Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I was at the dealership yesterday to get some warranty work done on a leaky transfer case. They also found that the rear axle seal and front diff were leaking as well and fixed those under warranty. (I am still wondering how that happens with only 30,000 miles on it.)

Anyway, I mentioned I am glad this happened before I put the AMSOIL in the drive-line and he was trying to tell me that AMSIOL products are bad for Nissan vehicles on account of Nissans being "Sensitive" and I should only use what the dealership sells to put in my Xterra. Pissed me off because a gentleman that I served in Afghanistan with is a Factory Dealer for AMSIOL and I can get it cheaper through him than Mobile 1 at Walmart!

I call bullpoop on this one. What is your experience?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Of course they are going to tell you that everything not Nissan is going to destroy your truck. My experience is that only the auto-transmission is picky on fluids and the Matic S stuff should be used. All the other fluids in my truck are either mobile 1 or not nissan.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can't use AMSOIL in the Auto Trans? That sucks, I can get the Signature Series ATF for 10 bucks per quart.

AMSOIL's website says it is compatible with Nissan Matic-S.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
I can't use AMSOIL in the Auto Trans? That sucks, I can get the Signature Series ATF for 10 bucks per quart.

AMSOIL's website says it is compatible with Nissan Matic-S.
i used valvoline ATF for when i did my flush and fill a few months ago. its running with no problems so far

·
Registered
8 Posts
There are a few here that have used the non-Nissan ATF fluid with good results. But I would say the majority use the Nissan ATF.. I don't think its a death sentence, but I just can't risk it myself right now.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I don't think it has to do so much with brand, than type of fluids....some synchros (manual trans) and some clutches (lsd rear) don't like synthetics...as in damaged eventually. Not saying Nissan per se, as I don't know, but this is true on some other vehicles.

·
Premium Member
22,508 Posts
Of course they are going to tell you that everything not Nissan is going to destroy your truck. My experience is that only the auto-transmission is picky on fluids and the Matic S stuff should be used. All the other fluids in my truck are either mobile 1 or not nissan.
i used valvoline ATF for when i did my flush and fill a few months ago. its running with no problems so far
As long as the tranny fluid is Matic-S compatable you are fine. Don't be a sucker. Do some research. I've run valvoline mastic-s compatible fluid for years, as have many others who aren't sheep. The people who tell you you can't are sheep who see one fool post it on a forum then they repeat it 5 times spreading misinformation without ever actually researching.

·
Premium Member
9,952 Posts
Dealership says AMSOIL is bad for Nissan.

I've had max life in the trans for the last 20 k or so. No difference in shifting at all. Just the usual slightly better with fresh fluid.

If it is shifting slow/sluggish, you are probably just slightly low on fluid (these things are very sensitive to fluid levels)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I've had max life in the trans for the last 20 k or so. No difference in shifting at all. Just the usual slightly better with fresh fluid.

If it is shifting slow/sluggish, you are probably just slightly low on fluid (these things are very sensitive to fluid levels)

Fluid levels were always good. That was the first thing I checked.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Strange. I'm very picky about that kind of stuff and there was no difference for me.

I'm super picky too. I'll put Amsoil everywhere else. Matic S for the transmission. It's only a couple dollars more per quart and completely worth it to me. There were a couple other guys on one of the Facebook groups who had the same issues.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
If you actually read the fluid specs in the owners manual I think every fluid listed (except the ATF) the manual actually lists "or approved equivalent" in everything I believe except the ATF.

ATF is your call. I did the research and stayed with the matic S myself. Its the most chemically complex fluid in any vehicle, so I just decided to stay with that, but others here have had equal luck with other brands (I am at 210,000 - no issues).

I happen to also use the Nissan coolant, because it is supposedly a full OAT fluid. There are a couple other brands of full OAT fluids available, but since the local auto parts store doesn't carry those either I order the nissan stuff off flea bay - likely for way too much money.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts