather effects and I may be wrong.

- Eureka dunes. Super easy. I know that people have gone to the dunes in stock sedans. I would not do it in a Civic w/o several spare tires, but a stock X would be just fine. It is about 40 miles on a dirt road one way; however, the view is spectacular. Whatever, I want to see the second tallest dunes in the U.S.
I have spent lots of time in Death Valley. I drove to Eureka Dunes in my Acura Integra, and I've been there four or five times in my X. It's way better in the X. You can continue up and over Steel Pass if you have a truck like the Xterra, too.

These trails are all amazing!!!

My buddy and I drove Mengel Pass in our Xs. Totally do-able, and you're right, there's only one hard part. But sliders and skids sure came in handy, especially the sliders. Both of us at the time had the sliders, but only I had the stock OR skids. Details like taking off the mudflaps were a must. Ditto for the Lippincott Road and Steel Pass. Any of the basic roads/trails could be done in our truck bone stock, it's just that without sliders and maybe skids you always run the risk of damage, oil pan punctures, and the like.

One more thing: if stock means stock tires, I'd think twice about the tougher trails in Death Valley. Your chances of destroying a Long/Rugged Trail tire are good (not that it couldn't be done).

·
on line
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, my mud flaps were taken off by nature during my last trip. They should not be a problem. As for the tires, I am getting a nice set of BFG M/T's which should be just right for some snowy mountain areas.

To the point: D-rap, so it sounds like you know your way around. How does you schedule look like this fall? I know that life has its own plans and may be if we get this started now, 3-4 cars could get together for some desert riding this fall.

·
on line
564 Posts
Bump...

Darn, this sucks...I know there was more replys in here!

Anyone set any firm dates yet?

Rob

·
on line
123 Posts
Weird... I could have sworn this thread was 2 pages long and I had at least another 2-3 replies in here...

Oh well.

My trip is set for Oct 4-7th. The route is being setup right now by the organizer.

I will post back when I get more info.

·
on line
123 Posts

·
on line
45 Posts
Man, this sounds really tempting. But I am still bone stock, and not really geared up for this stuff yet! (in the 5 week schrockworks wait cycle for sliders) I really would love to go and spend the nite and do some night photography... Hmmm... my wife is going to be gone on a "girls" trip that weekend too. Gotta think this over...

Marty :sad5:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts