Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
on line
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my wife take the Xterra to have the drivers seat cushion replaced due to wear on the material. So while she was in there I figured she could take a print out of the TSB for the cam bolts with her to have that addressed also. They told her no!!! WTF? So what should I do now to get this fixed? I'm going to be adding lift one day and I will need them.

·
on line
2,081 Posts
It only affected a certain date range, maybe your X isn't in that range?

·
on line
2,938 Posts
If your cam bolt has the indicator lines you are all set.

·
on line
266 Posts
did they replace the seat cover free of charge?

·
on line
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The seat cover was replaced under warranty.

The bolts are the ones that NEED to be replaced. I guess I'll try another dealer?

·
on line
641 Posts
JasonK06X said:
I had my wife take the Xterra to have the drivers seat cushion replaced due to wear on the material. So while she was in there I figured she could take a print out of the TSB for the cam bolts with her to have that addressed also. They told her no!!! WTF? So what should I do now to get this fixed? I'm going to be adding lift one day and I will need them.
If you read the TSB carefully, you'll see that not having the cam bolts is not a defect, it's just that some genius from Nissan decided that from August 15th, 2005 on, cam bolts where no longer needed. The only way they will do something is if they determine that a camber/caster alignment is needed, but if the alignment is fine, they won't replace them. If you lift your truck, then they won't replace them either since you modified the suspension.

I went and bought the cam bolts, installed them myself and took my X back to Firestone for my lifetime alignment (thanks MC :thumbright: ). My camber is within specs but not my caster. I guess the mechanic didn't know how to fix the caster.

BTW, can anybody check the service manual and tell me how to fix the caster so I can take it back to firestone and show them how to fix itr?

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Offroad said:
...took my X back to Firestone for my lifetime alignment (thanks MC :thumbright: ).
Wonder who told MC about Firestone. ;)

After my last trip to Firestone they said that in order to get everything aligned they had to throw my caster out. I didn't have time to talk to the guy as I was leaving for a long weekend trip so I am not sure why the caster would have to be out to get the toe and camber within spec.

I'll take a look at the service manual for you.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
js479 said:
How can you tell if you have these bolts or not? Anyone have a picture of where to look?
Look under Pony's Post SAS is a GO! Deep in that post you will find the picture, but it can also be found by the build date and looking at the TSB.
Or, just call the dealer and ask them. Or do all 3. MC

·
on line
641 Posts
js479 said:
How can you tell if you have these bolts or not? Anyone have a picture of where to look?
These are the bolts that attach you LCAs to the crossmember. If your washers are off centered like the ones on this pic, you have the cam bolts:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts