Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
on line
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any instructions for removing the 1" tweeters on the dashboard, completely disconnecting them, or better yet, recommend some drop in tweeters up there that come with a component set of speakers. I'm thinking the Alpine SPR-13S Componenet Syetm for the front. Thanks.

·
on line
631 Posts
pop the plastic grille off, remove the tweeter with those little tiny screws/bolts (i forget which one they were)... maybe they were allen head or sumthin... but thats it. then disconnect em! mine are removed but i too am looking for replacement tweeters, need some highs up front.

·
on line
178 Posts
I had these recently installed in the front door and in the dash spot for the tweeter

http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/products/mmc6500/

I have a Polk C400.4 amp powering them and the 5 1/4 Polk momos coaxial in the back door and the difference is startling....Steely Dan has NEVER EVER IN A MILLION YEARS sounded so clear and perfect in my X. I love Alpine, but from what I have heard from several pro's in the audio realm is that Alpine quality is going down and that they are not even made in Japan anymore. Mexico, and Indonisa.

·
on line
1,574 Posts
i just installed polk dl1000s i got from crutchfield on price break for about 60. great deal. as far as installation, the bolts on mine were a beotch to get out, they were right in the corner on the dash and windshield so you couldnt fit a socket onto it. its a 6mm bolt, so if you have a wrench, thatll help.

i had to make custom mounts out of plastic i spray painted black. i have pics if you would like to see them. its great, no vibrations at all. as far as the crossovers, i just soldered the ones that came with the tweetes right into the existing wires. then shoved them (carefully of course) underneith the dash.
tweeters make the biggest differnce
all in all it works great
good luck with your project

·
on line
30 Posts
I got MB Quart 6x9 in front and 6.5 in rear. They are premium speakers with crossovers that I tucked in between the foam weather barrier and plastic door panels. They have an option for coaxial tweeter mounting - not my favorite, but easy. They pivot on a slight angle. They sound way better than stock. Steely Dan is a good test CD to get the cymbals and low bass.

THe stock non-RF tweeters are not bad but don't have a treble -dB setting, so are too sizzling for my taste. I used a 7mm box wrench to loosen then had to hand loosen the bolts - PITA.

The MBs adjust from 0, -1,5, -3, -4.5 or -6.0 dBs.

It seems a few hours work to fish the tweeter wire back through the rubber tube and into the dash. Otherwise, I'm sticking to my coax position. I can run both the dash and door tweeter but again...too much treble.

·
on line
178 Posts
lostboy said:
did you install a cross over or does the stock 'cross over' work just fine.
The Polks come with a passive crossover...just used that.

·
on line
331 Posts
alpine7513 Where did you put the crossover? I am looking at the same system.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts