Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
on line
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Today I received a doze of cold truth... As some of you know, my front differential has failed. I brought the car to the dealer and the initial report was in today: The diff is blown (doh!), but warranty may not cover it.

According to the service manager, there are two ways to do this type of damage: Axle sheering or axle overextension. Axle sheering is covered under warranty while axle overextension is not. I have asked to clarify axle overextension and manager said that this happens during excessive suspension droop, e.g. excessive bouncing while the car is moving. Is this not what off-road cars supposed to be designed for? If this is due to axle overextension, then I am out ~3K according to the similar work that has been done on other cars.

Questions:

1. How do you prove that the breakage was one type and not the other?

2. How do you justify axle overextension as "abuse?"

3. The dealer asked me to cover two hours of labor to determine what caused the problem. If this damage is not covered by the warranty, then I have to pay for this diagnostic on top of the reparis. Is this normal?

4. If the damage is not repaired under warranty, what is the best way to go? Should I ask my insurance company for the coverage or should I go to another dealership?

I have asked for an explanation of overextension and so far I was not able to get anything decent out of the dealer. Please help me if you were in the same situation or if you're more mechanically inclined than I am (I am pretty sure 70% of the users on this forum are).

Thank you!

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Uhhhh, is it just me or does the service manager seem to be addressing broken half shafts not broken diffs? This seems fishy!

What size tires are you running and what lift are you running?

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Oh... The dealer cannot ask you to cover any labor on the truck unless he knows for sure what the problem is.... If your truck is under warranty he MUST do the work on his dime untill he finds out what the problem is.... then if the problem is not covered under warranty he can charge you for ALL of it, but untill then its on his dime.

Tell that guy to go shove it. Ask him this... "how does axle overextension break the differential while keeping the axles in tact?"

·
on line
131 Posts
I believe he is stock. Most of the recent failures have been the axle splines breaking in the diff same as mine. Without removal and disasembly of the diff which the dealer will not do it is trashed so they just replace them.

VMAN ckeck you PM's.

·
on line
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Stock! Bone-freaking-stock!

As far as I am concerned this car is an innocent high school girl that has never been kissed! With 10K on the clock all stock parts on stock tires, this should be a no brainer right? I have inspected the car underneath. There is no signs of bent half shafts or axles. Everything is in pace and the exterior of the differential is untouched! The only thing that suggests some bouncing is probably the fact that my stock skids are bent a bit. However, we know that the stock skids are made out of tin foil + they do not cover the differential at all. Any damage to the skids should not be considered as "abuse" as far as I am concerned. They're there for a damn reason.

·
on line
376 Posts
Ask him how it can overextend w/ stock suspension. If it did, then that's a design flaw and would still be covered by warranty. He's feeding you a load of BS, but throw it back at him. Don't let him win!

·
on line
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
S_e_X-Terra said:
Oh... The dealer cannot ask you to cover any labor on the truck unless he knows for sure what the problem is.... If your truck is under warranty he MUST do the work on his dime untill he finds out what the problem is.... then if the problem is not covered under warranty he can charge you for ALL of it, but untill then its on his dime.

Tell that guy to go shove it. Ask him this... "how does axle overextension break the differential while keeping the axles in tact?"
I believe thats the arrangement that we had. I said that I was not going to pay anything until he does investigation. If it is not covered, then its on my dime. Or...

·
on line
3,262 Posts
If you are stock then going to this dealer is a waste of time.....

Seriously if he is already saying that he might not fix it, then he will be screwing you time and time again. Just find another place and never look back.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I agree. There is no reason what so ever that they should not be covering your problem. Call them, tell them not to touch it and then take it to another dealer.

·
on line
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay, well I told them to open it up some time ago, I assume that they'll do it. If they start feeding BS, then I will tell them to put it back as it was and I'll tow it to another dealership. Will that work? Or does it mean that I am pretty much stuck with this dealer from now on?

