Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK, so my wife had some choice words as to my mental capacity when I told her my plan, but what the heck, I figured I'd go for something different after considering the "Satoshi Mod".

I ordered the emblem online, it was from, I believe, an 82 Datsun pickup truck. It need some tlc . I spent about 4 nights doing various coats painting it. It was harder than I thought it would be.

I took the sawz all to the grill while my wife stood there with a look of confusion/anger

I got the grill from custom car grills for 20 with trim

I just used wire cutters to trim, then put on the rubber trim

I secured using wire and painted them black, put the emblem on, and bam!
I've had it on for 2 days and I've definitely got some funny looks, haha

What's cool is I have extra screen so when I get bored with this, I might do the satoshi mod with Nissan spelled out in small white letters

·
TNX Administrator
20,378 Posts
Ha Ha.... Now that is going to really confuse some folks!! But, it does look pretty good.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Nice I really like the look of it

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
Yeah, there aren't many options other than billet aluminum slat grills for us (05-08s do get spiderwebs, though). And nearly all of them have the cutout for the burger.

OP seems to have bought a grille for another car and simply cut it down; you could get the same result by buying a small sheet of expanded metal (available at Home Despot and the like) and just have a lot left over. Might even be cheaper.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks all.

Here is the website for ordering the various mesh patterns they have. Be sure to get the rubber trim.

http://www.customcargrills.com/Diamond-Grill-Mesh.asp

One thing I would suggest doing, I had initially kept a couple of the triangular sections of the original grill in there for support. After I fitted the new one up it looked like crap since you could see straight through the mesh, so I cut those out and ground down. If you already have a painted upper fascia, remember to repaint it since the plastic you will be cutting through is gray and you will be able to tell the difference.

Still debating on what to do with the Nissan badge on the back....I already removed the sticker from the air dam

And yeah, all the "custom" prefit grills they have out for the Xterra online have that big plastic burger still for mounting the emblem, so i needed to fab something up.

·
on line
10 Posts
Me like! My first car was a new 1978 Datsun 510 (dating myself) - had it for 20 years until a lady pulled out in front of me and totaled it. Very partial to Datsuns and Nissans.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Awesome! Like Subzilla, my first car was a '72 510 when I was in high school in '78, then a 620 p/u and a '71 240Z. Had a '98 Pathfinder until about three months ago. Datsuns/Nissans have always been special to me and that badge brings back a lot of memories. Great idea.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Looks awesome. Funny thing is when I got insurance on my X it came up as Datsun instead of Nissan.

·
Premium Member
9,791 Posts
i dig it! good job.

now what about those little grills on the sides?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts