Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
on line
14,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
The ham radio operators qualification allows you to transmit on 2 meter and 440 mhz frequencies.
2 meter communications carry better and farther than CB or FRS/GMRS radio frequencies do.
Clear communications make traveling together fun and enjoyable without the added stress of trying to determine what some one has said.

I found the wheat whiskey to be the least pleasant of the whiskies I tried there. the 2 malts were superior in flavor to me.

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
Cool,
Weather isn’t a problem for us. Except for wind.
I was more wondering about the space - If it’s open camping in the area/hard to find decent spots.
I’ve “backcountry” camped t the south by Dante’s view/peak, but never to the north by eureka
Usually lots of options in the dunes area. There are multiple designated campsites at two locations by the dunes. There are additional impromptu sites off the road as you head past the dunes toward Steel Pass, before it takes the turn south.

If the wind is up there is one semi-sheltered area that has worked for me. Where the road to Steel Pass takes a hard dog-leg to the right (south), you will find a faint track heading to the northeast. Head out there about a quarter mile. Seems to be in a bit of a wind shadow.

·
Registered - From Westminster, CA, USA
599 Posts
Usually lots of options in the dunes area. There are multiple designated campsites at two locations by the dunes. There are additional impromptu sites off the road as you head past the dunes toward Steel Pass, before it takes the turn south.

If the wind is up there is one semi-sheltered area that has worked for me. Where the road to Steel Pass takes a hard dog-leg to the right (south), you will find a faint track heading to the northeast. Head out there about a quarter mile. Seems to be in a bit of a wind shadow.
Well shoot, thanks for the great detailed reply.
I will mark the wind sheltered spot on the map. Thank you much

·
Desert Explorer
345 Posts
Well here are the pictures I got while on the EPIC journey Saline Valley was this year!

It started with a rainbow! Are you kidding me?

Cloud Rainbow Sky Water Plant

Wait there is more, once I got to the camping spot, there was another one right in front of the Haboob

Rainbow Cloud Sky Natural landscape Atmospheric phenomenon

First day, (for me) road building

Cloud Sky Wheel Tire Mountain

Car Tire Ecoregion Vehicle Sky

Road surface Wood Slope Asphalt Black-and-white

and jets
Cloud Sky Cumulus Wing Meteorological phenomenon

Then hiking:

Sky Cloud Natural landscape Mountain Plain

Wood Road surface Triangle Snow Asphalt

Attachments

21 - 32 of 32 Posts