·
on line
4,495 Posts
Your a consumer. Its your money. Your never stuck with someone. Tell that service manager he needs to go back to UTI or whatever tech school he flunked out of. Tell him you want all that vomit he spewed in writing, then go to another dealership. Be nice to that guy, tell him your problem and show him what the orginal idiot had to say. If he sees along the lines of that guy, move forward to another one. Keep going until you find someone who knows whats going on.

Axle overextension? How does an axle over extend? Suspension, yes. Axle, huh? Like BWarren said, if the axle did get over extended than it was because the suspension allowed it to do so. The limitations of the CVs are controlled by the movement of the suspension. Even if that were to happen, the CVs would bind causing damage to themselves. I think most have agreed that the diffs are blowing because the R&P are to small for the amount of torque these rigs have, thus breaking and taking out the housing. How does a CV shaft moving to far out of tolerances do that? That service manager is a tool.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Dude your truck is under waranty.... you shouldnt even have to pay for him taking it apart and putting it back together. Tell him... "put it back together, and if you want your money for that BS call a lawyer!"

·
on line
576 Posts
vman, what dealership in the Bay Area did you go to?

·
on line
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Okay, mid-day update.

Talking to people after lunch is a much better idea! I talked to the manager again and the tone of the conversation was much better. I think that we just needed to get some coffee in the morning :) They're working on my truck and he is going to tell me what the deal is within an hour or so. I have expressed my concerns about axle overextension to him and with help of 'super6turbo4' I was able to provide a concrete argument.

But here is a twist: The breakage that is not covered by Nissan results from both extreme angles (overextension) and bouncing. According to the rep this can happen if the car jumps and drops hard on the ground. The axle slams into the differential causing the issue. Does this sound fishy to you or what? After talking to the manager it sounded that if that is the case Nissan will have to prove that this damage is due to bouncing.

·
on line
279 Posts
Frankly, this thread straight pisses me off. Axle over-extension? If the axle can over-extend enough to cause a failure on a 100% stock vehicle, well, that's just a piss-poor suspension engineering job, isn't it? Same is true of the 'bouncing' crap he gave you. They shouldn't even begin to think about splitting hairs about why something failed on a completely stock vehicle. Nissan should be forced to replace it 100% on their dime without question, and kiss your arse in the process.

Ya ya, I know. I'm talking about utopia. But the more I hear about warranty issues, the more I think that Nissan is going so far in trying to find grounds for denying warranty claims that it's now bordering on illegal. I hope Lloyd Schwartz reams them.

In the meantime, I guess I'll just keep an 'extra' 3 grand around for when my diff fails, and they refuse warranty because of my 2" spacer lift. :mumum:

·
on line
2,876 Posts
wow!!!!!!!

yeah, nissan dealers seem to think they can screw us. Seems NISSAN corporate is much better.... try these emails: it worked for me.... i would email them all this list your concerns in a clear concise manner and tell them what is going on. I did at one dealership and the service manager disappeared from that dealer a couple weeks later. Either she was incompetent and this was the last straw, or she left, I don't know, big coincidence though...And nobody every mentions her... Also, it is good to follow up with a call but in my case (the 10w-30 oil change thing versus manufacturer required 5w-30) the vp out on the west coast called me directly, i got a complete refund, and they told me that the practices of the dealers were being investigated and they would be changing their ways. The dealer that did the 10w-30, still hasn't changed, except now they say (for your truck, it'll be xtra because we have to run down the street to get it special).... what a crock...

maybe the email list should be a sticky????

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I don't know about "bouncing" causing "over extension", but what bouncing does do it put a tremendous amount of stress on the half shafts and CV joints. Seeing as they are stronger than the diff, the diff will blow.

This stress comes from the on again off again traction that the tires will get.

No matter what your configuration, avoid wheel hop at all cost, it will kill driveline components in any vehicle.

To be honest, I have no idea how they can tell what caused the failure unless there is physical damage, such as cracking the case with a rock or something.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts